Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.  (Read 43154 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 02:34:03 AM »

hello and welcome :)

I am not sure if its been suggested yet ... but are you running these speedtests over Wi-Fi..?  or over a LAN Ethernet cable connected to the computer? - just Wi-Fi can play havoc with high speed downloads.

another thing is that some testing servers are unreliable and not all servers are capable of testing high speed connections, also some servers may be busier than others.. and its also possible at the time of the lower speed test your ISP may have had some intermittent congestion which would affect the results, its probably something I've just mentioned rather than a fault causing speed to be fast one minute on testing and then a bit slower the next.

the best thing I find is to try various testing servers on speedtest.net until you find one thats reliable and reports good speeds and can be verified against other reliable servers and testing websites. A good speedtest is one you can run on your PC as a program that downloads files and times how long it took, I use JD Auto Speed Tester which always gives me true reliable results, you can change the download and upload test type, files and locations too - it defaults to a multi-threaded test for a set duration (10 seconds downloading 3 x 100Mb files from 3 locations) but one can change it to fixed file size test too where it will download one file from one location, there are many locations and file sizes to choose from but I think the default multi-threaded 'duration' test is the best one, you can add & remove to that too.

JD can also be set to run silently at boot and auto test every X minutes so you can see how your speeds are throughout a set period.

anyway.... its always best having an unlocked modem so you can pull stats from it if you ever have problems, if you thought router stats lite was great.... wait until you see Eric's (Roseway) RS-W program... theres pretty much nothing it doesn't do haha

by the time we are finished with you , you'll be an expert broadband technician!  :graduate:

screenshot of JD after 3 tests run:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:49:54 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

derfledermause

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »

DISASTER!!!. I got a virus on Friday and have been battling to retrieve any sort of semblance of the computer I once had. Luckily things have went well over the weekend and I am nearly back to where I was before. I now have an HG612 in captivity and am waiting with bated breath for the feindish instructions to follow. I notice that this device has two stickers on the back, one titled "LAN2 not in use", the other titled "BBU Not in use". Other than that, there are 1 "DSL" socket, 1 "LAN 1" socket, a reset button and the power socket.
I hope these instructions dont "self destruct in 30 seconds", I cant work that fast!!!!!.
Many thanks again.
regards,
derfledermause.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »

DISASTER!!!. I got a virus on Friday and have been battling to retrieve any sort of semblance of the computer I once had. Luckily things have went well over the weekend and I am nearly back to where I was before.

Sorry to read of your misfortune. It can happen to anyone.  :-X

I now have an HG612 in captivity and am waiting with bated breath for the feindish instructions to follow.

Here is the link to the unlocking instructions. You will need a printed copy of them, along with a local copy of the unlocked firmware image.

I notice that this device has two stickers on the back, one titled "LAN2 not in use", the other titled "BBU Not in use". Other than that, there are 1 "DSL" socket, 1 "LAN 1" socket, a reset button and the power socket.

That "LAN2 not in use" sticker will shortly be despatched to the domestic waste, for it is via the LAN2 port that you perform the firmware upgrade and monitor the VDSL2 line status.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »

DISASTER!!!. I got a virus on Friday and have been battling to retrieve any sort of semblance of the computer I once had.

Oh dear......
Can you let on what anti-virus program you are runnning on you computer - as it clearly doesn't work
Just so the rest of us can avoid it as a virus protection program you understand.

derfledermause

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »

c6em, To answer, I use a payed for copy of AVG anti-virus, the full wack. Unfortunately, I am not able to explain how the virus got into the computer.

burakkucat, Now comes my ignorance, I have clicked on the link and it has put up a page, "unlocked firmware image". However, no attempt on my part can I "save" or "save as " as I would normally do. Please help dear friend.
Thanks,
derfledermause.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »

burakkucat, Now comes my ignorance, I have clicked on the link and it has put up a page, "unlocked firmware image". However, no attempt on my part can I "save" or "save as " as I would normally do. Please help dear friend.

Why, certainly.

Take the link to the page,

left click on hg612_unlocked_sp10_firmware.zip (just above the Nov 30),

left click on the third item in the list (hg612_unlocked_sp10_firmware / unlocked_sp10_firmware / bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002),

left click on the File option at the head of the page

and finally left click on the Download option.

Horribly convoluted and not intuitive but it does work!  :-X

If you still have problems, please let me know of a valid e-mail address (via a Kitz PM) and I will send you the image directly.  :)

derfledermause

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »

burakkucat, Hello dear friend, please excuse the pauses in times of my replies, unfortunately my health is not good and there are days when I cannot access my computer. However, I have followed your instruction and I have said file in captivity, would you be so kind as to follow on with the next instruction please?.
Yet again, many thanks for your help.
derfledermause.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »

Hello mause,

I'm sorry to read that you also do not experience the best of health. (Those of us felines, in that situation, just find a warm & sleepy spot until things improve.)

So, to recap, you now have a second-hand Huawei HG612 modem and a ZIP file (hg612_unlocked_sp10_firmware.zip) which contains the unlocked firmware image (bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002).

The next step is to unzip that ZIP file (OS dependant) and examine the directory it contains. Within the directory will be the image required (bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002).

Now disconnect the computer (that you will be using to perform the firmware flash) from your router. Connect it to the HG612 modem via the LAN2 port and with no other connections to that HG612 modem, power it up whilst holding its reset button depressed. After about 5 seconds following power-up, the reset button can be released. Open your web-browser of choice and enter the IP address 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. You are now at Step 9 (of Asbokid's instructions) and should see the screen shown as Figure 2 therein. Continue with Steps 10 - 15, exactly as described.

Assuming that you eventually see the web-page shown as Figure 4, the deed has been done and the HG612 modem has been flashed with the unlocked firmware image. The unlocked modem can now be powered down and, when the moment is ripe, substituted in place of the ECI B-FOCuS modem that you currently use for your Internet access.

At this point, I will either need to 'hand you over' to Bald_Eagle1 for instructions on how to use his comprehensive line monitoring software or you can make use of Eric's DSLstats utility . . .

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »

The next step is to unzip that ZIP file (OS dependant) and examine the directory it contains. Within the directory will be the image required (bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002).

I would just add in a quick reminder at this point that a PC connected directly to the HG612's LAN2 port needs a fixed IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx range otherwise it will fail to see the modem's address of 192.168.1.1

Asbokid recommended the PC should be set to 192.168.1.100

The PC's IP address can remain as 192.168.1.100 after flashing the modem or it can be returned to automatically allocate an IP address if accessing the modem through the router, using another ethernet cable from a spare port on the router to the modem's LAN2 port.

Now disconnect the computer (that you will be using to perform the firmware flash) from your router. Connect it to the HG612 modem via the LAN2 port and with no other connections to that HG612 modem, power it up whilst holding its reset button depressed. After about 5 seconds following power-up, the reset button can be released. Open your web-browser of choice and enter the IP address 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. You are now at Step 9 (of Asbokid's instructions) and should see the screen shown as Figure 2 therein. Continue with Steps 10 - 15, exactly as described.

Assuming that you eventually see the web-page shown as Figure 4, the deed has been done and the HG612 modem has been flashed with the unlocked firmware image. The unlocked modem can now be powered down and, when the moment is ripe, substituted in place of the ECI B-FOCuS modem that you currently use for your Internet access.

At this point, I will either need to 'hand you over' to Bald_Eagle1 for instructions on how to use his comprehensive line monitoring software or you can make use of Eric's DSLstats utility . . .

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »

If the OP's router just so happens to also be accessed via the address 192.168.1.1, presumably they will have to change either this default IP or alternatively change the BT modem's HG612 default IP address to something else otherwise surely they will clash.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »

If the OP's router just so happens to also be accessed via the address 192.168.1.1, presumably they will have to change either this default IP or alternatively change the BT modem's HG612 default IP address to something else otherwise surely they will clash.

In-diddly-deedy. But that consideration comes after the HG612 has been unlocked . . . so perhaps it is best to keep things simple by not getting too far ahead in the process!  :P
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:43:56 PM by burakkucat »

derfledermause

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »

burakkucat,
 Eureka!!!!, I have managed to carry out your excellent instructions and have "blown" the HG612 and it is in circuit and working OK. Your last remark on your last post was to contact Bald_Eagle1 for added instruction, is it OK to PM the good gentleman?. Also you commented to use "Eric's DSL stats", I have tried to find said stats but they are eluding me at the moment. I am very pleased with myself at being able to achieve, what for me was a daunting task. However, thanks must again go to you good people for your help.
regards,
derfledermause.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »

I would personally recommend DSLStats as it's more user-friendly and would fit you better. You can find it in this area, though the graphs are nice as well. :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »

Also you commented to use "Eric's DSL stats", I have tried to find said stats but they are eluding me at the moment.

http://dslstats.plainroad.me.uk
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »

Eureka!!!!, I have managed to carry out your excellent instructions and have "blown" the HG612 and it is in circuit and working OK. Your last remark on your last post was to contact Bald_Eagle1 for added instruction, is it OK to PM the good gentleman?. Also you commented to use "Eric's DSL stats", I have tried to find said stats but they are eluding me at the moment.

Thank you for the report on your excellent progress.  :)

Both Eric (a.k.a. Roseway) and Bald_Eagle1 have already posted to this thread . . . so perhaps one of them will now be your guide for the next few steps?

I'm sure it will not be a problem to make contact via a PM, if you so wish.  ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything