Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: My experience with the Huawei and ECI Modems  (Read 32830 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: My experience with the Huawei and ECI Modems
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »

@ Asbokid,

I have observed two quite different situations almost as if the DLM has a blacklist of performance criteria,
A "Good" line will adjust around a set of different sync speeds presumably as line conditions vary with every power-reset.
A "bad" line, usually due to some execrable installation procedures remains capped at e.g 15 Mbps when it should be around 40 Mbps according to the BT VDSL estimator. One possible difference could be one is with interleaving on and the other off.
I'll try to dig out some practical figures later today.

Kind reagrds,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »

He told me that DS speed is 27Mb at the cabinet yet his Exfo reported only 18845/5449 Kbps at my master socket.  He said that was normal & due to it travelling around 1300m from the cabinet & that sync speed at my home looked about right for a line of that length.

I bet it was 27,400Kbps!  That's the maximum downstream bit rate used in a handful of the ~200 banded* channel-profiles [1] that Openreach can bind to a VDSL2 subscriber port.

You may well be right.

I don't have my current Profile Name from Plusnet, but this is how they reported it at one point - before the physical line problems were finally repaired during May 2012:-

Profile Name   13.7M-27.4M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-0.8M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp    2011-07-28T12:44:35

It would perhaps have been more helpful if the engineer had mentioned my PROFILE band rather than sync speed at the cabinet.

As you say, I suspect my profile is currently similarly banded, but with Interleaving OFF.

So, is it still likely that actual speed at the cabinet has negotiated downward to what my line can achieve i.e. identical to the actual speed I am seeing at home (still within the banded profile)?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »

Woah! ??? I'm with B*Cat here
A thoroughly confused b*cat
Me too, but I think this is a very important discussion that we're starting here about the FTTC DLM.

OK A, so
That's the maximum downstream bit rate used in a handful of the ~200 banded* channel-profiles [1] that Openreach can bind to a VDSL2 subscriber port.
IIUI right, this means that there are ~200 variations on a capped IP profile (of one kind or another, i.e. the parameters involved are not just restricted to max line sync rate).  Is there a list of them with the max sync rates anywhere?  From BE's and my own experience (and I'm sure Chrysalis could add to this too) between us we have (it seems) observed in DS 80, 67, 54, 35, and 27 (I will ignore US for the moment).

Then there's Walter's helpful observation
I have observed two quite different situations almost as if the DLM has a blacklist of performance criteria,
A "Good" line will adjust around a set of different sync speeds presumably as line conditions vary with every power-reset.
A "bad" line, usually due to some execrable installation procedures remains capped
I'm sure both BE and I (and a lot of others no doubt) would like to know what those performance criteria are that leaves us both unshakeably capped - and in BE's case it seems worse than that, in that it appears that he has a max capped value of 27 but still syncs >25% lower than that, which after 14 days, is by BTOR's definition a fault worthy of invesigation.
Without boring everyone with the details, my own experience is that my original profile was 80/20 with the attainables up around 92/33.  Then one day some clod was messing about in the cabinet.  Once at lunchtime when (s)he started on it, causing ~17 resyncs, and then at the end of the afternoon when (s)he finished, causing a further 9 resyncs.  Totally anomalous.  Didn't happen again.
Of course you (and I) would expect DLM to be upset by this, and it was.  It capped it at 35.  But as the 'fault' disappeared, it backed off to 54 3 days later, and to 67 a further 3 days later.  But that's where it's stayed - over a month later, with absolutely negligible and totally recovered error rates on fastpath with no INP.  Nothing it seems anymore will make it shift this cap.  It's as if, as Walter says, a single anomalous day (wholely outwith my control), has caused it to consign me to the bad boys list, even when attainables remain way above 80/20.  The profile it seems to be using has 12dB DS and 15dB US SNRms.  No wonder sync rates are suppressed.

Have you given the ECI a try?
No, but I do have one to hand. However do you seriously think that its potentially better performance will cause the DLM to remove the blacklisting?  I'd be willing to try it, and if it worked (which I have to say I would doubt), then I would quite happily send mine to BE to let him try to, if he wants.  Even now, if he wants - I can wait till later.

But if I have a reasoned complaint, it is this 'blacklisting' idea.  I expect DLM to adjust down and hopefully back up again ain the light of transient conditions.  That's what it's there for.  The problem is that despite the line characteristics returning to normal (i.e. pre-incident) it does not seem to back off to where it was previously.  If this hysteresis is displayed on every such occasion then we are all potentially consigned to a downward-spiral in our profiled rates.  :'(

Sorry BE if I've hijacked your problem, but I felt Asbo's and Walter's observations shouldn't be lost, as they are important to a lot of us, even though it doesn't of itself explain why you 25% below your profile.  :(

[EDIT] Chrysalis observed earlier in the thread
What are you speaking of is probably line banding which the new DLM does instead of adjusting target noise margins (I assume so it cant be overriden by people tweaking the noise margin CPE side).
To some extent I believe that this is so, but not entirely, as BE has also had fastpath removed.  But is that a temporary or a permanent change e.g. have BTOR updated the profiles recently?  :shrug2: I don't know but it is suspicious.

Simply using banded profiles with max sync rates like that is a very crude way of managing line conditions, but if they were doing that it might explain some things we are seeing e.g. reduced profile maxes while DLM still apparrently believes there is no need for either interleaving or INP.

The cynic in me wonders if BTOR are quietly banding everyone at the next nearest profile to the official BTOR 'Estimate'?  :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:39:45 AM by ColinS »

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »

I don't have my current Profile Name from Plusnet, but this is how they reported it at one point - before the physical line problems were finally repaired during May 2012:-

Profile Name   13.7M-27.4M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-0.8M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp    2011-07-28T12:44:35

It would perhaps have been more helpful if the engineer had mentioned my PROFILE band rather than sync speed at the cabinet.

Plusnet did disclose your channel-profile in so many words.  There are just a couple of channel-profile parameters absent from its report:  the exact interleaving delays, down and up, and the INP levels, down and up (and the reserved transmission rates).

It's understood that in the TR-129 channel-profiles used by Openreach, maximum interleaved-delay can be {0,8,16} millisecs for downstream and {0,8} for upstream.  And minimum INP level can be {0,3,4,5,6,7,8} protected symbols downstream and {0,4} symbols upstream.

As you say, I suspect my profile is currently similarly banded, but with Interleaving OFF.

This is a modification to a Huawei MA56xx channel-profile, to match your one above, but with interleaving off:  (not changed in the profile are your min/max upstream rates which have since gone up, too).

Code: [Select]
MA5616(config)#vdsl channel-profile modify 999
  Start modifying profile 999. New setting will take effect automatically after the modification succeeds
  Press 'Q' to quit the current configuration and new configuration will be neglected

>  Data path mode 1-ATM, 2-PTM, 3-Both (1~3) [2]:
>  Will you set the minimum impulse noise protection? (y/n) [n]:y
>    Minimum impulse noise protection downstream:
>    1-noProtection    2-halfSymbol      3-singleSymbol     4-twoSymbols
>    5-threeSymbols    6-fourSymbols     7-fiveSymbols      8-sixSymbols
>    9-sevenSymbols    10-eightSymbols   11-nineSymbols     12-tenSymbols
>    13-elevenSymbols  14-twelveSymbols  15-thirteenSymbols 16-fourteenSymbols
>    17-fifteenSymbols 18-sixteenSymbols
>    Please select (1~18) [1]:
>    Minimum impulse noise protection upstream:
>    1-noProtection    2-halfSymbol      3-singleSymbol     4-twoSymbols
>    5-threeSymbols    6-fourSymbols     7-fiveSymbols      8-sixSymbols
>    9-sevenSymbols    10-eightSymbols   11-nineSymbols     12-tenSymbols
>    13-elevenSymbols  14-twelveSymbols  15-thirteenSymbols 16-fourteenSymbols
>    17-fifteenSymbols 18-sixteenSymbols
>    Please select (1~18) [1]:
>  Will you set interleaving delay parameters? (y/n) [n]:y
>    Maximum interleaving delay downstream (0~200 ms) [0]:
>    Maximum interleaving delay upstream (0~200 ms) [0]:
>  Will you set parameters for rate? (y/n) [n]:y
>    Minimum transmit rate downstream (32~200000 Kbps) [13700]:
>    Minimum reserved transmit rate downstream (13700~200000 Kbps) [13700]:
>    Maximum transmit rate downstream (13700~200000 Kbps) [27400]:
>    Minimum transmit rate upstream (32~200000 Kbps) [128]:
>    Minimum reserved transmit rate upstream (128~200000 Kbps) [128]:
>    Maximum transmit rate upstream (128~200000 Kbps) [800]:
>  Will you set rate thresholds? (y/n) [n]:y
>    Rate threshold downshift downstream (0~200000 Kbps) [0]:
>    Rate threshold upshift downstream (0~200000 Kbps) [0]:
>    Rate threshold downshift upstream (0~200000 Kbps) [0]:
>    Rate threshold upshift upstream (0~200000 Kbps) [0]:
>  Will you set PHY-R function? (y/n) [n]:n
>  Will you set erasure decoding? (y/n) [n]:n
>  Will you set SOS bit rate? (y/n) [n]:
>  Will you set the G.998.4 retransmission function? (y/n) [n]:
>  Will you set channel initialization policy selection? (y/n) [n]:
  Modify profile 999 successfully, and new setting is taking effect now
  The flow for the profile to take effect is complete

MA5616(config)#

All of those parameters (and more) are mutable though. E.g. there are no rigid figures for maximum or minimum transmission rates, or interleaving depths, etc.  Openreach can just define new channel-profiles with new parameters, whenever needed.

And at some point the configuration of the DSLAMs will shift from the TR-129 DSL Management Model to the newer TR-165 Vector Profiling which has even more config tweaks!

Such is the beauty of a bespoke, centrally-controlled DLM algorithm.   :D

So, is it still likely that actual speed at the cabinet has negotiated downward to what my line can achieve i.e. identical to the actual speed I am seeing at home (still within the banded profile)?

Unless your D-side was zero centimetres long, the sync speed measured at home will always be lower than the sync speed measured at the cabinet, with one big caveat. 

The only time that the sync speed at home will match the speed at the cabinet is when it has hit the maximum transmission rate/s defined in the channel-profile.

If the sync speeds would otherwise exceed those maximums then the line will be banded or capped to those maximum rates (e.g. 27400/13700 in your case).

And that is the circumstance when the speeds measured at home are identical to those measured at the cabinet, as per the engineers' note from Openreach, posted by BlackSheep.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:51:37 PM by asbokid »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »

Openreach can just define new channel-profiles with new parameters, whenever needed.
that's what worries the hell out of me!  :o  I'm off to plusnet to ask for the name of mine ....

Such is the beauty of a bespoke, centrally-controlled DLM algorithm.
Possibly, but only in the hands of people who understand what they are doing.  :(  While there may well be teflon-heads at Martlesham who might, I suspect that the 'portfolio' of profiles available are as likely as much to have been 'influenced' by the marketing department as the technologists.  (OR are no different from anybody else in that respect  :))

As I ventured above, IMO, using crude max DS transmit rate (i.e. sync) is not a very finessed way of managing line conditions. But since SNRm does not appear to form a direct part of the profile, I guess DLM must have to calculate a rough SNRm to achieve the desired max rate once it knows from the training period what the likely bit loadings would otherwise be?  :(

This may explain a lot, including a weird square wave of about 0.5dB in SNRm that I get, which may simply be the DLM adjusting the SNRm to match max rate in the face of bitswapping on the line upsetting it's calculations.  ::)

I think we may collectively be onto something here, and I do think that recently there may have been changes in the centrally applied portfolio, as LOTS of people have been reporting changes of behaviour from their DSLAM.  At least 3 on this thread alone!

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »

I'm on the TR-3 profile at least that is what I was told from BT when I was having speed issues which is capped at 18Mbps, not sure what profile I'm on currently but now syncing back at 26Mbps again...

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »

since SNRm does not appear to form a direct part of the profile, I guess DLM must have to calculate a rough SNRm to achieve the desired max rate once it knows from the training period what the likely bit loadings would otherwise be?  :(

Target SNR margin is defined in the TR-129 line-profile, rather than in the TR-129 channel-profile (the avenue that Openreach appears to use for dynamically tweaking line parameters).

Those two profiles, line- and channel-, are combined to form a line-template. And that template is bound to the subscriber port at activation.   If the template is changed in any way, the line has to be re-trained.   So when spontaneous re-trains occur, often during the early hours, that's probably the DLM algorithm changing the channel-profile element of a user's line-template.

Aside the fact that TSNRMs are defined in a separate configuration profile, there's no technical limitation to prevent SNR margins from also being tweaked on a per-line basis.   Perhaps that's where things are heading, if and when Openreach opts for TR-165 Vector Profiling (nothing to do with "vectoring").

TR-165 which is described in [1] has ten different profiles, including an SNRM profile. Again, these profiles are formed into a template and bound to a subscriber port at activation:

TR-165 Vector Profiling is for the future. Though as Openreach already configures line with TR-129, there are a host of other parameters that can be tweaked simultaneous to the max and min data rates (the "banding").

Presumably, the rationale is that this potentially makes it much more powerful DLM system than one that just tweaks TSNRM.

cheers, a

[1] http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-165.pdf
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:18:34 PM by asbokid »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »

Just for info ......... there are 36 levels of banding that can be applied by Rambo, from 0.125Kbps up to 80Meg.
The same system has three levels of Interleaving shown to us a '1'- No Interleaving, '1'- Low Interleaving, '1'- High Interleaving.

Cheers.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »

The same system has three levels of Interleaving shown to us a '1'- No Interleaving, '1'- Low Interleaving, '1'- High Interleaving.

Eh?  ???  Should those integer parameters be '0', '1' and '2', perhaps?

b*cat feels the urge for another nap coming on . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

Ha ha, you would think, wouldn't you ?? It may be just how the 'Override' system is laid out at 'our' end and could quite possibly present itself as 1,2,4,8 ...... etc etc, or 0,1,2 ...... when you guys look at the Modems ??
But, it is as I quoted above.

.......................... aaaaand sleep !!!  ;D

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »

Just for info ......... there are 36 levels of banding that can be applied by Rambo, from 0.125Kbps up to 80Meg.

Cheers.

So the combinations are:
  • 36 transmission rate bands (an extendable? range of max and min down- and upstream rates);
  • 3 choices of maximum interleaved-delay (no=0ms, low=8ms and high=16ms) in the downstream;
  • 2 levels of max interleaved-delay (0ms and 8ms) in the upstream; and
  • 7 levels of INP protection (from no protection to 8 symbols)
But some combinations are not configurable (invalid).

E.g. we can't have downstream INP with no (0ms) downstream interleaving-delay (fast-path) [1]

cheers, a

[1] http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12463.0;attach=8840

edit: correction in INP vector
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:08:27 PM by asbokid »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

That seems to correspond to something I've seen elsewhere, where (it is said) that the ISP can request on behalf of the EU one of 3 VDSL profiles Gaming (No interleaving?), Standard (Low), and Stable(High).  :)

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »

Sorry Guys, I will need to catch up on Asbo and other's latest posts in a mo, as I am rushing to post some interesting news from Plusnet.  Here's my profile:
33M-67M Downstream, Interleaving Off - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off
2013-05-21T14:44:05

The timestamp is interesting as it probably marks the start of a 14day DLM review period.  [EDIT] or it could just be the time that plusnet extracted it!!!! ::) [/EDIT] Now here's the resyncs from BE's  ever-helpful stats:
08/04/2013 20:09 - RESYNC detected (DS 79999 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 52358 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps)
09/04/2013 05:26 - RESYNC detected (DS 35000 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 79999 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps)
11/04/2013 03:54 - RESYNC detected (DS 54000 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 35000 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps)
14/04/2013 05:53 - RESYNC detected (DS 66997 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 54000 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps)
01/05/2013 17:56 - RESYNC detected (DS 66969 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 66997 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) - 612+New BLOB at this point
17/05/2013 15:36 - RESYNC detected (DS 66997 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 66969 Kbps, US 20000 Kbps) - 622 at this point

I'll sit back and let the rest of you tell me what you make of that first. Remember 09/04/2013 is the day after somebody'd been sleeping in my cabinet!!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:24:49 PM by ColinS »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

there are 36 levels of banding that can be applied by Rambo, from 0.125Kbps up to 80Meg.
You must be refering to DS then? Are these tabulated anywhere (like here in Kitz perhaps? ;)) in a form like the ones quoted by PlusNet?  Does every DS band have a fixed corresponding US band?  If not, are we talking 36 DS x ?? US combinations?  ???

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »

Ha ha, you would think, wouldn't you ?? It may be just how the 'Override' system is laid out at 'our' end and could quite possibly present itself as 1,2,4,8 ...... etc etc, or 0,1,2 ...... when you guys look at the Modems ??
But, it is as I quoted above.

On my own connection, I have seen DS Interleaving depths of:-

1 - Fastpath.
16 - Presumed to be Low.
between 400 & 500 - Presumed to be Low?
upward of 1600 - Presumed to be High.

I have seen various other depths as reported in stats from other users.

I kind of assumed there would also be a Medium band, but it now appears that isn't the case.

I can't recall the highest I have seen, but from memory it was in excess of 1900.

So, within the No Interleaving, Low & High bands there must be a certain cut-off point.
I did ask Plusnet if they could confirm the cut-off points some time ago, but they didn't have that information to hand & seemed reluctant to ask BT.

Mrs. Eagle has recently become obsessed with Candy Crush.
I wonder if DLM spotted that & thus decided to give us the 'Gaming' profile i.e. Interleaving OFF.  ::) :no: :lol:

I really can't fathom why my line that has had various depths of interleaving applied throughout its lifetime (apart from the first few days following each DLM reset/recalc) recently had Interleaving turned OFF, unless the speed is now so low that it isn't actually needed.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6