Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Partition removal.  (Read 12143 times)

Ratae

Partition removal.
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »

Well hello there, it's been a while, but as this is my 'default' forum for anything Linux.... I'm back!  8)

So..... I'm still using my Acer Netbook that dual boots with Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04LTS) and Windows XP Home. The first Partition of about 80gbs is the Ubuntu one.

Recently.... I've switched browsers on Ubuntu, and I'm now using the Chromium one, it is very much faster than the FF one in Ubuntu, and also faster than FF in the XP partition.

For this reason, I want to get rid of the FF partition and turn the whole machine over to Ubuntu.

I've had a quick shufty around...and it seems it's not quite a simple as just deleting the partition, I'm sure I read somewhere about the boot menu being affected.

So.....I'd very much appreciate some advice from one of  you Linux experts (like Eric) on this matter.

Pssst..... pretend your talking to an Ubuntu idiot, you won't be far wrong!  :-[

Thanks in advance.
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Partition removal.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »

If the Ubuntu partition is the first one, then there shouldn't be a problem with deleting the Windows partition. The bootloader will be in the MBR (Master Boot Record, not part of any partition) and the booting code will be in the Ubuntu partition. You can probably do the deletion from Ubuntu, if it has partition manager software installed.

After deleting the Windows partition, you'll still see Windows listed in the boot menu. Boot into Ubuntu, open a command line terminal, and type sudo update-grub which will refresh the boot menu.
  Eric

Ratae

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »

Thanks Eric. I have downloaded and installed 'Gparted'  Will this do the 'necessary' deletion, and if successful, will the new free space just be added to the Ubuntu partition?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »

The best way to manipulate partitions (backup anything important first..!)  is to boot from a live CD with gparted on it. [1]
That way none of the file systems on the hard disk are mounted. You can't merge, split or re-size the partitions if they're mounted.
gparted has made the process loads easier, but it can still be perilous - hence backup anything important.

Sometimes it's easier just to delete all partitions, create new ones, and reinstall the operating system (OS) from scratch.
One thing I try to do is create a separate /home partition.  In that way, upgrading the OS without disrupting all the user files, is much easier.

cheers, a

[1] http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »

Thanks Eric. I have downloaded and installed 'Gparted'  Will this do the 'necessary' deletion, and if successful, will the new free space just be added to the Ubuntu partition?
I'm only guessing here, but I think after you delete the partition you will then have to merge it with the first partition to be able to make full use of it.
Sorry I don't know if Gparted has a merge facility.

Ratae

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »

Hmmm...thanks fellas.

I read the advice to run GParted from a live disc, but this is a 'Netbook' without an optical drive. I do have an external one, but my youngest son has borrowed that and anyone 'owning' youngest sons, will know how hard it is to get stuff returned!  :'(

I've read the tutorial on GParted, and to be honest, it almost made my eyes bleed. However.....the GUI of the program clearly shows two partitions on the drive, and it's obvious to me which of the two is the XP partition.

I just need to know that I'm not going to be left with an empty, unusable partition! :'(

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »

gparted live can be written to and booted from a USB flash stick if there's no CD/DVD drive available.

The re-partitioning has to be done on unmounted file systems - i.e. using a live bootable operating system like gparted live.

Otherwise only half the job can be done - deleting the Windows partition is okay, but the adjacent Linux partition cannot grow into the freed space.

What is shown by the following?

Code: [Select]
sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
cheers, a

EDIT:

I just need to know that I'm not going to be left with an empty, unusable partition! :'(

That's exactly what does happen when you try to merge a new partition with a partition that's already mounted :-X
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:02:49 PM by asbokid »

Ratae

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 03:34:31 PM »

This is what Gparted shows for my drive ...

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »

I have in the past used similar programs that show that exact same screen-shot, once the partition was removed it then allowed me to merge the empty space into the partition next to it, thus increasing the size and doing what you want it to do.

I take it the first partition is the Acers original backup/recovery partition, so also if you wanted to and have no intention of going back to XP then you could also get rid of that partition.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »

As oldfogy has said, both sda1 and sda2 could be deleted, and then sda3 could be grown to the left.   sda3 is an extended partition, and contains two logical partitions sda5 and sda6. These partitions (or more accurately, the file systems on them) all have to be unmounted to perform that merge and grow operation.

The contents of sda3 (containing secondary logical partitions sda5 and sda6) will then have to be moved to the new beginning of the sda3 partition.   Since the partition/s are barely utilised that shouldn't take very long.

It could be worth studying the existing grub configuration, usually found under /boot, to confirm that it won't all bork when the partitions and partition table are manipulated!

Good luck!

cheers, a

EDIT:  what about going half-way, and shrinking sda2 from 56GB to 30GB or thereabouts, and then growing sda3 to absorb the free space released?  Not familiar with Windows, but will it still boot if the recovery partition is deleted?  If so, you could gain another 10GB from doing that.

EDIT2: Vague memories of it being a requirement that a volume has at least one primary partition. If so, sda1 and sda2 can't both be deleted, since that only leaves an extended partition sda3.   Sometimes it is easier just to wipe a drive and install the OS from scratch  :-\

EDIT3:  Logical partitions not "secondary" partitions. ???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:37:20 PM by asbokid »

Ratae

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »

As oldfogy has said, both sda1 and sda2 could be deleted, and then sda3 could be grown to the left.   sda3 is an extended partition, and contains two secondary partitions sda5 and sda6. These partitions (or more accurately, the file systems on them) all have to be unmounted to perform that merge and grow operation.

The contents of sda3 (containing secondary partitions sda5 and sda6) will then have to be moved to the new beginning of the sda3 partition.   Since the partition/s are barely utilised that shouldn't take very long.

It could be worth studying the existing grub configuration, usually found under /boot, to confirm that it won't all bork when the partitions and partition table are manipulated!

Good luck!

cheers, a

EDIT:  what about going half-way, and shrinking sda2 from 56GB to 30GB or thereabouts, and then growing sda3 to absorb the free space released?  Not familiar with Windows, but will it still boot if the recovery partition is deleted?  If so, you could gain another 10GB from doing that.

EDIT2: Vague memories of it being a requirement that a volume has at least one primary partition. If so, sda1 and sda2 can't both be deleted, since that only leaves an extended partition sda3.   Sometimes it is easier just to wipe a drive and install the OS from scratch  :-\

But according to 'Grub' ... my primary partition IS the Ubuntu one. Ubuntu is the first on the list and is the system that the netbook boots to if I don't 'select' one of them!

I also have a program on the netbook called 'Grub customiser' (I think) I have used this in the past for removing older versionsof Ubuntu.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:01:09 PM »

I meant primary partition as in the physical definition, rather than the partition that holds the OS that is booted by default:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning#PC_partition_types

Good luck with it!

cheers, a

Ratae

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »

I meant primary partition as in the physical definition, rather than the partition that holds the OS that is booted by default:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning#PC_partition_types

Good luck with it!

cheers, a

Thanks for the advice, I've decided to have a crack at it, if it all goes thingys up...I'll do a clean install!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »

Good man! ;D
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:28 PM »

Just remember 'Read twice, Click Once'
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything