Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does ISP have any control over connection on FTTC?  (Read 7860 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Does ISP have any control over connection on FTTC?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »

@ Chrysalis,

Our experiences around last Christmas were that request to change profile on a Zen VDSL service works perfectly UNTIL you discover that a DLM reset is required which in turn requires a BT Openreach visit.

That said, BT Openreach procedures do seem to be revised often or the engineers are still discovering what can be done.

I found this week that an Openreach engineer on site can use his laptop via our VDSL service to reset the DLM whereas beforehand he had to call his control.

HELP please BS !

Kind regards,
Walter

Hi Walt

I've mentioned a few times on here about engineers having access to GEA Whoosh. It's not something that is automatically handed out to our profiles, but with a bit of searching, can be requested for access to.
On top of that, I believe but have never tried it, that we can now do a reset via our mobile phones once the task is 'pinned' to us. IE: the engineer would need a 'live' task in which to do this.

I prefer the Whoosh access myself as it gives a comprehensive look at historic behaviours, baseline differences (only sometimes ?), and DLM changes. Plus, it allows the applying of interleaving or banding. It doesn't require a 'live' for this, just the circuits OGEA xxxxxxx reference. We can't just go re-setting lines willy nilly though, as a documented reason has to be given for the reset, and an engineers ID 'timestamp' is registered against the reset. I have used it on my own circuit, but for scientific purposes only. ;) ;D. I still have no idea why DLM saw a 'bridged tap' on my line for a few days, then for some reason it didn't, hence my manual reset.

So you can apply interleaving/banding to overide DLM?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Does ISP have any control over connection on FTTC?
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

A possible consolation prize;
 My exchange having gone FFTC some time ago, my ADSL performance seems a little faster and decidedly more stable which I put down to reduced crosstalk . It depends on your requirements, if you are an online gamer or looking for a status symbol, then anything will be too slow !

yeah adsl also gets crosstalk but it doesnt get the same attention as FTTC, I think what brought it into the light on FTTC is when vectoring got developed, then all the vendors started publishing crosstalk data to show what vectoring can do.  If vectoring never got developed I think crosstalk data wouldnt have been published.  Whether or not adsl crosstalk is as severe as FTTC (around 40%) no idea.  But due to FTTC power cutback on the adsl tones, adsl users according to vendor documents and ofcom documents are expected to get increased performance as neighbouring VDSL lines are more friendly (due to the cutback) than neighbouring adsl lines.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything