Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Crosstalk & Vectoring  (Read 18460 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Crosstalk & Vectoring
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »

Further to the PM chat we had, BE, and for your information, I ran a remote GEA test against my circuit and it still shows a 'Bridged tap' fault, even though I've upgraded from 'dongle' config to 'SSFP' !!! So, I'm going to have to delve further myself.

Interesting..........

Is the GEA test something different to the Eclipse test that I have seen mentioned from time to time?
Also, do either or both tests provide graphical or textual output?

If you had your OGEA******* reference, I could possibly check your data on the 'Baseline comparison' page. It's rather hit and miss, but it sometimes shows the, 'Then and now' characteristics of your circuit, from initial start-up. IE: The number of circuits on VDSL (Not ADSL), speed, SNR etc etc.

I believe the BBIP & BBEU numbers (which I do have) are no use for this, so I'll ask Plusnet if they are able to provide the OGEA number for me.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »

Further to the PM chat we had, BE, and for your information, I ran a remote GEA test against my circuit and it still shows a 'Bridged tap' fault, even though I've upgraded from 'dongle' config to 'SSFP' !!! So, I'm going to have to delve further myself.

Interesting..........

Is the GEA test something different to the Eclipse test that I have seen mentioned from time to time?
Also, do either or both tests provide graphical or textual output?

If you had your OGEA******* reference, I could possibly check your data on the 'Baseline comparison' page. It's rather hit and miss, but it sometimes shows the, 'Then and now' characteristics of your circuit, from initial start-up. IE: The number of circuits on VDSL (Not ADSL), speed, SNR etc etc.

I believe the BBIP & BBEU numbers (which I do have) are no use for this, so I'll ask Plusnet if they are able to provide the OGEA number for me.

Absolutely they are, BE. Eclipse is a 'Low end' PSTN test. GEA (Generic Ethernet Access) tests are specifically designed for VDSL circuits. The low-level access that BT Wholesale allow us as engineers to have, doesn't give any graphical representations that I have seen. It's all textual. The Eclipse Test delivers results to the engineer purely via an SMS text to their mobile.

Alas, the BB numbers are of not much use I'm afraid. They are an absolute must for ADSL testing, but not VDSL. Again, I am referring to the level of access I have as an engineer. our 'DCoE' (Diagnostic Centre of Excellence) would probably have some kind of conversion tool to ascertain the OGEA from the BB reference ?? Just a guess though ??

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »

Thnks BS.

I have asked Plusnet the question & provided them with a link to this forum thread (just in case they are unable to view my attached animated GIF).

Response time was apparently around 12 hours when I posed the question, so I may have a reply by tomorrow.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 05:22:21 AM »

So this GEA number consumers dont have access to, only isp's?  As I wouldnt mind you checking my circuit as well.

110/36 day 1, 68/27 now.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 07:16:20 AM »

With the greatest of respect, and with hindsight, I don't think it's a good idea putting myself forward to do this sort of test ?? I don't want it to affect my professional position. Sorry.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:12 AM »

ok fine.

Your reply does suggest that faults will show on these tests that are not reported back on the tests to the consumer.  As I find it interesting you ran it on your own circuit and offered to do it for black eagle when I assume all 3 of us have already had JDSU tests done that pass the lines.

Can you answer this question for me, can a visiting engineer to my property access this Baseline comparison test if he wanted to so can verify current line condition vs the install condition? so eg. I tell my engineer the line is bad compared to day 1, the engineer acts all dumb (mine did) claiming he has no access to such data and that the speed I had was impossible (yes he said 80mbit sync impossible on FTTC).  Because if they can I am not too impressed more so now about how I was brushed off when I reported my fault.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:23:15 AM by Chrysalis »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 07:20:50 AM »

Your assumptions are correct, and Bald Eagle has just had a PM from myself.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 07:23:53 AM »

I edited my post with a new question if you dont mind answeing also thanks, basically if the engineers can all access this baseline data.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »

Only Broadband trained engineers have 'permissions' to request access. Most wont do so, as there is an NGA Helpdesk we can ring to get relevant information.
Being pedantic but also quoting our 'regs' , if the engineer performs a PQT to SIN349 and there are no issues, coupled with a 'Synch and Data' check that reveals there to be no errors. Then that's job and knock. Comparing 'Baseline Data' and the effects of crosstalk are not under our remit, as we don't guarantee speeds.

Obviously, this is a generalisation and it depends on the job at hand as to how 'Faulting' is carried out.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:19 AM »

yep I guessed that as well, so engineers that do these extra checks are doing so of their own back, but are not required to do so by openreach.  thanks again.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »

Well, Plusnet are going to arrange an engineer's visit as their tests have identified a fault.

I'm not too clear what that fault is yet, but here's just a snippet from their notes:-

RRT. shows LTBD. Downstream Line Rate changed by 25% or more in analysis period.Parameter/s Breach seen on 13-May-2013.

Anyone have any idea what that means, especially 'LTBD'?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »

Remote Radius Test shows Large Turbid Bird Droppings.

Has Mrs Eagle been naughty:-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:22:14 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »

I think it means they seen a more than 25% speed drop which means openreach should treat as fault.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything