Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: O2 outsources mobile phone support to C(r)apita  (Read 6891 times)

O2 outsources mobile phone support to C(r)apita
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »

Bit of a heads up for you peeps who had O2/Be and a mobile with O2.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/21/o2_outsourcing/

Telefonica is frankly buggered boys and girls, they have too much debt, home market is dead and any potential buyer knows its a firesale from now on.

My bet is we come full-circle and BT buy the mobile business. Soon.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: O2 outsources mobile phone support to C(r)apita
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:28:42 PM »

Oh dear.. Doesn't look too good for O2 :(

I don't have much respect for the so called consulting agencies such as capita and atos etc.   They have heir fingers in way too many pies and for some reason I find it quite worrying.  Known for creaming off huge amounts of private and public funds for fat cats yet paying employees peanuts resulting in the inevitable poor service and low moral staff. 
Not to mention bad practices, some huge controversies.. and wasting tax payers money, because these so called incentives by such agencies often means its the public purse that suffers. :-X
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »

>>>> My bet is we come full-circle and BT buy the mobile business. Soon.

Indeed,  i did suspect similar....  although I must admit I did wonder about EE too
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:48:53 PM »

Having been a past customer of O2 BB and still have one PAYG mobile with them I have to say they have been a good company to use in the past,never had any problems and if needed their support has always been excellent

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »

I don't have much respect for the so called consulting agencies such as capita

There's a reason I added an "r" ;)

Capita were the ones who got the Labour party to introduce IR35 in return for big fat donations to party funds. I despise both.

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:31 AM »

Aren't they heavily tied in with the DVLA too? Sounds more like 'catheter' to me.  :lol:

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »

Aren't they heavily tied in with the DVLA too? Sounds more like 'catheter' to me.  :lol:

Labour gave Capita contracts for everything from ID cards to (mis)managing hospital payrolls. They are incompetent scum, as are the party who gave them the contracts - still Labour got looked after with plum non-exec jobs and party funds/loans so that's fine then. The staff at (for example) Leicester Royal Infirmary who went unpaid for more than three MONTHS may disagree however.

If you find C(r)apita involved in any product or service you use then my advice is run, don't walk, but run away as fast as you can. Whatever they're doing WILL end up as a disaster.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »

Disaster....so far not with my small civil service pension ;D

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »

Disaster....so far not with my small civil service pension ;D

Strangely enough the Civil Service Pension Service wasn't one of the areas Capita offshored/starved of cash.

Shurely shome mishtake as the (sadly) increasingly irrelevant Private Eye would say ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:03:44 PM »

Not offshored (yet) but majorly starved.  I went to school right next door to Hesketh House...  Which is case you didn't know is where all civil servant, LA authority and NHS pensions are processed.

In fact the high school was built because of the huge proportion of DHSS staff on a new estate where about 1 in 2 households had someone who was a civil servant or ICI  worker and a new school had to be built to accommodate the influx of civil servants  with kids to the area

It's probably not an under estimation to say that easily 20% of my friends when leaving school (as long as they had the necessary GCSEs) would end up working as civil servants there.

These days jobs there are VERY scarce.  All of my friends who were 'civil servants' are now employed by capita, those that are still there moan about how things have changed. 

Anyone new who is taken on is working under not good conditions.   In fact my daughter worked there for a short time when she left school. She thought she had a job, but would report for work to be told nothing to do today so no wages and sent home.  It was a nightmare for her trying to sort out how many hours she had or hadn't worked with the job center.    Some weeks it was ok, others she wouldn't have anything, hence her deciding to look elsewhere because it was just too unpredictable.

I can imagine once those who were 'protected' during the DHSS to Capita  transition, reach retirement themselves, that things may change dramatically.
-----

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »

Oh dear. I've just received my annual P60 from my pension administrator - and I see that it is now Capita.
Last year it was a mob called Blue Fin to whom my ex-employer had outsourced the admin, who have been taken over by Capita.

Cheers,
Peter

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 07:20:30 AM »

Apparently Crapita have a project name for this - Project Vincent. In summary they will be sacking 2000+ O2 callcentre workers, closing the Manchester & Glasgow sites, downsizing all the other sites, and shifting the work to South Africa.

"Project Vincent will save O2 almost a billion pounds over the life of the contract, it is planned. Discouraging calls, web chat and encouraging customers to use self-service option online are expected to account for half the total. Sending jobs overseas and closing sites will provide a third, with the rest expected to be derived from productivity gains. "

So there you go, rather amusing that a mobile phone company is "discouraging calls" from customers but that's Crapita for you.

I STRONGLY suggest that those of you with O2 mobiles move your service as a matter of urgency. Once the cuts happen it will no doubt be significantly harder to cancel contracts etc.

You have been warned  ;)

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »

Well according to their website Gigaclear only supply an online support facility - and they seem to get a good press on here.
http://www.gigaclear.com/what-does-it-mean/
In the list of questions:
Click on the "what hours is your help desk operation" and you are told web based support only 9am to 5pm.
Click on "do you provide a end user help desk" and you are told that if you really want telephone support then you are going to have to pay extra for it on top of the £37/month

So it looks O2 are going the way of the future.....unless you going to tell us to avoid Gigaclear as well.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »

@ C6em,

Perhaps you are overlooking the fact that Gigaclear are operating a far more reliable full FTTH at least in Appleton and not a mobile network.
It's possible that the Gigaclear support desk is mainly handling domestic network issues rather than dealing with A or VDSL via Retail (or ISP), Wholesale, Openreach and India and back again on the twisted pair PSTN ?

Kind regards,
Walter

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »

Heh, apparently the policy of discouraging customer calls is known in the callcentre business as "contact deflection".

Priceless  :lol:
Pages: [1] 2

anything