Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Frequent Disconnections  (Read 2782 times)

babis3g

ADSL Frequent Disconnections
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »

Hi ... New here ... thought to post in here because i see there are some really experts with knowledge more than me & i need your help

Have also posted at TBB forum because in the begin was thinking for a faulty adsl nation face plate i have got from UK and installed down in Greece, which finally works great but i have removed during the fault ... also by now the problem still there so i am posting with update
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/f/4313989-adsl-nation-phone-socket-faulty.html#Post4313989

Short story i raised a fault ... the isp was telling me, my filters, my snr etc ...after 1 week be on the phone each second day & an engineer visit they did say the local dslam was down due to a strong lighting which i confirm that day happened because i heard near around the location of the dslam

for reference was on fully 24 profil with unlocked snr. After the fault the isp have moved me to an interleaved profile which i can see sometimes interleaved depth of 511
There are still disconnections but less

Points i am aware of the disconnections

-My filters (have changed 3 and also i have removed everything from the main socket) disconnection occur

-adsl face plate - removed

-changed 3 modems - still disconnections

-i have a small problem with the cable coming into the house pic here
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/2014-03-18-0203_zps71f926dc.jpg
2 electric lines touching the cable and also few meters down is joined because a tree fall in the past
I know have some effect but before the lighting of the bad weather was no problem as it is

possible reasons of the frequent disconnections

- Dos attacks to me or to the isp ... but from my log part is not disconnections after the attack logs

-faulty main filter in the central pipe of the dslam

- possible filter problem down of a pole (NID filter) - pic no mine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/chd176/NIDFilter.jpg

-somewhere bad join

-somewhere the cable touching each others

- burned dslam but the engineer saying others does not have a problem

-moved slot card or port at dslam

-bad join of the connector at card/port of dslam

evidence i have

-The modem is always giving me retrain reason 1 at each disconnection which i searched and seems is a RDI timer at the dslam?

- at DSLStats the tones always/mainly breaks around 300-400

- actual phone seems does not have any noice , well at least not noticeable when pick up the phone

- with interleaved profil snr 12 still disconnections but less

- If i change the adsl modulation to adsl2 (not plus) i don't have any disconnection but the speed is down to 8 (shouldn't be 12? & with G.dmt 8?)

Is any way can get more opinion or at least where to focus the interest when the engineer comes next week for one more visit?

DSLAM/MSAN type:           BDCM:0xa188 / v0xa188
Modem/router firmware:     AnnexA version - A2pD035d.d23e
DSL mode:                  ADSL2+
Uptime:                    12 hours 12 min 41 sec

Downstream   Upstream
Attenuation (dB):          32.5      20.4
Connection speed (kbps):   12029      1022
SNR margin (dB):           12.2      10.5
Power (dBm):               19.4      12.1
Interleave depth:          64      16
INP:                       0.50      3.00

RSCorr/RS (%):             94.9967      1334.0438
RSUnCorr/RS (%):           0.0007      0.0000
ES/hour:                   16.6      0

Errors   
    Showtime       Total
    Local   Remote       Local   Remote
Forward Error Correction:   231157786   46969537       405282721   47592034
Cyclic Redundancy Check:   105   0       101225   321
Errored Seconds:   74   0       8824   92
Severely Errored Seconds:   0   0       1962   24
UnAvailable Seconds:   0   0       1090   1090
Loss Of Signal:   0   0       92   0
Loss Of Frame:   0   0       494   0
Loss Of Margin:   0   0       0   0

Thanks for your time
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:03:42 AM by babis3g »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ADSL Frequent Disconnections
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

possible filter problem down of a pole (NID filter) - pic no mine

That confuses me.  I take it that you are saying you have a NID?
Ive no idea about Greek telecom equipment, but the UK equivalent would be one of these

Unfortunately I have no experience with them as they arent used around here, and have now been withdrawn by BT.  A lot depends on how the builder has wired up the internal wiring, but I know that you have to be careful not to double master the internal wiring if you install an nte with adsl filtered face plate.

DOS attacks dont cause problems like loss of sync, or errors that lead to an increase in snr or interleaving.

Doubt its the dslam, but it is possible that the line card could be faulty or damaged during the storm.

The crossed telecom/electricity cable Im not sure about - depends on the insulation and if it could introduce some sort of electrical interference.  Someone better qualified than me would perhaps be best answering that.

>> - If i change the adsl modulation to adsl2 (not plus) i don't have any disconnection but the speed is down to 8 (shouldn't be 12? & with G.dmt 8?)

Yes 12Mb is the max on adsl2, but its possible that you may be need and utilise some of the higher tones available in the adsl2+ range which is what gives you the better speeds when on adsl2+.  Would need to see the bit loading to know whats going on there.

Unfortunately we dont really have sufficient information to say much about the actual line condition. It would be an idea to grab a copy of dslstats or routerstats to monitor whats happening with your SNR over the course of the day and see if theres any spikes.  It could also provide evidence as to why your ISP has had to place profiles on your line to keep it stable.  Because you are seeing lots of CRCs and errored seconds despite being interleaved, then its highly likely your SNRm is going to be moving around quite a bit.   If it was my line Id certainly be running DSLstats to see whats going on.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

babis3g

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »

Thank you for fast reply

About the NID filters i am not sure if the OTEnet Greek isp are using them ... was a prediction if they are using them could be faulty

About the cable which is broken (since long time ago in the past-maybe years) & also 2 electric lines are "touching" it seems has not much effect ... how ever are not sealed

I also have an update ... since raised a fault, while the local technicians was claiming is nothing wrong with their dslam, a lady over the phone at the main offices did say the dslam needs update but there is not any time for it

She also told me that they did change a pair of cable which seems true because i did had disconnection of 10 min early morning, while to the other logs the disconnection was only few seconds taking place

Since then i asked to return me in the default's isp profile (fastpath, unlocked snr of 9) and for now there is not much erros
In the screenshot the stats are just over an hour but in general is like this all morning (not really much errors or snr floating)
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/2014-03-31-160721-SNRMargin_zps30003a76.png
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/2014-03-31-160733-Bitloading_zpsb777753a.png
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/2014-03-31-160741-Bitswap_zpsaa8496a4.png

when the evening comes the bit swaps are like this
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/2014-03-27-163716-Bitswap_zps8f05ed2d.png
but there is not reported drop of snr by the modem, just lost of frame & lost of signal only

Could be because the dslam is full? ... don't know how big could be but seems is a Juniper with broadcom chipset  (same as the mode) & the technician claimed around 600 people connected

DSLAM/MSAN type:           BDCM:0xa188 / v0xa188
Modem/router firmware:     AnnexA version - A2pD035d.d23e
DSL mode:                  ADSL2+
Uptime:                    1 hours 42 min 41 sec

Downstream   Upstream
Attenuation (dB):          32.5      19.9
Connection speed (kbps):   13943      1023
SNR margin (dB):           9.3      13.5
Power (dBm):               19.7      12.1
Interleave depth:          1      1
INP:                       0      0

RSCorr/RS (%):                   
RSUnCorr/RS (%):           0      0.0000
ES/hour:                   0      0

its really locking perfect but evening disconnections starts

How ever i am hijacking here but because i did not create id before in the forum was a nice thread about the huawei HG612 which BT Openreach has disable the web interface
I was with TT VDSL (at time they called fibre) and was supplied with HG612 at Kentish Town (London) exchange (TT LLU equipment confirmed by BT )
... Right or wrong they never asked to give back after the contract ended so did bring it here in Greece (i am already few good months for some break & family issues) and i connected to the line because was broadcom (like my local exchange) ... it worked really good with the adsl2+, like the current dgn2200v3 (note that time was not fault in the line)
The first only day i had many disconnections there after 3 weeks later settled  down & was working perfectly, no issue very stable according to the stats via DSLStats tool
How ever the 3rd week (was around when Openreach started  updating their firmware to the HG612) one morning could not log in to the interface
I did managed to reflash it successfully which i did had access again to the web interface but since then is gone back to the "box" worried not be able to access it web page again

Do you think it did got the upgrade of BT Agent down here? i did not disable this feature via telnet, is been long time & not remember
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:51:03 PM by babis3g »

babis3g

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »

Just to update ...
was a ten minute disconnection & since they changed a pair of cables (not sure if is at the port of the dslam or at the cabinet) i am up 3 days by now & the stats @ DSLStats tool looking good, perhaps they was old or was some kind of interface ... the modem also "locking" little more higher & the stats are much more stable ... the electric cables touching the phone line seems has not much effect ... it looks is sorted ... thanks for your time

anything