Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PC won't boot up  (Read 11548 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
PC won't boot up
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »

Hi all,

Have a 9 year old desktop, OS is Win XP SP3 with IE 8. AV is Avast Free updated version to 7.0 last week. Next day I used PC for 3 minutes then screen froze. I could not get out of it, so shutdown on the unit as all had jammed up. Have tried reboot PC lots of times, all I get on screen is "going to sleep", screen switches off and unit stays on. I have to shut the unit off by holding the button in.

Would updating the Avast newer version have caused this problem or is it due to the computer itself? I have tried unplugging everything, re-plugging and switching on but no luck it's not booting up even though power on. I wouldn't know how to do anything to "repair" a problem so could anyone help me please in simple laymen terms?

Just to sum up, the unit works in that the power comes on, the processor light flickers for a few seconds as if booting up then stops but unit still running.  Screen comes up with "going to sleep" and switches to standby mode.  Can do nothing else with it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: PC won't boot up
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »

Will the pc boot in safe mode?

Press F8 repeatedly whilst the pc is trying to boot up.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

Not sure that Safe Mode (F8) is the answer as it sounds like there's not even the normal BIOS boot-up display that would precede it.

Sounds more like a basic hardware/mobo issue nothing to do with Windows, or if you're lucky just the graphics card (if separate)

Tell us more - does ANYTHING EVER appear on the monitor? Have you tried another monitor?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »

CPU needs re-greasing and re-seating?  mem stick wiggled loose?  PSU failing?   Probably one of those £5 faults.

cheers, a

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »

Hi

PC doesn't boot up at all (HP is right) so couldn't get into safe mode anyway  :no:  Have tried another monitor on it and nothing comes up when I switch the PC on.  All that comes up on the screen is a message "going to sleep" which it does!  That's how it goes when I shut down the computer....but this time I've just switched it on <scream>.  I thought it might be because of the new version of Avast but then others have suggested graphics card so I really don't know as I'm not into computer diagnostics anyway.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »

I think we can safely say it's not Avast.
Asbokid is going in the right direction but you'll need a PC expert - or a new PC, given its age.

PSU is always a good bet and cheap and easy to replace (few screws and plugs) once you've identified the right sort.
I tend to just replace the PSU anyway given similar symptoms as it's cheaper than paying for someone's time to do any significant diagnosis and you haven't lost much if it's not the problem.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »

Depending on the make of motherboard it might be possible to get an error code.

Some motherboards have a small display with two digits on the board itself and these numbers change as the PC starts to initialise until the point at which the BIOS hands over to the bootable system. So take the side off the case and look to see if there is a small display on the board, if so watch this as you hit the ON button and see if it shows anything and if so where it stops, this code might give an indication of the error.

Another method of indicating how far a motherboard gets initialising is a system of beeps from the internal speaker, count the beeps when it stops and again this number may give an idea of the error.

I'm always loathed to simply replace a PSU unless I have a good idea it is failing since a cheap PSU can be a very bad investment. With the case side off can you see if the fans are turning and can you hear if the hard drive is spinning up? If fans are not turning and hdd not spinning then it may well be a PSU fault.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

Thanks Stuart.  Firstly I must say I won't be able to take the side off, I'm really afraid to touch the computer like that because I don't know what I'm doing or if I will be able to replace the side etc etc (knowing my luck I won't be able to lol).

However, the computer is noisy as always has been, the fan is running and it sounds exactly as it always does, no different noises, just as normal.  The only thing that doesn't happen is that the processor light doesn't keep on flickering as that goes for a long time when booting up.  The light flickers for some seconds then stops but the motor and/or fan is still running and sounding exactly the same.  All that happens then is the screen goes to sleep and goes into standby but the unit doesn't shut down like it does when I turn off the computer the usual way. 

This all happened after the screen froze and I couldn't get out of it until I held the power button on to switch the computer off.  When switched on again it's acted like this and nothing will shift it.  :(

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

Out of interest how do you turn it off when it's in that state?
e.g. what happens if you press the power button briefly once (was that a normal shutdown in the past?) and what if you hold it for a few seconds?
Or do you have to pull a plug or flick a switch?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »

I think the only option you have is to take it to a (hopefully) reliable local repair shop for them to look at. Unless you are prepared to get inside it there really is nothing you can do now.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »

Hi HP

I turn it off by holding the power on button in until it shuts down, only way it will shut off  :( 

Stuart, I think you are right as I really can't think of repairing unless I didn't want the machine I'd probably have a go lol but if I can salvage it then I would prefer someone to do it for me but finding reliable is the key and I'm flying blind here...

A question though....Would PC World be ok to take it to as I'd have some come back if problems with them wouldn't I?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »

That suggests that there is "some" control function in the motherboard.
I'd start by investigating the PSU and video card - do you know if it's separate or "onboard".

Easy way to tell is if the video cable to the monitor leaves the system unit from a connector close to others such as mouse/keyboard/printer parallel to the long side of the case or if it's on a separate small (4" or so) plate at right angles to the long side of the case.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »

Stuart someone else mentioned graphics card to me but I don't know what happens to them if they go wrong.  Re the video (is that a graphics card?) on board or separate..... there's two leads from monitor.  One has a plug and plastic screws on to screw into the unit and that's on the left hand side above the printer lead.  The other lead from monitor is "jack plug" type and is near the bottom left hand side, above telephone plug and beneath ethernet and keyboard plugs.

That's about the limit of my technological expertise lol...they are all wires to me  :D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »

Left right mean nothing as layouts vary and we don't know which way up it is.  ;)

Is the cable with screws lying parallel to and close to the printer - or at right angles and an inch or moreaway?

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »

Sorry Stuart.  The cable with the screws is not parallel to the printer cable it is above the printer cable at right angle hope that means something to you...(I'm a computer dummy tha' knows lol)
Pages: [1] 2 3