Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: more errors using HG612 on ECI DSLAM?  (Read 15791 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: more errors using HG612 on ECI DSLAM?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »

Yes finding info on the 3370 is hard, as it seems most people with a fritz just go for the premium 3790 modem, but the 3370 is newer gen and does have a better dsl chipset.

The 3370 can do all the adjustments the 7390 can however I have yet to find a way to get telnet access, so be warned on that.  So the only way to alter values not in the gui is to changed a backed up config file and then upload it.

also since the 3370 ships with new firmware, there is no bridge mode, fritz removed that feature on newer firmwares.  Bridge mode is probably still possible but only via manual configuration isntead of a simple tickbox.

I dont actively use the tuning, I just tried it once to settle a tbb argument.  I am also currently usign the hg612, I probably would be using the fritz if I got the bridge mode working.

I see, well the 7390 is what I had last year, but sold it on as I preferred using the HG612 and also found my 7390 to occasionally 'crash' and reboot itself. I'll have to do some further reading before I consider whether or not to buy one as bridge mode is also important to me. I think I found something about telnet in that you have to flash it from the web interface with a small script that tells telnet to start up. If interested I'll send the link here (if I can find it again that is).

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »

@ BKat hmmm I wouldnt say using ping is meaningless :) - as your probably aware, when testing for packet loss over ones local network (home->router->msan->ISP-->host) it can tell you whether or not your ISP is having congestion problems in the exchange or network route they use to that host, if my host (BBC) reports poor results (which it never does) then I would expand the test to other hosts to ensure its my ISP/exchange....for that reason I think its a good tool to use? it gives you an idea of the latency you have, i know connecting to different websites and servers can yield different results but at least it informs you of your 'local' network anyway.

still not convinced about TBB packet loss results.. because they test at 1 ping per second which isnt very rigorous and it ALWAYS says I have small amounts of packet loss... I dont think I have, someone was just asking me about this last week on Sky Forums, concerned their TBB graphed showed packet loss, I asked them to use HRping to some degree and it reported zero packet loss, the graphs are only any good if you do NOT use your connection, because if you do it will show up on the graph, one has to already be knowledgeable enough to know this..otherwise Joe Bloggs goes screaming onto the ISP forum saying they have congestion lol
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »

Let me just say that I am not too enamoured by certain persons and certain implementations of utilities at TBB. The TBB ping tester and its graphs are of no significance or real relevance. I don't want to say any more on the subject.  :no:

Remember, when a core or an edge or a service router is heavily loaded, it will drop any ICMP Echo Request/Echo Reply packets and just concentrate is its 'proper task'.

[Edited for a spelling error.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:29:50 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 12:55:48 AM »

Let me just say that I am not too enamoured by certain persons and certain implementations of utilities at TBB. The TBB ping tester and it graphs are of no significance or real relevance. I don't want to say any more on the subject.  :no:

Remember, when a core or an edge or a service router is heavily loaded, it will drop any ICMP Echo Request/Echo Reply packets and just concentrate is its 'proper task'.

I agree with you on that - hence me getting packet loss results when I dont have packet loss :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:45 AM »

In many years of using tbb, its alerted to me to many problems.  If I have a line problem 95% of the time I know about it from looking at the tbb graph.

eg. how did I know I had a line fault from 2-4am when I am asleep, I see say 300k CRC errors for the day in the modem, but how do I know the time? the big red splodge on the tbb graph is how.

snadge if the graph shows packet loss then you getting packet loss. but you also have to know how to use this kind of data, and understand that its measuring your connection between tbb and yourself.  Having a 2nd graph hosted elsewhere such as http://fruk.net/index.php?fruk=f8lure can be useful to collaborate results.

Occasionally things can go wrong.  eg. occasionally I have seen packetloss show on all tbb graphs for a given isp due to a congested peering link, but when that happens its a case of simply discarding that set of data.

To say tbb graphs are near enough useless is a very strong statement to make which I disagree with.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »

eg. how did I know I had a line fault from 2-4am when I am asleep, I see say 300k CRC errors for the day in the modem, but how do I know the time? the big red splodge on the tbb graph is how.
You could (possibly do) use either of Bald_Eagle_1's or Roseway's excellent tools, either of which will give you far more useful information. :) They won't tell you about other causes of packet loss out there in the network, but from your example above, you seem to be diagnosing line errors from noting the delays caused by packet retransmission or loss.

Each to their own :), but I would bet most people would need to have a perfect (near error-free) line first, before nneding to look out to the network for other causes - which do of course exist, including ISP's dropping packets because of congestion.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »

You could (possibly do) use either of Bald_Eagle_1's or Roseway's excellent tools, either of which will give you far more useful information. :) They won't tell you about other causes of packet loss out there in the network, but from your example above, you seem to be diagnosing line errors from noting the delays caused by packet retransmission or loss.

Each to their own :), but I would bet most people would need to have a perfect (near error-free) line first, before nneding to look out to the network for other causes - which do of course exist, including ISP's dropping packets because of congestion.

yes I do run those tools and that also would have confirmed and it probably did.

But regardless it shows tbb graphs (or any other 3rd party graphs) are not useless.  Remote ping monitoring is a big thing in the industry, noone said its perfect but its widely used as its useful..

there is also several tools made for diagnostic purposes that are based on pinging such as mtr and pathping.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »

But regardless it shows tbb graphs (or any other 3rd party graphs) are not useless.  Remote ping monitoring is a big thing in the industry, noone said its perfect but its widely used as its useful..
Very few things are fully useless, but all a ping test tells you at best is that there may be some sort of issue to investigate. The fact that everybody 'does it'  - a big thing in the industry - does not necessarily mean that it's as useful as people believe, it's just what 'everybody' does. Some people 'in the industry' believe that Windows 8 is a good thing too.  ;D  Nobody's saying you shouldn't use it - some of us just don't think it's as good a diagnostic tool as you do.  As I said, though, each to their own. :friends:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »

well yeah, the hg612 plotter also requires a pc to be on running it, initially I wasnt running it. whilst remote ping graphs tend to only need the router on.  there is pros and cons, but I just wanted to counter the argument that its useless.

a ping plotter isnt designed to give a full diagnosis, but I have found it useful for evaluating line error rate performance on both adsl and vdsl.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything