Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v2.6 released  (Read 17762 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v2.6 released
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »

All running well here with the exception of intermittent errors on exit -- "unhandled exception ....", this has always happened in past versions but it does not trouble me much.

I notice that the special login offers a nice way to run commands on the router, might it be possible to have an option to only run the special login once at start up and not every time it samples?  I would like to use special at the start and the normal log in during the later sampling.

Alternatively I wonder if staying logged in is a possible option i.e. only login once, and might it speed up the sample time?

I think other things like dmt stay logged in and I assume this would be OK for most people.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »

All running well here with the exception of intermittent errors on exit -- "unhandled exception ....", this has always happened in past versions but it does not trouble me much.

This really shouldn't happen, and I've been taking some time recently to investigate it more thoroughly. Hopefully there will be an improvement in the next version.

I notice that the special login offers a nice way to run commands on the router, might it be possible to have an option to only run the special login once at start up and not every time it samples?  I would like to use special at the start and the normal log in during the later sampling.

That's an interesting suggestion, and it's certainly possible. I'll give it some serious thought.

Alternatively I wonder if staying logged in is a possible option i.e. only login once, and might it speed up the sample time?

I think other things like dmt stay logged in and I assume this would be OK for most people.

It would be possible, but I'm not sure that I want to do it that way because of other complications which it would introduce. It wouldn't speed up the sample time much, because the majority of the sample time is made up of the CLI commands sent after login. I'll have another think about it, but my inclination is against it.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »

It would be possible, but I'm not sure that I want to do it that way because of other complications which it would introduce. It wouldn't speed up the sample time much, because the majority of the sample time is made up of the CLI commands sent after login. I'll have another think about it, but my inclination is against it.

I would caution against such an approach as it could lead to the situation of a complete 'lock up' of the modem/router, making a power-cycle the only means of recovery.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »

I don't want to especially advocate staying logged in, but judging by DMT-tool which I have run for years faultlessly, it does not actually cause most people any issues. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »

I've been having a play with this, and I've implemented it slightly differently by using the special login configuration on its own. If you look at the screenshot below, you'll see that response number 4 is a simple CLI command which isn't part of the login. The option "After first login..." specifies that only the first three responses will be sent to the router after the first sample in the session. This setup works with my HG612, and produces the following entries in the event log:

Code: [Select]
23 Mar 2013 23:03:22    Recording started
Connected

ATP>sh

BusyBox v1.9.1 (2010-10-15 17:59:06 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

#
ls /bin
zebra      swapdev    pwd        mknod      ipcheck    dhcps      cli
xtmcmd     startbsp   ps         mkdir      ip         dhcpc      chown
xdslcmd    sshd       pppc       mc         igmpproxy  dbase      chmod
web        sntp       ping       ls         ethcmd     date       cat
vi         sleep      netstat    log        equipcmd   cwmp       busybox
upg        siproxd    mv         ln         echo       cp         brctl
umount     sh         msg        klog       ebtables   console    bftpd
tr064      rm         mount      kill       dsldiagd   cms        ash
tc         ripd       monitor    iptables   dnsmasq    cmfctl     MidServer
#
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »

Ah, a sudden thought. You should be able to use that to issue the commands to kill off Beattie's busy-body.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »

That's a good thought. I might make it a one-click option to add those commands.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »

The number of commands after "first" looks a neat and flexible way of arranging things.  I look forward to that version being available.

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »

Since v2.6 I didn't get any errors on closing anymore.

What do you think about adding a new graph to display the variation of attainable bit rates?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 10:51:11 PM »

Thanks for that information.

I could certainly add that extra graph. Perhaps overlaying the data on the connection speed graph would be even more useful? I could plot it in the same colours but using dotted lines. Does anyone have a view on this?
  Eric

Nodens

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »

Perhaps overlaying the data on the connection speed graph would be even more useful? I could plot it in the same colours but using dotted lines. Does anyone have a view on this?

Imho overlaying sounds good!

ZeeGy

• Just arrived
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »

I want to thank you for such an excellent application, i really, really like the looks of it.

Can i please, please request one feature however (as it seems not to exist yet).

can rs-w be set to auto-start recording when the application starts? that way, i can then set it as a service and be at piece of mind knowing that as long as my server is on, its grabbing stats.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »

Is the error reporting for FEC broken or am I actually getting 15, 000+ per min? This leading to 353m in 3 days?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

I want to thank you for such an excellent application, i really, really like the looks of it.

Can i please, please request one feature however (as it seems not to exist yet).

can rs-w be set to auto-start recording when the application starts? that way, i can then set it as a service and be at piece of mind knowing that as long as my server is on, its grabbing stats.

Thanks for your comments.

As it happens, version 2.7, which I'm about to release, recognises two command line parameters "minimise" (or "minimize") and "startrecording" which will hopefully meet your need.
  Eric

ZeeGy

• Just arrived
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »

Thanks for your comments.

As it happens, version 2.7, which I'm about to release, recognises two command line parameters "minimise" (or "minimize") and "startrecording" which will hopefully meet your need.

Spot-on! :) I only have more Q, whens it coming out!? :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything