Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Printers  (Read 4189 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Printers
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

My Canon Pixma 3000 appears to be giving up the ghost, (Wont print my labels or print colours) so I'm looking for a replacement, I've been satisfied with Canon so far and as my scanner is also elderly I'm considering a multifunction printer/scanner/copier, can I have you views please and any tips, pros and cons you may have.

Thanks in antisipation,

Peter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Printers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »

Do you want good photo quality? I use a Canon MG6250 mainly for photo printing. It's got two paper trays, so I use the bottom cassette for copying and non-photo printing, and the top one for photo printing. This works well, and the quality is good.
  Eric

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »

Thanks roseway, looked at that one but out of my orice range I'm sorry to say, (Have to watch my pension! ;) )

I may have to forget the mulitifunction and go for a compromise on price and spec.

Regards,

Peter

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »

Hello Peter,

I use and could recommend an Epson SX535WD. It's an all in one (printer / copier / scanner) and I think you could probably pick one up for a reasonable price. It was a piece of cake to setup, and I believe it can be set up to use a Wi-Fi connection, although I use mine via Ethernet.

Good luck

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »

Thanks Toulouse, a penny short of £90.00 on Amazon, tempting, I'm making lists of all suggestions.

Ta

Peter
PS As the next printer I buy will only be the third in fifteen years I suppose I may as well get a decent one, it may well be the last I buy given I am almost 75!

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »

I've had HP printers and always found them reliable. In fact both my old ones are at my parents house and still work fine.

The photo printer always gave good quality prints and the ink seems to last on the prints very well. I used HP ink there are cheeper options but I used it for photos, so I wanted the quality and it to last.

I wish I took it with me as we have a Kodak ESP9 which is one of those combo scanner/printer units. It's supposed to connect via a wireless link to the router. It drinks ink like there's no tomorrow Seem to refuse to work 1 in 3 times because its requiring which ever computer to upload the latest software. the rest of the time it just refuses to work 1st time without a shutdown and reboot. It drives us nuts.

Maby when you get a new one and it works ok you could post which one you have so I can replace ours before we set an 'Edinburgh socket set' to it

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »

I have an HP Photosmart C4480,it also copies and scans.Cost me under £25 from Comet 4 years ago.Never had any problems at all.

Not sure what the equivalent is today though.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:04:08 AM »

My current printer/scanner HP Deskjet 3050A cost me about £35 a year ago, and is pretty good, except that it doesn't print right to the edge of the page.

That seems to be the significant difference between the cheaper printers and the more expensive ones. 

The picture on the box is often a giveaway : does the page coming out of the printer in the picture have the print up to the edge, or is there a white border?

This may not bother you, but if you're making occasional greetings cards/art stuff, it can be annoying that there are unmoveable white borders in the way.

Otherwise, the print and scan quality on this printer are excellent, especially given the price.

Ian

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »

Well I fianally settled on a Canon ip7250 series.

I've printed a few photos and it prints right to edge as Sheddyian mentioned, the only drawback so far is the price of inks and I've yet to find a compatible supplier.

Thanks to all for suggestions and reccomendations.

Regards,

Peter

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »

Peter
I have a Canon ip4950 and I'm very pleased with it. Before that I had a IP5200. For both I bought chipped compatibles via Ebay for about £1.50 or less each. I've used several different sellers but providing their feedback is 98-100% or so I've found them OK. My last purchase was from a seller called Printsolution who sold me 10 carts (2 sets of 5) for £9.95 with free carriage. I don't know if he is still selling or if he's got yours but my experience was fine but there's no guarantee of course.
Tony

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »

Thanks Tony, I'll look for them.

Peter

anything