Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI electrical panel...  (Read 4286 times)

huwwatkins

ECI electrical panel...
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »

I didn't realise they had electricity meters in there - suppose they have to pay their bills too. I hope their smart meters - don't fancy being the guy going round reading them all!

This one was in Letchworth with the door swinging in the wind. I'd put money on a subcontractor having left it open.

moojuice

Re: ECI electrical panel...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »

That needs to be reported if it's been left open.. before some littke oik comes along and beats the crap out of it and 100 or so poor subscribers lose their connection. The only good thing that could happen is the oik gets a shock  >:D

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/tellussomething/tellussomethingaboutournetwork/tellaboutnetwork.do

huwwatkins

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:52 PM »

I phoned them as soon at I saw it - I was quite impressed actually. I got an indian call centre when I phoned but the helpful chap managed to narrow down and find the offending cabinet on his system. He logged the call and gave me a reference number.

20 minutes later a UK based operator called me back from 'openreach damage control' (or that's what I think it was called!) to check some details about what type of cab it was - I explained that it was a fibre cab and he said it was classed as dangerous as there was 240v in there and that it would be sorted asap!

To be fair I was more concerned about it being damaged by the elements that anything else.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:15:54 PM by huwwatkins »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »

I am somewhat surprised that the cabinet needed to be reported.  :o

According to written documentation and careful observation, all doors on FTTCs are monitored. A door being left open, as in the photograph, should have triggered an alarm status in the monitoring centre.  :-X

Notice the white rectangle on the door and its partner on the framing? They are the two halves of the door sensor, part of the remote monitoring and alarm circuitry.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

huwwatkins

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »

Hi
I didn't know that. I passed it on the way in to town and it was still there when I left around an hour later so though I'd better let them know.

Interesting you should say they are monitored. When my FTTC was being installed the MJ Quinn guy had a phone call and it sounded like he was being bollocked for leaving a cab door open.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:28:07 PM by huwwatkins »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:44:09 PM »

Interesting you should say they are monitored.

Indeed, they are. Many different parameters are monitored . . . ranging from a FTTC's 'bulk' absence from the network (because a roaming gang of pikeys have 'made off' with it or short-sighted Horace has rammed it with his car), the failure of the local mains supply (i.e. the DSLAM is running from it battery), over-temperature within the cabinet, right down to a door being opened, etc.

bossian

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »

How much juice does these cabs require? That looks like a full 100amp service in there!! Bit overkill I think

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »

From our ISIS regs ..........

'The cable tails connect the electricity meter to the cabinet MCB (32A)[Huawei 288] and (16A)[Huawei 96]'

bossian

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »

32amp/16amp......that's like 3/6kw....hungy kit then! Still don't warrant a full 100amp service I'm sure  :'(

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

Hi Huw,

Thanks for the picture. It's the first time I've seen a picture of inside of power distribution side of an ECI cabinet.
I would have guessed that it was a 60 Amp supply but I could be wrong.
I agree that it's a significant overkill and I am also surprised that there is a meter installed.
I wonder if this cabinet is in some sort of sampling regime ?
It seems absolutely crazy to expect BT Openreach and the meter reader contractor to meet at every FTTC !
BOTH staff would be required as the power door (and the ECI IDC side door) have no external latch so must be released from inside the main logic compartment door.
You'll see most street lights only have a much smaller cut-out unit without any metering so there must be a standing charge agreed for most street furniture.

I have watched the commissioning of an ECI 128 and, with a single line card installed in cool temperatures, the 48** Volt DC ammeter registered 50 Amps.

** I'm assuming it is a nominal 48 Volt DC supply with 4 * 12 Volt batteries series-installed as can be seen on the warning labels.

I also observed the doors being tested locally so there is logic in the FTTC / testing lap top which can segregate a door alarm locally and remotely via the fibre, as well as reporting that data back up the 5 pr telemetry cable via a dial up modem connection.

However it seems probable that all the door alarms are connected in series so an Emergency report would have to be declared for every open cabinet whether it was classed as dangerous or not.
Hence the telemetry control centre staff will be bored out of their minds watching all the UK's FTTC staff working everywhere.

I expect BS's references are to the BT side breaker pictured below.

Kind regards,
Walter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »

I noticed its a seperate door to the main door, is it possible that the electrical company is contracted to have access to that side door for meter access?

That alarm system possible then also may log whenever the door is opened as well.

Fuggi

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »

Guys

The electricity meter is read via the phone line mounted above it, this is the same as each exchange and LLU installation.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 08:33:55 PM »

I noticed its a seperate door to the main door, is it possible that the electrical company is contracted to have access to that side door for meter access?

That alarm system possible then also may log whenever the door is opened as well.

Due to the way that those cabinets are constructed, the left-hand side 'power access' door can only be released after the main, front, door has been opened.

As Fuggi has confirmed, the meter is 'read' remotely through a telemetry interface.

anything