Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Partition removal.  (Read 12144 times)

Ratae

Re: Partition removal.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »

Ok fellas, I bit the bullet and deleted Windows, then removed it from Grub.

As I suspected, I'm left with an empty partition that I can do nothing with.

However...it occurred to me that I'm no worse off than I was before. I've only used about 10 gbs of the available space on the machine anyway, as I don't use it for anything else but the internet.

So...I won't bother wiping the drive and doing a clean install...not yet anyway, and I have got rid of Windows on this machine which was becoming a pia!

When I get that ext drive back from Ratae minor, I might burn a Gparted live disc and see what I can do with that. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice and help.....see you all later!
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »

You could format that empty partition with a Linux filesystem and use it for data storage.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »

You could format that empty partition with a Linux filesystem and use it for data storage.

Eric...I decided to download that GParted live disc and burn it, then see what I can do with that!

But....I'm completely lost now 'cos I downloaded from 'Source Forge' what it called an .iso file, but when it downloaded it's an .exe file!

I've burned many .iso files before and used them to boot windows.....but what is an 'exe file supposed to do?   :-[

I also downloaded a zip file...I haven't a clue what to to with it!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

Can you see the extension and does it say .exe or .iso?
Or are you sure there was not the option of downloading either and you downloaded the exe file by mistake?

As for the zip file which is probably a .RAR just unrar (decompress) it with 'WinRAR' or any other zip file extractor.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »

Can you see the extension and does it say .exe or .iso?
Or are you sure there was not the option of downloading either and you downloaded the exe file by mistake?

As for the zip file which is probably a .RAR just unrar (decompress) it with 'WinRAR' or any other zip file extractor.

No Phil...it was a .zip file which I opened with 7Zip. That .exe file was the only file in it!

And 'NO' Phil..it definitely had .iso on it!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:18:11 PM by Ratae »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »

TBH I think I would be inclined to forget what you have already downloaded and start again, mainly because it's getting confusing what you have and what you thought you had.

I just tried Roseways link and although it was a bit slow it did give me the download option the second time I opened his link, so that might be your best option and just download that one and forget what you have already downloaded.

Ratae

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »

Yep...I'll do that!

Ratae

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »

Ok fellas....I'm damned if I know how I got that .exe. file...but anyway, as OF suggested, I started again!

So....I downloaded that .iso file of Eric's, burned the disc and ran it.

Well, considering most of the stuff on it was gibberish to me, I gave it my best shot! It doesn't appear to have been a complete disaster, far from it. I apparently have managed to format that unused partition to ext4, the other partition is the same, and I can see it in GParted.

But...I can't see it in the boot list when I start the machine, and don't know how to use it!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:32 PM »

As I said earlier I have seen that exact same picture in another program so.

Have you tried either right clicking the now unused portion or dragging the edge of the used portion into the unused portion to see what happens?

Always keep a look at the bottom left-hand side of the program screen after trying anything because that is where it will show any instructions you have told the program to do, plus eventually before doing anything you will be asked if you want to continue.

NB.
If you select to do the same thing more than once the program will also carry out your instructions more than once, which then obviously take a lot more time, so keep a eye on the bottom corner.

Is there nothing or anything about 'Merge' or something similar in your menu's?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »

I'm afraid it's my bedtime now, but briefly, in Linux you have to mount a partition before you can use it. That means creating a mount point, i.e. a directory to use for the contents of the partition (something like /media/data for example) and then editing /etc/fstab to add a line to mount the partition in that directory. You may find that your OS has configuration utility to make this easier, somewhere in the menu.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 11:49:09 PM »

As I said I don't use or know anything about Linux but when using the program in windows I simply elected to use all the vacant space once the space had been freed-up.

Ratae

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »

Right then fellas.... I don't quite know how, but there's just a chance that I might be halfway there!

Anyway...I installed a program called 'Storage Device Manager' from the repositories. In there I could select a partition and choose to 'mount or unmount'

So...I selected that sda1 partition and selected 'mount'

Now.....when I boot up, on the desktop there is an icon which reads '71gb file system' ... When I click on it Nautilus appears with a folder showing. There is a X  in the folder icon and it's called 'Lost + Found'

I've no idea what it is and I'm wondering how I can use this partition!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »

"Lost + Found" is managed by the system and contains files which have been misplaced as a result of some error situation. It's quite normal to find a directory with that name in a mounted partition. If the mounting has worked, you should be able to copy files to and from the partition, ignoring the "Lost + Found" directory inside it.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

Ok fellas...well first up, thanks again for all of the help and your endless patience!  :clap2:

Anyway...I have finally decided that Eric was right at the beginning, it's probably best to just reload the o/s fresh.

But for the minute, I'm gonna stop trying to fix something that for my purposes isn't really broken. I've deleted that partition and just using the 80gb one.

Later.  :drink:
Pages: 1 [2] 3