Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: server hosting with a dynamic IP address on FTTC  (Read 9303 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
server hosting with a dynamic IP address on FTTC
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »

A brief look at the FTTC offerings from various ISPs reveals that very few ISPs are offering a static IP address, A static IP address is important for those planning to host web sites and other servers,     Those ISPs that do offer FTTC with a static IP can charge quite a premium for it.

A dynamic IP can be used for server hosting, but the name server records for the site must be updated in real time, each time the IP address changes.
Mostly this is done through a charged service.  A well known provider is dyndns. Prices start at $25 a year.

Below, however, is a free service that will manage those realtime updates of the DNS entries.   It looks promising, especially for nothing!

http://www.dnsever.com

cheers, a

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: server hosting with a dynamic IP address on FTTC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

A brief look at the FTTC offerings from various ISPs reveals that very few ISPs are offering a static IP address, A static IP address is important for those planning to host web sites and other servers,     Those ISPs that do offer FTTC with a static IP can charge quite a premium for it.

FWIW, Plusnet charge a one-off £5 for a static IP.
I think it may only be availble for 'unlimited' 80/20 FTTC customers though.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »

Well that's a good deal.  Spot on plusnet!  Can't grumble at a fiver! Hehe!

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 02:50:27 AM »

Thanks for that link.

iirc Zen also offer 1 free static IP on their FTTC home products.  Perhaps azzaka can confirm.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »

Well that's a good deal.  Spot on plusnet!  Can't grumble at a fiver! Hehe!

cheers, a

Yes, and at the moment they are offering 'half-price' (-£9.99) discount for the first 6 months on Unlimited Fibre.  Actually a very good deal with no snags, and I moved there myself on Wednesday fleeing from the Sky takeover of Be.

I am in the fortunate position to be only ~150m from the cabinet, so it seems I am getting the 'full-fat' 80/20, but it was all done with no fuss and no problems (well apart from the OR contractor bringing an ECI modem to use on a Huwaei DSLAM, but I just 'happen' to have an HG612 from somewhere!!)

I would actually recommend Plusnet from my own recent personal experience, which is not something I do often.  As Bald Eagle says once you're on Plusnet, you just switch the static IP (in reality a permanently DHCP-assigned address) ON from the Member web GUI, and they will add the one-off fiver to your next monthly bill.  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

iirc Zen also offer 1 free static IP on their FTTC home products.  Perhaps azzaka can confirm.

As a former Zen customer, I can confirm that that is the case, at least on ADSL. I assume the same is true for FTTC.

FWIW, Plusnet charge a one-off £5 for a static IP.
I think it may only be availble for 'unlimited' 80/20 FTTC customers though.

That is correct, it is available on FTTC and ADSL. It is not available on the non-unlimited products.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:28:05 PM by arobertson545 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »

That is correct, it is available on FTTC and ADSL. It is not available on the non-unlimited products.

The option is still there in my 'Value Fibre' (limited) Member Centre Connection Settings area, but that is probably due to me still being on a legacy account.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »

The option is still there in my 'Value Fibre' (limited) Member Centre Connection Settings area, but that is probably due to me still being on a legacy account.

That is correct. It is only on the new products where one can only get in on 'Unlimited'.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:48:24 PM by arobertson545 »

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »

Am I right in thinking that neither of the big boys - TalkTalk and Sky - offer a static IP?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »

>> neither of the big boys - TalkTalk and Sky - offer a static IP?

Nope..  nor BT (home)... the big ISPs just dont.   Which is why its so sad that the likes of the decent ISPs who would offer these for free is getting less and less. At one time, it used to be free with PN too : /
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »

Maybe you have had enough of TTB! but I think that TalkTalk Business have the option of a static IP included in their fibre add on.   I assume it is free but that would need checking. 

I believe that if the exchange has a TT LLU in it, then the back-haul and any limits or prioritization will be with TT.  I don't know if this is good or bad!

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »

Does Plusnet offer just one static IP, or can you order.. say.. five static IP's?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 02:50:05 AM »

Does Plusnet offer just one static IP, or can you order.. say.. five static IP's?

On the older legacy accounts that offered a free static ips, you used to be able to request a 4 block if you could justify a reason why you needed it and it couldn't be done via say NAT, but iirc anything more than that needed a RIPE form completing.

However, today's residential accounts only allow one.

-----

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »

Shame. As I'm with BT Business at the moment for the fact I can get five static IP's with no limit on the bandwidth, but it's not exactly cheap so was seeing if Plusnet were a viable alternative at the end of my contract.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »

Their business products still offer IP addresses as part of the package.

http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything