Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Comments on tutorials  (Read 19819 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Comments on tutorials
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 10:36:55 AM »

One more thing I was going to ask about, but not having yet read your latest tutorial, you may have covered it... what about basic housekeeping such as taking out the trash and defragging?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 11:52:32 AM »

I haven't covered those things, and they're good suggestions. Defragging isn't considered necessary with Linux file systems (so long as you don't let a partition get over-full) because they use smart techniques for placing the files which keep them mainly contiguous.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »

I thought that might be the case with defragging in Linux... it's always amazed me how dos/windows has always managed to stick related stuff all over the place.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 02:30:48 PM »

If I had chance Id actually have a go at installing again.

However problem I have right now is that Im running short on HDD space on this PC..  and because Ive handed machines down to the brat the only "spare" Box atm I have is the PIII which is the one that already has RH 9 on from about 4 years ago and had problems with hardware compatibility.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »

One option might be to stick another hard drive in your PC if you've got one lying around. Linux isn't fussy about what drive it's installed on. But I mustn't get too pushy now, must I? :-[
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »

heh - and if you did dual-boot kitz, you could mount your NTFS drives and use Samba to share the relevant folders on your main PC so when it was booted into Linux you'd still be able to access the shares you use remotely!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 01:16:52 PM »

It would have to be an external drive - as you know Ive already got nearly full 200 + 250 GB drives.

TBH this whole machine needs an upgrade.. and the HDD situation needs looking at badly.   :(
The 200GB drive is utilised as a backup for the existing C+D drive..  with the linkstation for music etc.
I think theres no doubt that in reality I need a couple of larger drives and RAIDing them
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 05:23:20 PM »

Gosh eric

I spy another tutorial - you have been busy and put me to shame  :-[

Well done you :)
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »

Thanks Eric for another well written tutorial... some of it is actually sinking into my decrepit brain.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »

Thanks both. :)

And both of you are doing yourselves an injustice.

Eric

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 05:08:35 PM »

Well done that man :)

May I suggest that you take some of Tutorial 6 and try to work it in a bit earlier in the series? I think it would read a bit better if permissions (passwords) and filesystems/mount points were somewhere nearer tutorial 2 where you do mention root passwords.

I still remember the trepidation of installing new operating systems and thinking "Oh gods where's the hard drive gone", then thinking "Great the manual is on the CD which has gone where exactly.....?" :lol:

Can't really think of much else to say as it seems spot on :)

PS - I'm assuming the Tutorials are still open to edits? I think once you get it polished just right (in your eyes) you should take all the Tutorials and use OpenOffice to turn it into a nice PDF suitable for download. Its not that many pages so it seems just about right for printing before that install :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »

Linux was very much inspired by Unix, which existed long before Windows. Unix uses the forward slash (/) as its directory separator, and so does Linux. The internet of course also uses / because the vast majority of internet servers run Unix or Linux. Windows chose a different route for historical reasons.

What exactly were those 'historical reasons' - I've always wondered why, but I'm pretty sure that the \ is probably the only character invented by IT.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »

The original version of DOS didn't have a directory structure - all the files were together at the top level. So there was no need of a directory separator, and / was used to separate command line parameters, e.g.:

dir /param1 /param2

When it was realised that a directory structure was needed, they used \ as the directory separator to avoid confusion with the / which was already in use with command line parameters.

I think that's how it happened anyway. :)
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 07:04:30 PM »

PS ... and have probably regretted that decision ever since.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 07:10:49 PM »

May I suggest that you take some of Tutorial 6 and try to work it in a bit earlier in the series? I think it would read a bit better if permissions (passwords) and filesystems/mount points were somewhere nearer tutorial 2 where you do mention root passwords.

PS - I'm assuming the Tutorials are still open to edits? I think once you get it polished just right (in your eyes) you should take all the Tutorials and use OpenOffice to turn it into a nice PDF suitable for download. Its not that many pages so it seems just about right for printing before that install :)

Yes I agree. I do intend to polish the tutorials and suggestions are very welcome. I'm not planning any new ones at this stage, so polishing the present ones is the next job.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3