Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.0 released (previously rs-ux/rs-w)  (Read 18572 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats v3.0 released (previously rs-ux/rs-w)
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »

soon as I run this new version (3.1) i had lots of strange behaviour on my computer, this is what happened.

the DSL Stats app opened straight to tray, i could not open it from the tray, i opened task manager and i could not kill the dslstats.exe *32 process, then all of a sudden it looked like it was logging me out as my screen blended to black (like does on shutdown) and it made the "disconnection" noise..the screen came back on and said a USB device had failed? also internet connected was lost but came back on, Task Manager was showing only half the stuff in task manager too..

Iam using Windows 7 x64 on a Gigabyte H77 mobo with 8Gb DDR3 ram and 120Gb SSD - I have running Avast Internet Security, JD S Auto Speedtester, Share-X, GreedyTorrent, Sky Drive and Via HD Audio Deck, oh and my mobile phone Sony Xperia Miro was charging via USB...the only other USB connection is a JoyPad and USB wireless Keyboard and Mouse transceiver.

I will unplug the phone, reboot and try to run it again and see what happens.
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »

There's just one thing I can think of - I've realised that, if your internet connection is down when you start up the program, there is quite a long timeout before it gives up checking for an updated version and displays normally. I suppose it's possible that things could have misbehaved in the way you describe as a result of the long timeout, but it certainly puzzles me.

I suggest that you delete rsw.ini (the ini file for rs-w) and dslstats.ini if it exists to start it afresh. I have reduced the timeout to 5 seconds now, but I've done that since v3.1.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »

...well I reboot and this time its working a bit better (had some freezing when flicking between configuration pages but only once for a few seconds) also, this time Avast was all over it checking it saying it may be a suspicious file but didnt block it, previously it did not ...strange?

I deleted all RS-W files, there was only DSL-Stats files in the folder.

anyway this version looks brilliant and thanks for adding the suggestions I had, really appreciate it :) :)  :thumbs: :clap:

but there are some problems: (im using Netgear DG834Nv1 with DGTeam 1018)

1) AS Uptime isnt reported in the bottom window
2) Nothing is logging in BitSwaps per tone (it is checked for monitoring)
3) The BitSwaps Per minute graph is showing zero (which I dont believe is correct)

the missus is calling on me to strip beds and do house work so u may be a while hehe

thanks again

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »

Could you please copy the output of the --stats command to me - hopefully that will reveal the reason for the missing data.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »

since that 'crashing/funny' business I had before my mobile phone no longer connects too the computer, it says in DevMgr that the software required is corrupt in the registry? - this happened as soon as I launched the DSL-Stats program, ive tried uninstalling and re-installing but it just says the same thing, so Im gunna restore the computer and retry - last night I installed Avast Internet Security on 20 day trial and Im wondering if its related to that? --thing is everything was working fine after installing it, and using the comp today was fine until the very moment I executed the DSLstats app.

after leaving for a while there was some data in the the bitswaps graph but no where near what should have been? - ive since restarted the comp and no graphs have been saved on exit, when I run DSLstats it didnt start minimized and is asking for my login data again? when ive checked all the data/settings has been reset/forgot?  perhaps its because I restarted windows without closing the program first? is there anyway to get around that? so when i shutdown windows it automatically asks DSLstats nicely to shutdown (so it saves the graphs)..? I think I used some tool to set aggressive shutdown times etc and forcibly shutdown unresponsive apps.

--stats log:

Code: [Select]
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1204 Kbps, Downstream rate = 17600 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                   ADSL2+
Channel:                Fast
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):       7.1             8.6
Attn(dB):       27.5            13.6
Pwr(dBm):       18.6            12.3
Max(Kbps):      21277           1260
Rate (Kbps):    17600           1204
                        G.dmt framing
K:              145(0)          16
R:              12              16
S:              1               8
D:              96              8
                        ADSL2 framing
MSGc:           51              15
B:              144             15
M:              1               8
T:              4               7
R:              12              16
S:              0.2846          3.6455
L:              4412            316
D:              96              8
                        Counters
SF:             36263606                36777614
SFErr(CRCErr):  280             8
RS:             3973135088              1275598
RSCorr:         448179          3832
RSUnCorr:       13446           0

HEC:            237             14
OCD:            0               0
LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    2949229205              1896513748
Data Cells:     218702120               19742787
Drop Cells:     0
Bit Errors:     0               1639

ES:             306             105
SES:            2               367
UAS:            152             0
AS(Uptime):     588442

INP:            1.04            1.62
PER:            16.22           16.74
delay:          6.83            7.29
OR:             28.10           10.03

Bitswap:        42971           305
Total uptime:   795525

Total time = 1 days 5 hours 2 min 20 sec
SF  = 49123081
CRC = 1360
LOS = 2
LOF = 18
ES  = 306
Latest 1 day time = 5 hours 2 min 20 sec
SF  = 1117929
CRC = 9
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 8
Latest 15 minutes time = 2 min 20 sec
SF  = 8653
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 55507
CRC = 1
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 1
Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
SF  = 5324537
CRC = 22
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 17
15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 55446
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 55445
CRC = 0
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 0
15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
SF  = 55507
CRC = 2
LOS = 0
LOF = 0
ES  = 2
Showtime Drop Reason:   8000
Last Retrain Reason:    8000
#

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »

Thanks for the --stats info.

DSLstats doesn't save the configuration settings until it shuts down, so presumably your forced shutdown stopped that happening. I could arrange to save the settings periodically, or perhaps just when the "Start recording" button is pressed.

As far as I know, the bitswap graphs accurately reflect the reported data, but it's hard to check without sitting over the program, taking regular notes of the reported bitswap values, and seeing if they match up with the graph.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

Im just popping in to update you, I currently have no AV installed at all.

too keep it short about my USB issues, running DSL Stats has cause a crash on my system thats done something to windows USB device drivers or the regsitry (as I was getting corrupt registry error in devmgr for my mobile phone), Ive managed to get my Xperia Mobile working again (by removing USB, uninstalling, removing power from system and turning on and reinstalling) but can not get my Joypad working again using same method...well, I did once but had to change USB port using method I mentioned..but shutdown the computer & start back up it was as if it was uninstalled and again driver installed failed.?? just cant get my head around it? error 43

anyway, back to DSL Stats :- before with old 2.91 version I would have loads of bitswaps, now I havent? I can show you graphs before and after (see below_, just doesnt look right? unless my router is suddenly having a short period of no bit-swappping? - also the AS Uptime is missing.

EDIT: Iam getting very small amounts of bitswap recording in Bit-Swaps Per Minute - but nothing reflected in Bit-Swaps Per Tone? (see images below) - EDIT 1.5: I lie .. now there is upload bitswaps showing in BS per tone but no download BS's showing?

EDIT 2: It seems to have issues running alongside DMT Tool (which RS-W didnt) - ive been getting "no data in last response" and "no response from router" when DMT Tool was running only for few minutes.

when I ran it just now it said no response from the router, so i closed it, deleted all the files (again about 4th time ive done this) then extracted them again from the zip file and try again and set it up again, closed it to save the settings  ???  and its working.  8) :)

it would be great if it saved settings as they were made...or had SAVE/APPLY button somewhere? because if one shuts down windows without first exiting the program it wont remember their settings or save images etc... I dont recall having any problems with RS-W in this respect? it seemed to me that the settings were saved as amended? as i never shut down RS-W I just shut down windows.

also, I think it should start all graphs up in compressed view... expanded view should only be chosen by the user for a more refined inspection, the save to folder works great but any "expanded view" images (QLN, HLOG) dont save as a viewable image, it says INVALID IMAGE, when i change to compressed view and exit the program and re-check its ok..

another suggestion is combine the SNRM Tweak and Additional Tweaks in a manner so an SNRM Tweak command can be execute along with the others.. this is because your current setup means you can have either and not both, so if im manually using 3db SNRM and want to enable i24k or PHyRe then my SNRM will go back to sky's default of 7db (with i24k and PHyRe on) - I used to set commands in DMT Tool to execute whatever I wanted with the SNRM tweak included so I'd get both.

here you can see DSL Stats Bit-Swaps Per minute:

here you see nothing reflected in Bit Swaps Per Tone:

here is what my bit-swaps per minute usually look like:

heres what my bitswap per tone would normally look like after a bit run:

Iam going for my tea now and walk the dog... when i get back I need to try and sort this USB Joypad issue out and have a closer inspection on these bitswaps

thanks again for your efforts Eric... sorry to be moaning lol...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »

There's a lot there to absorb, but just a couple of random thoughts:

Bitswaps per tone: this graph is cumulative, so the longer you run it the more data is shown. So you can't really compare the new with the old. If you've continued to run v3.1 I expect that this graph will have accumulated a lot more data.

Concerning running the program alongside DMT-tool, I would be surprised if the new version is really different from the earlier version, because the code which manages telnet access and collecting the data didn't change between the two versions. Having two different programs accessing the router's telnet interface at the same time will always have the possibility of conflict, and my first reaction is that this is just a case of random timing causing the conflict. But I could be wrong. :)
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »

I used to have both running all the time and never had any problems, if memory serves me right so did router stats app have issues running with Dmt.. Or was it the graphing scripts? Can't remember

Dmt only polls once then once in blue moon while it's open so shouldn't affect dslstats from polling the router..??

EDIT: I may ask the bald eagle to get involved as he knows summit about Dmt tool access vs other apps I'm sure it's something to do with login

She is using the comp just now, I will test it when I get on,  also it would have been running for hours so should have some decent bit swap stats..

Surely if there's been at least 1 bit swap that shows in the graph then there should be something in the swaps per tone graph? As you can see from the graph there's some downstream bit swaps but nothing in the per tone graph?   Oh well I will find out soon,  think I will run rs-w too and compare... Then I can be certain

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:37:53 PM by snadge »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 01:50:44 AM »

...OK it seems to be working alright now... apart from the uptime being missing of course, Iam running DMT Tool and its working alongside it still - the thing is though...what was causing it to fail before? its in the log:

09 May 2013 19:08:49   Recording started
09 May 2013 19:08:53   Recording started
09 May 2013 19:08:53   Previous sample still being processed

09 May 2013 19:15:52   Previous sample still being processed
09 May 2013 19:16:23   Exception during telnet login
09 May 2013 19:16:23   Exception during telnet login
09 May 2013 19:16:52   Router failed to respond to telnet request
09 May 2013 19:17:52   Previous sample still being processed
09 May 2013 19:18:22   Exception during telnet login
09 May 2013 19:18:22   Exception during telnet login
09 May 2013 19:18:52   No stats received
09 May 2013 19:19:22   Router failed to respond to telnet request
09 May 2013 19:19:52   Router failed to respond to telnet request
09 May 2013 21:09:21   Auto snapshots taken
09 May 2013 23:09:41   Auto snapshots taken
10 May 2013 01:10:01   Auto snapshots taken

Next time I restart DSL-Stats I will monitor the bitswaps per minute and per tone graphs...  am I right in saying that if there is ANY activity logged in the per minute graphs that there should be something in the per tone graphs? (or do the per tone graphs generate every X minutes?)

I noticed you put the RS Percentage in for me :) :) - well chuffed - oh and the DLSAM info works too :) :)

cheers

EDIT: bug report - when changing colors for download...everything but the "bit swaps per minute" change color, they remain red...even if i change the 'other data' color to blue (like I did with download just messing about)

EDIT2: bug report - SNR Graph sometimes doesnt save correctly, well hasnt for last 3 saves, I have since disabled it in hope that it will be included together in the Bit-loading graph rather than seperate graphs...all other graphs are fine
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:35:38 AM by snadge »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »

I used to have both running all the time and never had any problems, if memory serves me right so did router stats app have issues running with Dmt.. Or was it the graphing scripts? Can't remember

Dmt only polls once then once in blue moon while it's open so shouldn't affect dslstats from polling the router..??

The issue (I think) is whether the two programs happen to be collecting data at the same time. If DMT only polls the router occasionally, then the conflict will occur only rarely. In fact I suspect that it's even more rare than this, and that it depends on what stage the data collection has got to for each program. In the course of development I frequently have two copies of DSLstats (or rs-ux/w) running at the same time, and it's a long time since I experienced any clashes.

In the case of Routerstats, I understand that it keeps the telnet interface open continuously and only disconnects when the user stops it running. So there would seem to be more possibility of conflict with other programs in this case.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »

EDIT: bug report - when changing colors for download...everything but the "bit swaps per minute" change color, they remain red...even if i change the 'other data' color to blue (like I did with download just messing about)

A small omission on my part. I'll correct it.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »

well been running all night with no apparant issues...

is the RScorr from when DSL stats stared and then 24 hours back? or is it from the total available in the router (sinc link time)

thanks

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »

Bitswapping:
Not a bug but a feature/consequence

My router a Dlink 2640B does not report bitswaps as a specific line in the ADSL2 stats.  By I mean the line is not there at all (nor the INP, PER, Delay, OR lines either).
Therefore your bitswaps per time graph is zero, as this is where you are taking the data from.
Somewhat confusingly to those not in the know, the bitswaps per tone graph IS there.  This will be because you are presumably collecting this data by comparing the change in the bit loading data’s at each tone from sample to sample.

I presume that Routerstats which does show the bitswaps/time is collecting the bitswaps total data by summarising the changes in the D/S and U/S bit loading data obtained for each tone rather than relying on the bitswaps total figure actually being provided as a specific line entry on the stats.

I confirm that the program routerstats does keep the telnet session open continuously.  There is a terminal screen/tab in the program where you can type commands as if you were at the telnet prompt. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

@c6em: You're correct about the source of the bitswaps per tone data. I did look at the possibility of summing up that data to get the total bitswaps, but it resulted in a figure which was much higher than the figure reported by the router in the Bitswap: line. This is why I added a note on the bitswaps per tone graph to say that it wasn't accurate in absolute terms.

The other difficulty is that I don't know how often the router swaps bits. It's quite possible that several bits could be swapped back and forth between samples, but the bitloading ends up the same in one sample as it was in the previous sample.

What I'm saying in a rather long-winded fashion is that I don't really know how best to proceed with routers which don't report the total bitswap values. I don't want to report data of dubious accuracy if I can help it, but I take your point about the confusion of a blank graph.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4