Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I want to build a new PC but don't know where to get parts?  (Read 3947 times)

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
I want to build a new PC but don't know where to get parts?
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »

Well ok the title is a bit misleading i know exactly where to get the parts from. but i am sure a lot of people would be interested in knowing which is why i am posting this here.

Most of you know about dabs.com yes? (Yes) Most of you know about BT.com and there little "shop" yes? (Yes)
what happens when you merge the two together (which actually happened in 2006!)

Do you know of the "Traders" website for Dabs.com where things are a little cheaper than the commercial site. http://www.dabs4work.com - which used to be the website for the "trade prices" as a business or trader that you could purchase from (hmmm... some of you may not be aware of that one!)

Now have a look at where it takes you ...  http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/

just to let you know - everything on dabs.com is on the BT website with a cheaper price. - except it isn't
let have a look the price of exactly the same PC build from 2 "different" places on the internet.

This isn't top notch uber good gaming PC but the parts are a fairly decent.

The case:  Gigabyte GZ-G2 Gaming Case Plus with USB 3.0 Ports & 2 Front Fans
The Power supply unit (PSU):  OCZ Technology 500W CoreXStream Series Power Supply
The motherboard:  Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SB950 DDR3 ATX TUF R2.0
The CPU (Processor): AMD FX-6100 AM3+ 3.3GHz 14MB 95W (6 Core CPU)
The Ram (Memory):  Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 Vengeance Black Performance Desktop Memory Kit
The Cooling system: Corsair Memory Cooling Hydro Series H100 High-Performance CPU Cooler
The Graphics Card: Asus ATI Radeon HD 6670 2GB PCI-Express HDMI
A Solid State drive: Kingston 120GB SSDNow V+200 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
A Storage drive: Toshiba 1TB SATA 6GB/s 32MB 7200RPM 3.5" Hard Drive
And finally a Blu-ray drive: LiteOn 12x Blu-Ray Combo Internal SATA Black

both prices include VAT

Lets start at Dabs.com all of this will cost you a total of... Total (inc VAT)    £640.01
Now if we look at BT Business direct we get a total price of... Total (inc VAT)    £711.32

don't believe me look at the pic!

http://i.imgur.com/ymOuyig.png

Surely something needs to be done about this!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:05:14 AM by SecTSys »
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: I want to build a new PC but don't know where to get parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »

Not on the PC atm so cant inspect the images in detail, but it seems quite a difference for the same thing from the same parent company :/

Not sure if its worth mentioning but also have a look at Scan,  I built a system last year and by careful use of their deal of the day parts managed to get a fairly high spec PC for my budget.  eg Id thought I could only budget for i5 at most, but ended up with an i7 for only a couple of quid more which was bundled with the mobo on their deal of the day.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »

I've always found EBuyer to be the best source of components. The last time I built a PC, about 6 months ago, they were quite a bit cheaper than the other alternatives I checked, including Dabs.
  Eric

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:09:25 AM »

Sorry, but I don't see what is the problem.
It's called channel marketing where you sell the same product at different prices though different outlet streams which will have a specifically selected UK demographic which are attracted to them.
At one time it was easy to separate out the streams so they did not overlap with people realizing it was the same product but with the internet this is less easy.

So for a real example I wanted a petrol pump for an old car.
I can either buy it from an professional ebay based seller/shop.
or I can buy it from the same seller through their own external standalone website
or I can drive a long way and buy it in person from their wharehouse.
The prices are all different.  In this case the highest was the wharehouse and the lowest was their online website with ebay "buy it now" being interestingly higher.
The reason ebay was higher that online direct is because professional saavy industrial buyers would be dealing direct leaving ebay to pick up those individuals who "think ebay is always cheaper" and buy from that without thinking.
One needed to do the research to realise that the ebay pro seller and the standalone website seller were actually the same company and both listings took their feed from the same database of stock levels/part numbers.

As well as price consideration other companies may trade on 'respectibility image' to enable them to charge higher - think John Lewis.

Where this gets really interesting is where the product is tweaked slightly, re-branded/packaged/advertised differently and then sold at a MUCH higher price to its base alternative - think cosmetics.  But then again standard economic theory of higher price = lower sales does not apply to these aspirational goods and higher prices leads to more sales volume as the product is seen to be more exclusive.

Then I suppose you get to my world of industrial bespoke goods where the price for the same product is whatever you feel like on the day depending on factory loading, exchange rates, and whether the customer has in the past been a "difficult one".  Awkward customers who seek to find spurious ways of finding "faults" as a way of delaying payment are charged more in future to compensate......

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:45 AM »

The problem is the site that is supposed to be selling to Traders works out significantly more expensive that the site that is selling to consumers
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »

The problem is the site that is supposed to be selling to Traders works out significantly more expensive that the site that is selling to consumers

Yes but remember that a large number of traders will not have to pay VAT so the price works out less, and even if the are not VAT registered they will pass on this cost to their customers.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP