Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mobile spyware  (Read 5274 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Mobile spyware
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:45 AM »

Gentlefolk,

For obvious reasons I have not investigated the spyware depicted in the picture below, but if this is not a scam it makes for some rather disturbing reading.

It is obviously totally illegal and would undoubtedly void the warranty.

The web site does not report any malware via McAfee.
However I do not wish to publish the link either !

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Mobile spyware
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

It seems like its not quite a scam and is actually true that there is software that can do this.

However, the image that you have attached looks like its posted by an affiliate and not direct from the actual software manufacturer as it appears to make a few claims that the real program cant.  ie the official mSpy site claims that it wont work on:-
~ Windows 7 devices
~ iPhone 5
~ iOS 6
~ Other i-devices must be Jailbroken

It also doesnt make it clear that you need to actually have access to the phone to install the software on it in the first place... and that the phone needs to be connected to the internet

mSpy seems to have a large target audience for parents and employers and it would appear that quite a lot of people have already tried this app. - (based on download sites and social media sites such as FB or YouTube were it has a hell of a lot of likes!)  You can even buy the app from amazon.

I find it quite scary that not only does it record all texts/phonecalls/tracking locations, but can also actually be used as a bug to monitor (non-call) conversations within 15 ft of the phone.   Yes I can see a place for it for parental control..   and even in the workplace..   but Im not sure about the fact nor legality that it can be used to monitor anyone at anytime of the day without their consent as a remote listening device.

This is a vid from the real site showing just how powerful the app is
[youtube]2ql8PBGKh_U[/youtube]

lol that one guy is rather (un)fortunate though, in just a few months he discovered:-
~ A trusted employee stealing thousands of dollars per month.
~ His son was taking drugs
~ His associates' wife was having an affair.
~ He suspected his own wife was having an affair - she was innocent, but mSpy saved her life after a terrible car accident.
 ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »

PS Ive moved this to the section for mobile phones where its possibly more relevant :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:58:26 AM »

If you have your doubts about small applications just upload them to virustotal.com it will scan it with a whole range of Anti-Viruses.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »

If you bank with Barclays you are entitled to having a free copy of Kaspersky Internet security
This includes the version for mobile smart phones - which I do indeed have running on my mobile.
There is a link somewhere on the barclays internet site.  Make sure you always quote/use in the setup proceedures the same email address as the one you use/have registered with Barclays.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »

The problem with mSpy is that its designed to be undetected.   Its specifically designed for (and marketed as) say parents to monitor child activity or employers to monitor employees.

You do have to physically install it and it cant be done remotely... so the parent/employer will need to have the phone in their hands at one time.     Once installed there's no visible sign of the software and its a different kettle of fish to what we traditionally know as spyware/malware on PCs

mSpy make great claims that once installed its undetectable, and that "Currently  Mspy is not detected by Any Antivirus Software'

4. If someone installs mSpy on my phone, how can I spot it?

It's impossible.

Unlike other software of this kind, mSpy manages without SMS commands that appear in the message folder of the target mobile device to make the application work. The size of the activity data that gets uploaded to the server never exceeds 100kb and doesn't get noticed by the owner of the target phone when their phone bills arrive. Moreover, the mSpy application boasts a battle-tested history of insignificant battery power consumption so that the target device works as usual. Thus, it is virtually impossible for the owner of the target phone to detect the mSpy software as it can be controlled online without conspicuous connection between the server and the target phone.

Our software is not a virus, thus cannot be detected by any antivirus software
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »

If it relies on jailbreaking, then I should't think it would be too difficult (on a jailbroken phone) to write an 'mSpy' detector App.   This could then be sold to employees who suspect their employer is spying, and to children who think their parents are spying. 

Other than that...

1). It probably would work.   I have used an iPod Touch, buried in my top pocket, in the past to successfully record a meeting without knowledge of others present.   Captured every word.

2).  No effect on battery life?   I doubt that very much.   To be effective, you'd need to be able to put it on 'permanent record' so it carries on recording even when out of reach of Internet.   That would have effect on battery life.   Other give-aways might be increased air-time usage, and gradual consumption of memory space to accomodate hours and hours of speech.

3).  Legal... I'm no lawyer but as far as I know in the UK it is legal to record without consent but, as soon as you play the recording to somebody else, you can be sued for something or other.