Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: E-Readers and Tablets  (Read 35601 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: E-Readers
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »

I have to say, that doesn't make me lose any sleep. If people want to know what sort of books I read they're very welcome to the information. The targeted sales offers which result are only mildly irritating, and occasionally even interesting.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »

Regarding tablets...the market is flooded with cheap Chinese imports which even though the price looks tempting the quality is very poor.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8140656.htm

Additional Information

Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »

I dont know if this is of any interest to you, but in came in my 'deal of the day' type email from ebuyer this morning

Acer Iconia B1 Tablet PC - £99.96 inc p+p

It only has 8GB of Flash Memory...  but very interestingly it has an expansion slot - something that a lot of the cheaper Tablets (including all Apple) dont.  So very easily expandable to 32GB. 
It doesnt have the fastest processor, so may be a bit slow graphics wise (say if playing games/rendering ? ) when compared to more expensive models, but should be way more than enough for e-reading and general use.  Also includes a camera and looks a decent buy for <£100... and at least you are going with a 'trusted' name.   
Its something I'd consider if I had the money/was in the market to buy.

--------

Edited to add.

Theres a review of it here:-
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tablets/reviews/acer-iconia-b1-a71-review-326197

and here:-
[youtube]hi3WOfQkIJI[/youtube]

The youtube review gives it a damn good work out on games such as NeedforSpeed... and it seems to perform remarkably well for a £99 tablet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:47:20 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »

@UncleUB With living in the 'Sticks' it's not easy to look / play with these devices and the Argos one was the first one I have come across, I was going to have a trip to another nearby town but it's heavy snow today.
@kitz  That Acer looks nice but I think that screen is going to scratch being plastic and the battery life is poor, looking at the video I now understand why they have 'Accelerometers' on them.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »

Just been to Tesco and had a play with Kindles, and Tablets, the one I have chosen is this one (same model as at Tesco but cheaper on Amazon  ;) )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Options-55662-Capacitive-Android/dp/B00ALTD6V0/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got the latest operating system and CD card slot at 1.6Ghz processor  :)  .

It looks good at displaying books as that is what my wife wants one for.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 06:45:47 PM »

Glad you got something sorted  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: E-Readers and Tablets
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »

Thanks all.
Lets hope it comes in time for my wife's BD.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »

Lets hope it comes in time for my wife's BD.  :)

:fingers:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »

The wife had had a credit card payment confirmed by the bank, only for them to issue a charge 2 weeks later for not making the pymt and issueing a mark against the credit score. So she's changed bank's. Last night got a notification from the new bank.

For opening an new account with us, would like us to send you a free Kindle Fire.  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 11:28:11 PM »

The wife had had a credit card payment confirmed by the bank, only for them to issue a charge 2 weeks later for not making the pymt and issueing a mark against the credit score. So she's changed bank's. Last night got a notification from the new bank.

For opening an new account with us, would like us to send you a free Kindle Fire.  ;D

That's great.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »

My wife's tablet came today  :) a day earlier than they said (thanks Royal Mail).

I'm very impressed with it and what you can do with it, it take a few seconds to boot and then it's very fast and responsive, good sized clear screen, it connected to our home WiFi ok, I added some 'Apps' so she can read her books and it seems nice and easy to use and turn the page's by touching the screen left or right, makes text larger or smaller etc. , CD card expansion slot (32Gb), USB, HDMI, internet browsing is fast thanks to the latest Android operating system (Linux based) ;D

On the negative side the power/ charger lead could have been longer and you should be able to charge from usb  >:D, Flash is not easy to install (no Apps )
See http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57554629-285/install-adobe-flash-player-on-jelly-bean-devices/
, Music should be played over the speaker than the ear phones. Edit it does play over speakers  :-[

But otherwise it's a very good buy for £114 and is better than some of the dearer tablets.

Edit... I have installed Firefox browser today and that is great.  ;)
If you do not yet have play store set up you can get the Android version from
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/latest/android/multi/
Let it download then click install. notes = http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/download-and-install-firefox-android
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:15:16 PM by tickmike »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything