Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PC won't boot up  (Read 11576 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: PC won't boot up
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »

I'm not Stuart.  :no:

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »

I'm not Stuart.  :no:

Oops  :-[ :-[  Well there you have it.... you're talking with a senile old f*rt...sorry HP....no hope for me now is there  :-[  ;D
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »

Anyway it sound like you have a separate video card, not an onboard one.
That means it can be replaced if it is the problem.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »

Anyway it sound like you have a separate video card, not an onboard one.
That means it can be replaced if it is the problem.

Ok thanks for that, something I've learned then.  Think it will be a trip to PC world for them to have a look as I really wouldn't know how to start with the "innards" of the pc....pity I didn't learn about all this some years back...hmmm.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »

A question though....Would PC World be ok to take it to as I'd have some come back if problems with them wouldn't I?

Personally PC World would be the last place I'd take anything to be repaired. Ask around your friends to see if they have had good experiences with a local repairer, I'm sure there must be one somewhere near your.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »

A question though....Would PC World be ok to take it to as I'd have some come back if problems with them wouldn't I?

Sorry but as much as I like PC World for gadgets and things, the last 2 computers I have repaired were both after coming back from PC World after 'wait for it' A SERVICE, when one of them was taken back she was told 'sorry we don't repair computers' well in one sense that is true because as she was much later told 'they ship them out to be repaired' but the "Teck Guy ENGINEER" did not even know that, not to mention that the 'COMPACTED' dust in the processor cooler had never been cleaned in years.

So without going to deep, no I would not recommend PC World to repair your computer.

Maybe if you give the rough area of where you live someone here might know of a repair shop.

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »

hell if your in london I can do it for you - for a small fee of course! and yes i do have the qualifications and several years of experience

having been building PC's for my local neighborhood for the last 2 years, and maintaining them and such. i have dealt with many many old PC's from 3- 12 years old. and there is nothing i like better than to clean out and sort out a good old PC :D love the old buggers!!!

I will say however, there is no harm in you opening the side of the case yourself and taking a soft brush to the dust inside it and giving it a clean - and if the PC is 9 years old i imagine it will be a solid metal case so i doubt there will be any problems putting it back on.

with those cases there are normally two screws on the back of the PC that will release the side of the case and should be fairly easy to spot. if your looking at the back of the case then the screws will be down the right had side.

Once released, you can slide it backwards and then it will just lift out from there.

clean out the visible dust on everything with a soft bush. - then have a good look inside of the case.

commonly i find that The "Scream" is i would suggest dust build up in the fans on the CPU and the motor on the fan crying in pain as it cannot move, i say this with a little confidence.

It may well be any other fans on the pc that you are hearing to be "normal" and are still working ( for example a fan mounted on the rear of the pc. )

on older motherboards you will find that if the cpu fan won't spin the bios won't even respond or load up at all. you will never see a POST screen or manufacturers Logo. and old motherboards will suggest to the PC to shut down and leave the fans running to cool the pc down. in this case there will then be no signal sent to the monitor and the monitor will go into "standby" mode.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:34:07 PM by SecTSys »
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:14 PM »

Thanks for the input re PC World, I wasn't too sure about them though I know a lot of you techy guys don't like to get things from them, wasn't sure about their repairs.

@ Stuart...most people I know who have computers have family who can help them out...and I'm not that lucky lol, so I will have to look around.

@STS many thanks for your offer to do the repair for me, very kind of you but I'm not in London.  Thanks too for the gen on getting into the case and cleaning.  I'd LOVE to clean it out as I can see it's dusty and did run the hoover over the back and side grills when I took all the cables out and replugged them.  I thought you have to "earth" yourself (?) when taking the case off...having read that a few years back.  If I didn't mind losing everything I'd have a go at looking at it but I'd really like to salvage what I've got on it if at all possible. 

Thanks to all for your help, always appreciate this site for giving good advice et al so thank you guys.

Chrissie

SecTSys

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »

if your worried about earthing yourself - there is a simple solution - you can buy yourself an ESD Strap from Dabs.com for about £2.50 :) though with old desktop computers, - turn the power off at the plug and on the back of the Power supply unit but leave it plugged into the wall. - then that way if there is any static discharge the whole computer is earthed. - for cleaning the PC out with dust this should be sufficient.

laptops on the other hand - I do use antistatic mats ESD straps and a whole lot more!!

though obviously oblivious on my own PC's to any form of protection - I always take precautions on other peoples! that is a promise

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »

Hello Chrissie, hope you are well  :)

In all my years of working with electronics I have never Earthed myself or what I'm working on and never had any problems.

Chrissie how long do you leave it to boot up ?, if you have turned it off with the power button Windows may want to check it's hard drive and this may take some time.
Just try to boot it up, leave it, go and have lunch etc then come back later to see if it has come to life again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just spent some time googleing your problem and last year lots of people where having the same problems as you after updating Avast !

One interesting item was this "Avast has said they have a software design problem"
Every time Avast! upgrades their software, they will, and do, introduce new features, that may well conflict with existing software on a user's system.  Just because it worked well in the past does not mean the new version will work at all in the user's current configuration.

The only solution was to un-install Avast and re-install That's if you can ever boot it up.

The other item I found is that Avast can preform a 'Boot Time Scan' (To look for 'Root Kits' infection) this can take place before windows starts to boot (another reason to try to boot it and leave it alone for a good time).

Good luck
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »

Hi Chrissie  :flower:

Seems like XP users have been having problems with Avast when updating to version 8,see this thread

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=232017

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »

Hi Mike and Uncy  :thumbs:

I will have a go at leaving the unit on for some time, thanks for that, you never know it might wake itself up  :D  I just wonder why the screen goes into standyby though....I'm not computer au fait I know so I expect someone will put me right there.  However....what I did was...try the screen only with no unit on and the screen still came up with "going to sleep" and switched to standby  ???  I tried another screen on it before but again nowt comes up on that one when the unit it on and attached  :'(  so not sure what's going on.  Just have to add that the little processor working/not working light only "works" for a few seconds at initial switch on and then nothing even after the 5 mins I've left the unit switched on...so will it boot up after that?

Uncy, thanks for the link re Avast  :no: :no: :no: I did wonder if it was the version that it gave me to cause problems but of course me knowing nuffink thought perhaps it wouldn't do that....hmmm....now what do I do  :D  I'm now wondering if I should get someone to give it a thorough overhaul (it's very slow anyway and needs sorting)....or...just give up completely and buy a new unit though I've got things I really wanted to look at on this one <scream>.

Then there's the AV to sort, if Avast is giving problems what's the best free one to get instead of that, had enough trouble with AVG and got rid of that a couple of years ago....cor what I'd like to do to these *%@*!!* people who create all the problems for computer users/machines.... :-X we would have no need for AV's then methinks...

Chrissie

SecTSys

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »

Personally If you are worried about security  :police: and want a good antivirus for free  :lol:, - people will recommend AVG - I wouldn't for a free AV i would use comodo internet security http://antivirus.comodo.com/internet-security-for-home.php

Do yourself a favour though get yourself ESET smart security I still believe that it is better than Most other products that i have used. run the trial they have for 30 days, on one email address, and you will get the full product for that time too. if your happy with it you can buy it, - If you aren't happy about buying it then try out one of the other products available on the market. if your clever enough you can rotate the "trials" of full Internet security suites and have them all for free all year round. I did that for about 3 years!!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »

Ive gone off AVG recently -- too many false positives :/

Ive been installing MSE / M$ defender on machines of late.   Im also using it on here and quite like it, not bad for a freebie :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 03:25:32 AM »

I think what we really need is for Chrissie to post her approximate location in the country. With a bit of good luck, there might be a 'known' Kitizen who could then visit and give that computer a good 'talking-to'!  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3