Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Planning database  (Read 10649 times)

Planning database
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »

The BT Wholesale checker has been showing FTTC arriving at my PCP March 2014.

Now it doesn't, however a small FTTC cabinet has appeared 30 metres or so from the PCP in the last week and they are quite clearly prepping for a cable pull from PCP as there's a large hole in the pavement. Sub-contractors from the electricity company were there over the weekend and completed whatever they were doing (signage is all taken down now).

The BT Superfast Fibre checker still says end of 2013.

So I'm assuming that the cabinet is likely to be commissioned this quarter - I can't see any other reason for it to drop off the planning database?

Does this seem logical?

I was rather hoping they'd stick to the original timetable :)

Edit - two Openreach vans there now, one of the large ones and one of the transit-sized ones. All the OR bods were on a teabreak when I walked past, might go have a word later.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:42:25 AM by rizla »

Re: Planning database
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »

Ah question answered I think :

Works Start:  10 May 
End:  22 May 
Location :  (PCP32) NGA RELATED WORKS REAR OF 24/28 HAYFIELD CLOSE ON PARK DRIVE

Description :  Install 24m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Provide 1 Cabinet and base (NGA cabinets)

Current status:  Work in progress

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »

Heh, they're doing 11 PCPs around Glenfield/Groby in the same timescale, guess the exchange must be going live a lot sooner than planned.

Bugger it, I was rather hoping that this wouldn't happen until later in the year when we'd see what self-install/etc was like. Cabinet looks rather small (ECI 128 type) for the PCP, which has to have at least 400 pairs running from it, probably nearer 600.

Oh well, time to await developments....

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »

Ha ha ..... you're the only person I know, that's having a moan that FTTC is being commissioned a lot earlier than first predicted.  ;) ;D ;D

BT .......... beggared if we do, beggared if we don't.  :P

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »

Ha ha ..... you're the only person I know, that's having a moan that FTTC is being commissioned a lot earlier than first predicted.  ;) ;D ;D

BT .......... beggared if we do, beggared if we don't.  :P

Heh I know what you mean.

For me however I'm on Sky full LLU, which is absolutely fine as the OR people here are top-notch (especially frames, who is apparently "old school"), cables are all in (good) underground conduits - in short its a well-designed/installed/maintained 22 year old network. Edit - oh and we live on a hill so none of the UG stuff floods here - not even last year.

Hardly anyone around here has Sky BB (they're mainly Virgin) so things work at linespeed 24/7. My only minor gripe is that my line is 200m longer than it should be and given I get 20Mbps that's extremely trivial :P

I suspect that will all change soon, one way or another.

Not too keen on Sky routers, Sky network is great, so was rather hoping for some (unofficial - to Sky) options appearing once self-install gets sorted.

I'll probably just vacillate for a few months :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:14:19 PM by rizla »

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »

Oh and I suspect I'll end up moving the master socket myself so what seems to be the best/available VDSL masters - and source to purchase?

By "moving" I mean I'll remove the 15m of external wiring OR put in when I had ADSL in first (USB frog/slug/whatever).

He basically used 2 pair cable to run the master round the back of the house and then take the spare pair to feed what used to be the master - no idea whether he wired the ADSL v1.0 socket right or not as I've never looked, can't have done a bad job even if he got it the wrong side of the filter. External cable entry point (250mm above DPC) is where he crimped the cable, so provided he didn't cut the cable too short I shouldn't have any problems - I'll be taking a look at that conduit anyway as the drive is getting redone.

Naughty I know and I'd rather get one of the local OR boys to do it but how the hell do you do that other than having a quiet word/cash in hand?

Sky won't understand/be capable of dealing with it, BT Retail (according to next-door) can't move a master socket even though they did it 8 years ago and these people have been with BT Retail for that time. Lunacy on wheels.

Problem seems to me (from a very limited viewpoint) is that OR can't guarantee the "engineer" will be qualified to move a master socket. Data extension kit - yeah no problems, but I'm looking to remove wiring, not add to it.

Best make sure the lads doing the drive don't bugger things up :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »

I can tell you now, the lowest of all the skill-sets covers relocating the NTE5. As a 'Managed Install' most ISP's have the 'Home Wiring Solution' built into the package. This allows for re-siting of NTE, or NTE and extention socket swop, or data cable run. This ensures the EU has the Hub where they want/need it to be.  :)

Puppy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »

The BT Wholesale checker has been showing FTTC arriving at my PCP March 2014.

Now it doesn't, however a small FTTC cabinet has appeared 30 metres or so from the PCP in the last week and they are quite clearly prepping for a cable pull from PCP as there's a large hole in the pavement. Sub-contractors from the electricity company were there over the weekend and completed whatever they were doing (signage is all taken down now).

The BT Superfast Fibre checker still says end of 2013.

So I'm assuming that the cabinet is likely to be commissioned this quarter - I can't see any other reason for it to drop off the planning database?

Does this seem logical?

I was rather hoping they'd stick to the original timetable :)

Edit - two Openreach vans there now, one of the large ones and one of the transit-sized ones. All the OR bods were on a teabreak when I walked past, might go have a word later.

I am kind of in the same situation as yourself, that is OR are busy doing cabling in my area, and as I have mentioned in another post, my cabinet hasn't been upgraded yet, although many in my town have.

I have also noticed from the wholesale checker that the estimate of March 2014, has disappeared, with no entry at all for FTTC....what gives, does anyone have an explanation for this?   
Praying for FTTC

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »

The only explanation I have, is that they are way ahead of schedule and haven't yet published the new 'Go Live' dates ??

Puppy

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »

The only explanation I have, is that they are way ahead of schedule and haven't yet published the new 'Go Live' dates ??

Just seems strange that they have removed the entry completely, they could have just left it as it was, and change it when they were in a position to do so! ::)

Thanks for you input anyway BS ;)
Praying for FTTC

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »

I can tell you now, the lowest of all the skill-sets covers relocating the NTE5. As a 'Managed Install' most ISP's have the 'Home Wiring Solution' built into the package. This allows for re-siting of NTE, or NTE and extention socket swop, or data cable run. This ensures the EU has the Hub where they want/need it to be.  :)

Even the ex-squaddies?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »

Yup, even the ex-MOD lads and lasses.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »

Yup, even the ex-MOD lads and lasses.

Interesting as I know of several cases in Leics where the job had to be rescheduled specifically because the OR engineer was unable to move the NTE - not for any physical reason, one was a simple through the wall job, EU had done the drilling etc.

NB - to any ex/current squaddies, I'm sure you're quite capable of dealing with two wires but (AIUI) its all about training to deal with the OR systems.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55:54 PM »

There are many and varied reasons as to why a job can not be carried out, mostly due to regs or quality standards. What may seem an easy or fickle task to the EU, may mean a disciplinary action to the engineer ??

The ex-MOD's can only work on single-span tasks, so if it requires a wire to be run via various 'Carrier Poles', then the job has to go back to a long-standing OR engineer. Apart from that, they can ALL move an NTE5.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

There are many and varied reasons as to why a job can not be carried out, mostly due to regs or quality standards. What may seem an easy or fickle task to the EU, may mean a disciplinary action to the engineer ??

I hear you but this was a stud wall and the EU even moved the (new) backplate position nearer the front wall so the engineer would have 100mm free on the pair. All the wallplugs in place, just needed the NTE moved. Engineer said he couldn't do it as he couldn't test it?

Another one simply said he couldn't do that - all he could do was fit a data extension kit.

So I have my doubts about how easy this would be to communicate to OR via a mainstream ISP. 13 years ago OR got £150 per install and moving master socket was standard due to the usb modem. Now, unless you're with a niche ISP I suspect its quite hard to get this done.
Pages: [1] 2 3