Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v2.6 released  (Read 17761 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v2.6 released
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »

Just a few small fixes covering the points raised in relation to v2.51.

This version was uploaded earlier today, and I'm hoping that some users will have received the automatic notification of the upgrade. If you have, can you please let me know, and if you haven't, could you shut down rs-ux/rs-w and restart it (which should trigger the notification). Thank you in advance.

Changes since v2.51:

- corrected behaviour of system tray options
- added Minimise to system tray menu
- corrected calculation of "per minute" graph values with change of sample time
- fixed crash of Windows version when the system tray options were changed before the first run of the program
- removed Linksys X3000 from the routers list (not compatible with this program)
- adjusted the layout of the tweaking page to make more room for larger fonts
- improved the "Special login" capability to make it more widely applicable  (**** still experimental ****)

http://rsux.plainroad.me.uk

[Edit: website address corrected]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:36:42 PM by roseway »
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v2.6 released
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »

I started up rs-ux v2.51 (64-bit), which hadn't been running for a while (by choice) and it told me that an update was available. I responded with a 'Yes, please' and the deed was done. On attempting to exit the older version, I consistently received a 'floating point exception'.  :o

A new item for my wish list. Would it be possible to specify to where the new version should be downloaded, rather than assuming that the ~/.rsux/ directory would be appropriate, please?

The latest version (2.6) is now executing in a separate work-space. (And it's time for b*cat's delayed evening meal!)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:14:19 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Nodens

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »

Hello Eric,

I have good news. With your changes to the login thread, the timed option works perfectly. With the default 100ms it logs on every time. Without the timed option, it doesn't.
Attaching latest logs.

Also I'm not sure if you are aware but the http://plainroad.me.uk url in the first post does not point to the proper location.

Cheers,
Takis

EDIT: Forgot to attach the logs heh.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:52:42 PM by Nodens »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:38:30 PM »

Hello Eric,

I have good news. With your changes to the login thread, the timed option works perfectly. With the default 100ms it logs on every time. Without the timed option, it doesn't.
Attaching latest logs.

Also I'm not sure if you are aware but the http://plainroad.me.uk url in the first post does not point to the proper location.

Cheers,
Takis

EDIT: Forgot to attach the logs heh.

Thank you, that's good news.

Sorry about the incorrect URL, I've corrected it now.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »

I started up rs-ux v2.51 (64-bit), which hadn't been running for a while (by choice) and it told me that an update was available. I responded with a 'Yes, please' and the deed was done. On attempting to exit the older version, I consistently received a 'floating point exception'.  :o

A new item for my wish list. Would it be possible to specify to where the new version should be downloaded, rather than assuming that the ~/.rsux/ directory would be appropriate, please?

The latest version (2.6) is now executing in a separate work-space. (And it's time for b*cat's delayed evening meal!)

Thanks for the report. I'm not sure where the floating point exception came from, but I'll look into it. Actually it may be another instance of a bug in v2.51 which has already been identified and fixed, but I will make sure of that.

This was just a first step towards (optional) auto-updating, and I'll be changing the implementation anyway. I'm going to display the changelog as part of the notification, and I can add a couple of options, such as choosing the download location, as well.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »

Thank you for considering the suggestion.  :)

I suspect that the exception was a result of running rs-ux (to check for the update notification) but not starting the data-capture and graphing process because once I had received the update, I promptly attempted to exit the (earlier) binary.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:31 PM »

Eric I did get the notification when I started 2.51 earlier today, however I did not let it download but went manually to find it. I would prefer it to fire up my browser and take me to the site to do the download rather than doing what you currently do.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:02:16 AM »

Thanks Stuart, I'll take that into account.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »

Eric,

I find it a shame that confirm close of program and exit - minimise to system tray are exclusive.  I don't see why both can't be possible at once.  However maybe the windows X is meant to minimise as well as the internal window red X? In that case I do understand why they need to be exclusive and no problem when it is fixed.   The windows X currently just closes the program when minimise to system tray is enabled.   I would have preferred the windows close as well as the red close to minimise but I don't know what is intended and maybe to keep us all happy you add yet another option for the black as well and the red close??

The time averaging seems to mostly work now but I am suspicious that I can't get a  non integer value of crc/minute error  even with 600 sec average.  With e..g. 15 sec errors go in multiples of 4/min but they don't go in multiples of 0.25 with 240 sec or 0.1 with 600 sec. They always go in multiples of one once the average is more than 60 sec.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

I find it a shame that confirm close of program and exit - minimise to system tray are exclusive.  I don't see why both can't be possible at once.

I suppose they can both be active - I just assumed (wrongly perhaps) that this wouldn't be wanted.

However maybe the windows X is meant to minimise as well as the internal window red X? In that case I do understand why they need to be exclusive and no problem when it is fixed.   The windows X currently just closes the program when minimise to system tray is enabled.   I would have preferred the windows close as well as the red close to minimise but I don't know what is intended and maybe to keep us all happy you add yet another option for the black as well and the red close??

It isn't meant to happen like that, it's something I missed. My intention was that the system close button should have the same behaviour as the program close button. I'll take another look at this.

The time averaging seems to mostly work now but I am suspicious that I can't get a  non integer value of crc/minute error  even with 600 sec average.  With e..g. 15 sec errors go in multiples of 4/min but they don't go in multiples of 0.25 with 240 sec or 0.1 with 600 sec. They always go in multiples of one once the average is more than 60 sec.

I've had a quick look at the code, and it seems that I've rounded the values unnecessarily. I'll correct this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:00:49 PM by roseway »
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

Eric I just tested the window X in Linux 32bit and sure enough it does close the program, your big red X minimises it, I'm not sure if this happened before as I've just upgraded to KDE 4.10 today so it might have changed because of that. I'm not sure if I tested that before or not.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »

Thanks Stuart. Yes, I agree with your findings. I'd like to propose the following behaviour for the two close buttons:

The system close button

If "Confirm close of program" is enabled, then ask for confirmation before closing, otherwise close immediately.

The program exit button

If "Exit button minimises program" is enabled, then minimise immediately. In this case, if "Minimise to system tray" is also enabled, then minimise to the system tray, otherwise minimise to the task bar.

If "Exit button minimises program" is not enabled, then if "Confirm close of program" is enabled, then ask for confirmation before closing, otherwise close immediately.

I also propose to change the icon on the program exit button so that it looks different to the system close button.

(The background to this proposal is that it's actually rather difficult to make the behaviour of the system close button the same as the behaviour of the program exit button, in a way which will be consistent across all the target systems. So I'm proposing that I make them look different as well as behaving rather differently.)
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »

Eric I just noticed that I have had the invalid floating point error while minimised to the system tray on v2.6 which I believe you though you had solved. Sadly I cannot get to the event log to see if anything was recorded there. I'll leave it not minimised for now as that does seem OK.

As for you post about close/minimise I think that's reasonable.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »

Yes, I did think that one had been fixed. I'll leave it running minimised here for an extended period and see if I can get it to happen.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »

Eric, the Sagem 2504N is not supported by rs-w; it has no telnet client.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4