Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forum updates  (Read 5495 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Forum updates
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »

I believe I had an instance of the "no unread posts" sort most of yesterday but all good again this morning.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Forum updates
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »

I would think the most likely suspect would either be a very quick reload or or a cookie issue, as it the cookie on the local machine which keeps track of whats been read since last visit.

forums use "cookies", or information about the user's behavior on the site sent to a user's browser and used upon re-entry into the site. This is done to facilitate automatic login and to show a user whether a thread or forum has received new posts since his or her last visit. These may be disabled or cleared at any time

link
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:32:46 PM »

Thanks for your response. Although Firefox is configured to keep all cookies I am in the process of changing over to Win 7 from XP and I can multiboot the two OS's. It is possible the cookie handling is different in some way in the two FF's and the occasional switch back to XP caused the problem. Sorry to have raised a hare, and thanks for the link.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »

Thank you for raising it Tony :)

I think I was just trying to say that after having a look into what could be causing the problem, that any issues with read posts are most likely to be something to do with the cookie on the local machine rather than the server side.  Im not certain how it does this as it must at some point interact with the server so that certain information can be retained during cross-browser use, but everywhere seems to suggest it is the session cookie that controls this feature.  About the only other thing I know is that the session cookie for SMF online lasts 15 mins.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »

I use Win7 and XP on this PC and what little I do use Win7 (I still hate it) I have never noticed any difference in FF of either windows versions.

One thing I would always recommend though with FF is to use the Sync option as it will automatically keep all your favourites and passwords up-to-date on any PC that you have or even use.
Setup Sync on the one version, copy your Sync number to the PC, start your other version of Windows then start and paste your Sync number in the Sync box, from then on .................... simples.

Sorry for going OT.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »

OF. One of the reasons I kept a version of XP on my machine is because I like FF 3.6 which I have been using for ages. With my Win 7 installation, keeping to my vow of keeping up with the grandchildren, I have FF 18. This has the sync facility but I don't think 3.6 has. To be honest I'm not using XP very much at all at the moment but thanks for the hint.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:31 PM »

I'm not sure which version of FF I am using in Win7, but here on XP I have recently upgraded FF to v5 and I find that is as high as I can go without FF knocking out some of my Add-ons, although it does initially remove a couple it's only a mater of re-downloading them, things like 'Tab Mix' but I just noticed FF Sync 1.7 is listed as a add-on in my add-on list in this version.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »

2 mins - doing a critical security patch
(or will do when HP has finished posting) :D
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »

Done!
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »

(or will do when HP has finished posting) :D
Sorry, wittering on about some BT phones still requiring the ring signal on wire 3.  :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »

NPs... 
...was about to take it off line when I noticed it said that you were making a post and didnt want you to lose the post.

It was only a simple patch and I think it took me longer to take the forums off line than apply the patch  :D

-----

anything