Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v2.6 released  (Read 17817 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v2.6 released
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »

whens it coming out!? :)

Tomorrow. :)
  Eric

ZeeGy

• Just arrived
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »

Is the error reporting for FEC broken or am I actually getting 15, 000+ per min? This leading to 353m in 3 days?

As far as I know, the program accurately reflects the data reported by the router. But I'm happy to look at it again if that isn't the case. If you look at the "Telnet data" tab, under "Connection stats" you can see the raw data from the router which I use to get the data for the graphs. About half-way down there's a section headed "Total time = .....", and the FEC figures come from there. With each sample, I compare the totals shown with the corresponding values in the previous sample, and convert the difference to a "per minute" value for the graph.
  Eric

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »

That's where I was getting them from, so I guess I was actually getting that many. :(

Had an engineer out today getting a fair few CRC's as it's on FastPath atm, engineer due back tomorrow. How many bitswaps per min should I be seeing, is 54 healthy?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »

That's where I was getting them from, so I guess I was actually getting that many. :(

Had an engineer out today getting a fair few CRC's as it's on FastPath atm, engineer due back tomorrow. How many bitswaps per min should I be seeing, is 54 healthy?

Some routers fail to zero the total on a reboot, and have to be actually powered down to get the values zeroed.
  Eric

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »

Some routers fail to zero the total on a reboot, and have to be actually powered down to get the values zeroed.

Thanks, but it did start at zero so I guess the 353m was true. Is 54 bitswap per min healthy or?

Cheers

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »

Is 54 bitswap per min healthy or?

Based on just a few modems bitswaps/min varies a lot between each them on the same connection.  On ADSL2 I have only seen values as high as 54/min with one modem and a snrm of 2.0 or less though.  I think it is just errors that really matter. A lot of bitswaps shows the modem having to try hard to reduce the risk of errors

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »

Thanks, but it did start at zero so I guess the 353m was true. Is 54 bitswap per min healthy or?

It's not unhealthy, but it's a fairly large figure. Together with the large numbers of FECs I would guess that either your connection is rather noisy or you're running with a low SNR margin. If the connection is stable then it's probably nothing to concern yourself about.

(For comparison, my connection is averageish, and I'm currently getting around 40 bitswaps per minute.)

[Edit] I just noticed that les-70 has already replied, and I agree with his comments.
  Eric

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »

54 constant throughout the day with the SNR from 6.3 to 4.4 though packet loss is my problem all my results shows it's from the outside of my gateway but hey that's BT for you. The errors have only been super high since the swap from the 80/20 to the 40/10 package.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »

I've no experience of FTTC, so I don't really know what's normal on such connections. If you want to investigate further it might be worth asking a question in the FTTC and FTTH issues section.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:55:54 PM by roseway »
  Eric

Nodens

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »

Hello Eric,

Trying to tweak SNR Margin with the slider I'm getting "Second stage login failure - check login details". I'm assuming this has something to do with me using special login.

On an unrelated note, I was trying to manually change SNR Margin via telnet and xdslctl configure --snr percentage_value does not seem to work. I can see the margin set in profile info but upon syncing SNRM is the same as before. I wonder if there is something I don't know at play here. Could this be VDSL2 related or the DSLAM not respecting the setting?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »

On an unrelated note, I was trying to manually change SNR Margin via telnet and xdslctl configure --snr percentage_value does not seem to work. I can see the margin set in profile info but upon syncing SNRM is the same as before. I wonder if there is something I don't know at play here. Could this be VDSL2 related or the DSLAM not respecting the setting?

The DSLAMs that provide the VDSL2 service for the Openreach NGA GEA will not respond to SNRM tweaking from the CPE.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »

[...] Could this be VDSL2 related or the DSLAM not respecting the setting?

Yes, it has also no effect on my connection because the DSLAM seems to use a fixed bitrate to synchronise.

Perhaps overlaying the data on the connection speed graph would be even more useful? I could plot it in the same colours but using dotted lines. Does anyone have a view on this?

This sounds well thought out.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »

Trying to tweak SNR Margin with the slider I'm getting "Second stage login failure - check login details". I'm assuming this has something to do with me using special login.

It looks as though there's a bug to be fixed there. I'll check it out. But in any case it appears that you won't be able to tweak your connection unfortunately.
  Eric

Nodens

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »

I thought it would be something like that :( My ISP seems to use a fixed 40Mbps bitrate for Fastpath and 43Mbps for Interleaved which is sad because my line is rather clean..it could only get cleaner with fiber..
On ADSL2+ they were setting a 9db SNRM and I was forcing 6db pumping the bitrate to 21Mps, perfectly stable. Their profiles are always conservative following a catchall mentality which I can understand.. but locking power users out of the configuration is just sad  :( Oh well!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything