Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Hikes Annual Price of UK Phone Line Rental Saver Plan to £141  (Read 4696 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

I guess someone has to pay for all the pundits they have signed up for their sports service...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/06/bt-hikes-price-of-annual-uk-phone-line-rental-saver-plan-to-gbp141.html#comment-76061

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: BT Hikes Annual Price of UK Phone Line Rental Saver Plan to £141
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »

I guess someone has to pay for all the pundits they have signed up for their sports service...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/06/bt-hikes-price-of-annual-uk-phone-line-rental-saver-plan-to-gbp141.html#comment-76061

Ouch, I wonder if it's time for me to consider moving to another phone-only provider, mind you I don't think I can if I want to keep my BT Business Infinity service as I thought I need to be with BT (for the phone side). Will do some maths later, suggestions are welcome though, especially if someone knows whether I'm tied to BT Residential for the phone due to being with BT Business for Infinity FTTC.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »

Hi Ixel,

From a practical viewpoint there is no need for any phone service on a VDSL line via a FTTC, as the then Rutland Telecom demonstrated, despite the major obfuscation they encountered.
However I believe it is a BT wholesale stipulation that a phone service is mandatory so that is almost certainly included within the terms & conditions you agreed to.
Given that several ISPs now offer phone and VDSL broadband services combined or individually, I believe you could in theory make any changes you wish, subject to any contract term you have agreed to.

Kind regards,
Walter

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »

It's perhaps not worth the grief, but for those who are willing to pay for a year's line rental up front, TalkTalk is currently charging £114.

Though TalkTalk is likely to follow BT and raise its own rental charge, too.  For those seeking that £27 saving, it's maybe a case of "get in quickly" before the charge does rise.

http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/valuelinerental

cheers, a

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »

I see. Well I can't do anything yet, my line rental saver is active for another few months which by then I expect other providers will have followed suit, though I imagine there will be some cheaper options still around.

anything