Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Greedy Sky?  (Read 3158 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Greedy Sky?
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/sky_broadband_adding_customers_first_capacity_after/

Sky has confessed it has overloaded its broadband service by putting far too many Brits onto its network. The media giant told The Register that it has run out of capacity in certain corners of the UK, which has knackered its users' internet connectivity at peak times.

Subscribers to Sky Broadband Unlimited in Doncaster, North Wales and Bristol have complained of connections grinding to a halt especially in the past three months. This is despite the company promising "we'll never slow your Unlimited broadband down, even at peak times".

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Greedy Sky?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »

Either greed or just very bad planning. Very possibly both.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »

Unfortunately I think parts around here are one of the affected areas.  My parents connection is appalling and my daughter often complains about hers even though they are on different exchanges.
I think I mentioned fairly recently in another post that I myself would not choose them because of what I see on this exchange and suspect that theyd had an influx of the heavies with their unlimited account :(

>>  Very possibly both.

Agreed :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »

Unfortunately I think parts around here are one of the affected areas.  My parents connection is appalling and my daughter often complains about hers even though they are on different exchanges.
Have you tried the link on the Register article ?

I just entered my postcode and my exchange isn't affected  ;D
Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »

As Sky have bought O2/Be's landline/BB business I thought I'd bump this.

I'm nobody's cheerleader but Sky are admitting problems at an exchange in Leicestershire that I know of. BT aren't - they say its fine.

The issue is that neither Sky or BT have 10GigE ports on their equipment. The exchange is FTTC enabled and "issues" have been ongoing for months. The fix is to upgrade from GigE to 10GigE ports - for non-techies this is an extremely expensive operation for a lot of reasons.