Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No mention of P41!  (Read 5715 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
No mention of P41!
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »

Hi folks
Reading all you lucky peoples problems with FTTC! ;) Have been searching high and low to find the status of my Cabinet in Wrexham. Final found the PCP list and there is no mention of it what so ever. Does anyone have any contact details for BTetc for me to enquire as to why this is.  :(
Cheers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: No mention of P41!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:07:47 AM »

Hello Dwight, welcome to the Kitz fora.

Information regarding the status of the Wrexham exchange cabinet P41 is best obtained by contacting the Openreach NGA team directly. Their e-mail address is: nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

If I am remember correctly, a fellow Kitizen, GunJack, is familiar with the Wrexham area . . . perhaps you could send him a PM and say 'Hello'?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:10:30 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:39:18 PM »

Hi Dwight,

You will get an immediate summary of what is available now by using this web site:-

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

We can interpret the political / technical data for you if you would like to post the results here.
If you provide your post code we might be able to give you a little more background.
PM me if you wish.

Kind regards,
Walter

EDIT I've just checked Wrexham and Wrexham North and can only "see" PCP 41 on Wrexham.
Sadly you've drawn one of many short straws and you are not to be enabled with a FTTC so I'm afraid it's tough luck unless you can find an entrepreneur who is prepared to defy the mighty behemoth.

This is from a December 2011 database so it might just have been updated since then.
The link above will verify the current status.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:56:04 PM by waltergmw »

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

Reasons why a particular cabinet is not(yet) being upgraded to FTTC usually fall into one of two main categories.
1.  Non economically viable - ie too few lines/ADSL services currently served by the cabinet.
2.  Severe physical/logistical/legal access problems etc preventing the upgrade.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »

Yup, BT are a business at the end of the day. If it aint financially viable, it simply will not be done. Not done out of spite, or drawing of straws, just very basic commerce skills, :).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »

If it still hasn't been upgraded, your best bet would be to petition your local community to 'Express an interest' by logging onto the BT Infinity website. If the uptake is enough, inroads may well be made into carrying out an upgrade.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »

@ c6em it's likely to be the latter given the number of postcodes served.

@ BS But don't forget:-

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/aboutus.do

However if there's a sweetener in the form of a taxpayers' subsidy from the County / Region involved the situation might change.

K R
Walter

EDIT I've just done a quick Post Office Postcode check and there are only 746 addresses listed against that PCP 41.
That's one hell of a PCP line count so my guess is that Martlesham Heath can't count up that far !

This could well be a splendid place to provide a new first class FTTP solution, but I wouldn't hold your breath !

K R
Walter
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:44:03 PM by waltergmw »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »

You say 'Tom-ay-to', I say 'Tom-a-to'. You say 'Sweetner in the form of taxpayers subsidy', I say 'Not commercially viable to Openreach, which is why 830Million has been put to one side to help fund the roll-out of FTTC'.

The same end result, but the way it's worded comes across as a) A Mafioso type arrangement, or b) A Government backed plan to aid in bringing high-speed DSL to those area's that wouldn't necessarily have been given the opportunity, due to it not being financially viable for BT to do so as the sole contributor.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/bringingfibretocommunities/bringingfibretocommunities.do   

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:30:07 PM »

Hi Dwight,

You will get an immediate summary of what is available now by using this web site:-

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

We can interpret the political / technical data for you if you would like to post the results here.
If you provide your post code we might be able to give you a little more background.
PM me if you wish.

Kind regards,
Walter

EDIT I've just checked Wrexham and Wrexham North and can only "see" PCP 41 on Wrexham.
Sadly you've drawn one of many short straws and you are not to be enabled with a FTTC so I'm afraid it's tough luck unless you can find an entrepreneur who is prepared to defy the mighty behemoth.

This is from a December 2011 database so it might just have been updated since then.
The link above will verify the current status.

Hi Walter.
Cheers for the warm welcome from all
Been there and got the T-shirt, so looking a bit deeper. But your line count is a lot more helpful, how did you go about it? As it will be useful for me to mail drop the correct streets, along with contact of the NGA team.
Thanks Again
Dwight

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »

Hi Dwight,

The data base is supposed to be top secret and is not normally revealed to ordinary members of the public.
Very sadly for us, BT has tightened their monopolistic grip on this vital national asset.
You will also be told that the network topology is not in the public domain, but if it's overhead you are allowed to look up and see where the lines go.

Strictly speaking the count is not of lines, as it's collated from the Post Office's Post code database of premises.
In all probability there are significantly more actual lines, but you will know better than I, depending upon the number of commercial properties and larger houses many of which used to have a phone line and a fax line.
If you have any industrial estates you may find that they are not commercially viable too, as BT prefer to charge far more for dedicated services there.

As I was busy at the time, I've just summed the numbers in each postcode, but I should have also adjusted any where the percentage figure is not 100%.
The numbers involved seem very large to me, but I'm only an amateur.
If you go into walking-boot mode, you may find there are SCPs too (Secondary Connection Points) which are effectively daisy-chained off the PCP.

You will be in for a very hard struggle unless a big row is brewing with the politicians and public servants.
Sadly the only competition, Virgin Media, isn't keen on major developments yet, but you could ask the question.
That might well be the strongest lever you have to get BT involved as it was in Ewhurst where, after our struggle since 2005, they destroyed our preferred supplier and then left a horrible unresolved mess, many on long lousy lines of up to 2.5 Km D sides.

Instead of our solution tailored to the population, BT in their infinite wisdom have only installed cables, single ducts and ECI 128 FTTCs with a maximum capacity of 300 services to cater for 900 houses with about 1,500 lines. Given sufficient delay BT sometimes enhance our streets by doubling the FTTCs. We have 50 or more houses that can't get a VDSL service at all. Below you'll see the magnificent result of two months struggle to improve a VDSL service which, along with about a dozen others were estimated at 19 Mbps but don't get anywhere near that value. This estimate has now been corrected to 2.2 Mbps Down and 0.4 up Mbps.

You might find some other interesting tidbits around here too:-

http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?p=3250

Good luck !!!!

Kind regards,
Walter

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »

Walter I am crying for you! :'(
My ADSL is banging on 5's.
My fingers have been doing the walking with Google maps and the RM postcode checker. So I now the area it covers now. Our local MP also had a chat with them, so I will be doing an email to him as well. So thanks for the update and I will have to formulate a plan of action!

anything