Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Be -> Sky customers to retain static IPs and use own routers  (Read 8659 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

It looks like Be* customers moving to Sky as a result of the buyout,  may be able to have a static IP and continue to be able to use their own choice of router. 

In a letter to me from Be/Sky this morning.

Starting this year we'll be bringing your broadband over to the Sky network, where you'll benefit from a totally unlimited broadband service with absolutely no usage caps, no fair usage policy and no traffic management.  In the meantime your broadband service and support will stay exactly the same.

We know your broadband is important to you, so were busy working with BE to make sure your service is transferred smoothly and isn't disrupted in any way.  We will give you plenty of notice ahead of the transfer and let you know all the details of your new service in advance.  We are also aware that some BE customers would like to keep using their own routers and certain features such as static IP, which is why we're working hard to develop support for these important features on Sky's network.

There is also no need for existing Be customers to send back their Be Box routers.

Ive no idea what "certain features" are being developed -  other than static IP and the ability to use your own router. 
I wonder if Annex_m & line bonding are also amongst those features being considered? 
The ability to stay with Be*s DLM would be nice too -  rather than IMHO the horrid Sky DLM, but I would imagine the latter is very unlikely.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Re: Be -> Sky customers to retain static IPs and use own routers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »

When dealing with Sky the phrase "we're working hard to develop support for xyz" means "we don't have the slightest intention of doing this and we're sure you will all forget we said that soon enough".

No joke.

Edit - If they binned SRA and static IPs when UKO got bought because the Sky CRM systems couldn't deal with it then I think its unlikely Annex M/static IPs are going to happen now. Not for any technical reason but simply because it won't work with the CRM backend s/w (which is a mess by all accounts).

Edit2 - line bonding is a no-no, never going to happen. The Sky CRM s/w can't even handle a customer having two phonelines (not joking), never mind line bonding.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:29:23 PM by rizla »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »

this has been confirmed on PC Pro today:

Sky will allow Be Broadband customers to continue using their own routers - even though it doesn't extend that courtesy to its own customers.

Sky bought Be Broadband and O2's landline business from Telefonica earlier this year. That left many Be Broadband customers fearing that they would be forced to use Sky's own-brand router, which Sky effectively forces on its own customer base.

However, in a letter sent to Be Broadband customers, Sky explains that it's planning to support third-party router equipment. "We are also aware that some BE customers would like to keep using their own routers and certain features such as Static IP, which is why we're working hard to develop support for these important features on Sky's network," the company writes.

The letter may be an attempt to stem the tide of defections from the O2/Be customer base since the Sky takeover was announced in March. Figures released earlier this week showed the two ISPs had lost more than 40,000 customers since the end of 2012.

Sky Broadband refuses to issue server login details to customers who want to use their own router equipment. Many customers instead use Windows software to extract the login details from the Sky router, and use them to operate their own equipment, although this isn't supported by Sky and breaches its terms and conditions.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/381757/sky-to-let-be-broadband-customers-use-their-own-routers
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »

Sky Broadband refuses to issue server login details to customers who want to use their own router equipment.
I guess PC Pro aren't aware that Be customers don't use a login........ :baby:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 02:27:05 AM »

>> the two ISPs had lost more than 40,000 customers since the end of 2012

I think Sky may also have under-estimated the average BE user in the fact that a vast majority of them know what they are doing and want to be able to take control of what they can for their connection.

My dad has one of those sagem routers which has been b@stardised so that port forwarding for VNC was impossible.  There was also another setting that I wanted to change and which I couldnt.   The only reason Im happy for my parents to remain on sky is cause its free with their TV package..  but seriously that connection does my head in.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »

None of this actually means anything does it?

I'm sure Sky are quite happy to leave Be users with their router (and Annex M) until they are physically moved to a Sky MSAN. They already said that nothing much is happening until Autumn anyway. From now until then I would imagine the priority is to sign up Be/O2 users to SMPF (Sky Talk) and TV services.

What I want to see is what happens to the Be users with multiple IP addresses. I think they will be the first users to see what Sky intends to do.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »

And what they do about business users. :(

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »

And what they do about business users. :(

I can tell you what they'll do on that score now - they will not offer any sort of business service.

Technically its a breach of T&Cs to use a Sky connection for anything other than personal use. The reality is they don't care what you use the connection for, just as long as you accept there is no SLA* and no consequential losses.

Frankly I would advise you not to consider using Sky if its a business run from home. If something does go wrong then its likely that Sky won't report it to Openreach for 72 hours (can take 72 hours+ to escalate within Sky CS) and then you have potentially another 5 working days on top of that for Openreach to attend.

If Sky had wanted business customers then they'd have made the change when UKO was closed down. They didn't.

I advise you to make plans now if you use the connection to run a business.

*Usual Openreach SLA applies, no enhanced SLA possible.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

What's SLA ?.  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »

service level agreement - contractual terms and conditions from the perspective of the end user - what he can expect for his money, and what are the remedies when he doesn't get it!

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »

email from Be/Sky

As a BE member, we’d like to invite you to take part in a survey about your experience

/snip/

We’d love you to take part in this research, which should take around 15 minutes of your time.

hmmmm it took me 35 mins...  not that I expect them to take much notice of what I put :/
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:35 AM »

I see BE have been invoking FUP on some of its users, threatening disconnection if you go over 150Gb
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

Was there any mention on which product the were on?
I may be wrong but did the value product have a 'cap' at some point? 

If anything I would it be possibly be a value customer that was targeted rather than someone on their Unlimited or Pro accounts.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »

Ok.   Gotcha.   Do you mean the recent ASA ruling against be.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/6/Be-Un-limited/SHP_ADJ_221786.aspx

Iirc this relates to something last year where a few users on congested exchanges were contacted.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »

Iirc this relates to something last year where a few users on congested exchanges were contacted.
That's my understanding too from the "toys out of pram" posts on the forum, though no-one ever mentioned 150GB or indeed any other limit. I don't even think Be can actually measure data volumes that specifically.

And therein I think is a major factor in the problem. They had (have) congestion and have some mechanism (sampling?) to highlight heavy users who were then asked to reduce daytime loads and try to do more overnight. Trouble is they didn't seem to have the means to be specific enough about those users volumes and it all got very messy and contentious for a handful of users.
Pages: [1] 2