Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.0 released (previously rs-ux/rs-w)  (Read 18571 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v3.0 released (previously rs-ux/rs-w)
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »

is the RScorr from when DSL stats stared and then 24 hours back? or is it from the total available in the router (sinc link time)

thanks

The figures on the Stats page are the total figures as reported by the router, so they count from the last re-sync.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »

Can't thank you enough for this program and adding my requests to it... THANK You :-)

Before I has to use Dmt and just counted back the decimal places to get a rough idea of what it was in percent and I never bothered with rsuncorr so nice to have those..  Also the i24k etc....  Just for fun: the SNRM tweak can not be applied when used with the i24k tweak... Never works for me...  Think the  noise margin has to be running at tsnrm for i24k to work..

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »

My bitswaps per tone graph hasn't worked for around a month now, but I have around 50 Bitswaps per minute so I'm assuming this is something to do at my end?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »

My bitswaps per tone graph hasn't worked for around a month now, but I have around 50 Bitswaps per minute so I'm assuming this is something to do at my end?

There are some routers which don't refresh the bitloading except when there's a re-sync. Is it possible that you have one of those? Does the bitloading graph show changes from sample to sample?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:07:10 PM by roseway »
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »

There are some routers which don't refresh the bitloading except when there's a re-sync. Is it possible that you have one of those? Does the bitloading graph show changes from sample to sample?

FWIW, I have noticed that Bitloading graphs using the Huawei HG612 with the new BLOB don't change from sample to sample via both your program & mine, whereas it does when using the original unlocked BLOB.

I have also noticed the Huawei HG622's GUI doesn't auto-refresh every few seconds either, but the data from the command 'xdslcmd info --stats' & Bitloading data does update whenever it is sampled.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

FWIW, I have noticed that Bitloading graphs using the Huawei HG612 with the new BLOB don't change from sample to sample via both your program & mine, whereas it does when using the original unlocked BLOB.

There is a posting by Asbokid, somewhere in this forum, where he mentions that fact.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »

Yes, it came up in a discussion starting here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12450.msg235213.html#msg235213
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »

As an aside just noticed that my line did a re-sync today after 90 days of uptime. Just wonder if TT force a re-sync after 90 days? Could not see a reason for it otherwise as the SNR was good.

To come back to this question, I've been having a bit of instability recently, and since it started, my connection re-syncs in the small hours each morning for no apparent reason. Each time it re-syncs the interleave values seem to change slightly. So I'm guessing that TT's DLM is taking note of error rates and so on, and trying to optimise the connection. Perhaps your re-sync was also the result of action by DLM?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »

As an aside just noticed that my line did a re-sync today after 90 days of uptime. Just wonder if TT force a re-sync after 90 days? Could not see a reason for it otherwise as the SNR was good.

To come back to this question, I've been having a bit of instability recently, and since it started, my connection re-syncs in the small hours each morning for no apparent reason. Each time it re-syncs the interleave values seem to change slightly. So I'm guessing that TT's DLM is taking note of error rates and so on, and trying to optimise the connection. Perhaps your re-sync was also the result of action by DLM?

I have asked on their forum but the reply was 'it must have been a power problem or noise spike' which I know from running your program it was not. There recent error rates have not been any different to the past 90 days.

I dont know if they will reply to my next question which is can they look at their logs and see a reason. I have given them the time it happened.

Stuart

Had another re-sync today and since then it has had zero error for both FEC and CRC, speed is good and SNRM seems very stable. Wonder if they've been messing with the exchange or my cabinet recently?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:07:32 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 07:41:23 AM »

Eric I spoke too soon about having no errors. Unfortunately I was relying on the DSLStats error graphs and sadly this is not a good idea. The problem seems to be that if a re-sync happens the error graphs do not start again after it reconnects, I had to stop and start DSLStats in order for the errors to be plotted once again.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 08:17:19 AM »

I'll check that out, Stuart.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

May I ask one thing, so far I've not seen an option to get to the new version screen while the program is running, if I'm right and there is not an option can you add an option for manually checking for a new version, and perhaps an option for checking every n hours or days? Would be useful for anyone running the program 24x7.

I've added an option for the user to specify how often the program checks for updates (between 1 and 14 days), and there's a button to do a check at any time.

soon as I run this new version (3.1) i had lots of strange behaviour on my computer, this is what happened.

the DSL Stats app opened straight to tray, i could not open it from the tray, i opened task manager and i could not kill the dslstats.exe *32 process, then all of a sudden it looked like it was logging me out as my screen blended to black (like does on shutdown) and it made the "disconnection" noise..the screen came back on and said a USB device had failed? also internet connected was lost but came back on, Task Manager was showing only half the stuff in task manager too..

I can't explain this behaviour, unless it was related to the check for an updated version - if the website was unavailable at the time, there was a long timeout before the program would appear, so the system tray icon would have been unresponsive. I've now reduced the timeout to 5 seconds, and also changed the way in which update checks are carried out.

but there are some problems: (im using Netgear DG834Nv1 with DGTeam 1018)

1) AS Uptime isnt reported in the bottom window
2) Nothing is logging in BitSwaps per tone (it is checked for monitoring)
3) The BitSwaps Per minute graph is showing zero (which I dont believe is correct)

1. Now corrected.
2. As discussed earlier, this graph is cumulative, so it may take some time for data to appear after starting the program.
3. I don't believe there was anything wrong here, but I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

EDIT 2: It seems to have issues running alongside DMT Tool (which RS-W didnt) - ive been getting "no data in last response" and "no response from router" when DMT Tool was running only for few minutes.

As discussed earlier, I don't believe there were any changes in this version which would have affected this, so I'm assuming that this was just a random conflict at the time. If it continues to be the case, please tell me.

it would be great if it saved settings as they were made...or had SAVE/APPLY button somewhere? because if one shuts down windows without first exiting the program it wont remember their settings or save images etc... I dont recall having any problems with RS-W in this respect? it seemed to me that the settings were saved as amended? as i never shut down RS-W I just shut down windows.

The program now saves its settings when you click the green button.

also, I think it should start all graphs up in compressed view... expanded view should only be chosen by the user for a more refined inspection, the save to folder works great but any "expanded view" images (QLN, HLOG) dont save as a viewable image, it says INVALID IMAGE, when i change to compressed view and exit the program and re-check its ok..

I can't reproduce this problem, so I haven't made any changes in this area at present. If you prefer the graphs to start up in compressed form, then set them that way and the setting will be remembered.

EDIT: bug report - when changing colors for download...everything but the "bit swaps per minute" change color, they remain red...even if i change the 'other data' color to blue (like I did with download just messing about)

EDIT2: bug report - SNR Graph sometimes doesnt save correctly, well hasnt for last 3 saves, I have since disabled it in hope that it will be included together in the Bit-loading graph rather than seperate graphs...all other graphs are fine

1. Now fixed.
2. I can't reproduce this problem. The relevant code is the same as for the other graphs, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Unless you're using one of those routers which don't refresh the bitloading data between re-syncs, I can't explain this. If it continues to be the case, I'd appreciate more information to help me get to the bottom of it.

Eric I spoke too soon about having no errors. Unfortunately I was relying on the DSLStats error graphs and sadly this is not a good idea. The problem seems to be that if a re-sync happens the error graphs do not start again after it reconnects, I had to stop and start DSLStats in order for the errors to be plotted once again.

I found the source of this, and I believe it's now fixed.

[Edit] Now confirmed - I had a re-sync earlier, and the error graphs continued to plot afterwards.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:51:56 PM by roseway »
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 09:47:48 AM »

Eric any ideas when you might release this new version?

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »

Tomorrow hopefully, unless events conspire against that.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »

Hi Eric, yeah after some time the tone per graph worked,  as for crashing etc iam thinking it was something to do with avast is not liking it or something because it works now... Although since then and while it's been running my system has crashed twice then failed to boot,  early days but looks like it may be something to do with us joypad as since removing that it hasn't happened, hard to say what the exact cause was but it sounds like it was dslstats & avast caused a crash which has caused something else too happen.. But what I dunno... Watch this space lol..

At moment the only thing that doesn't work (that you haven't addressed) is the snr & QLN graphs won't save in expanded mode, I don't use expanded mode so not so bothered....

Thanks again for your effort, really appreciate it :-)

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything