Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Coming to an ISP near you soon?  (Read 4421 times)

Coming to an ISP near you soon?
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/12/isp-invades-html-stream

"A CANADIAN ISP named Rogers is testing a method of hijacking its customers' streams and adding its own content on web pages."

You can just see some of the less trustworthy UK ISPs rubbing their hands with glee can't you? If Plusnet was still in previous ownership I could see them PAYING to trial it  :lol: Seriously though I can see vISPs galore using this if they get the chance :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Coming to an ISP near you soon?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »

I know what I'd do if I found my ISP doing that, and I wouldn't be saying "Thank you very much".
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:48:41 PM »

[post edited by kitz]

>:(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:33:29 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »

Strafford would have gone for it like a rat up a drainpipe kitz ;)

Edit - hit post rather than preview  :-[ I can see vISPs using it to cut the headline cost by a few pence. People will go for it too - then moan :(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:24:12 PM by rizla »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »

Technologies like this are clever and all that, and would be fine if they were used absolutely and completely sensibly and responsibly (I know, I'm idealising, but just let me have a moment!)

An ISP could use it to display a ONCE OFF message each browsing session, say, progressively more frequently as a user reaches their bandwidth limit for a month... or even if there's an update on a high-priority customer support ticket... one off messages I mean.

But ISPs would never do that, and from getting released to the first ISP using it for selling ad space will be no time at all.

Has to say where does copyright come in all of this? Is a company's webpage said to be defaced if it's plastered with ads without the permission of the website copyright holder? Does it infringe copyright laws or not? I dunno. I am not a lawyer!
Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »

The thing I wonder about is that if the teleco/ISP modifies traffic then how can they retain their "common carrier" status? If they're going to modify the datastream then they ARE responsible for everything that is transmitted.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:07:49 PM »

Well, yes, there is that, and the whole host of legal mess that goes along with that.

Let the lawsuits begin I guess.. the RIAA et al are probably looking on with glee, rubbing their hands together with dollar signs flashing before their eyes... ker-ching!!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 12:10:39 AM »

>> the RIAA et al are probably looking on with glee,

aint that the truth
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker