Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jungle hunting yet again  (Read 6445 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Jungle hunting yet again
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »

Powerline Adaptos. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

Those nasty beasties may masquerade under any name they so desire.  >:(

The only location, in The Cattery, for which they would be fit is (IMO) my litter-tray!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »

Whoops, sorry. I just saw the top line of your post and assumed you were asking what they were ??  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »

No problems.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »

@ BS,

Belated thanks for your little tip.

I do use home hubs as an easy way of spreading an ethernet service around the house provided that there are no Baby Alarms, Door Chimes, Oil tank level alarms etc. etc. already using the wiring in the same way.
However when dealing with India and possibly an inexperienced subcontract engineer together with the promise / threat of a £99 fee to unscramble the mess left by the original installer, I try very hard to use an old fashioned RJ45 Ethernet cable direct from the modem to the HH3 or other router. I have also learnt to take pictures of the internal wiring of every phone socket before and after. KISS is very definitely the order of the day so there can be no possible excuse for further obfuscation or argument.

@ Everybody

Here is an extract from the very happy EU afterwards:-

A proper BT engineer called Jonathan arrived on Thursday morning and spent about an hour here.  He was very pleased with the wiring that you put in place and could find no fault with it at all.  He acknowledged that the Infinity Engineer had made little effort to get it right and he said he would report this as all he seems to be doing at the moment is sorting out the mess left by sub contractors!

He didn't have the testing equipment that you thought he might have but I took photos of the screens that he worked through.  He was quite happy for me to take the photos - see below.

The broadband speed has shot up to a rather splendid 50Mbps - see screenshot below.

Walter, I can't thank you enough.  I shall keep monitoring the speed just to make sure BT don't cap it again!

Another very happy chappy and more importantly, one who is now aware of the substandard practices which are all too prevalent around here.
I very much hope he will relay his experiences to his neighbours and possibly the existence of a certain "wheelbarrow" !

Kind regards,
Walter

PS I have another service with an identical situation where the wheelbarrow will trundle on Friday next.

PPS I am attaching pictures which clearly demonstrate the capped service beforehand and the somewhat lower EXFO sync speed after the reset.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything