Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Simple Mailing List software (Windows!) suggestions please?  (Read 2503 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Simple Mailing List software (Windows!) suggestions please?
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »

I'm attempting to set up a webcam, aimed at a bird table near my shed, with motion detection so that it'll take a snapshot when a bird lands on it.  This much is almost working, got a few issues with false triggers, but I'm on to it.

What I thought might be fun would be to have it as a mailing list, so that interested people could subscribe and it'd email them a little picture every time there's a bird.  Also looking at making it tweet something similar onto twitter.

The webcam software can email 1 account, and/or save the images to a specified location, even FTP them.

So what I'm after is mailing list software that will send out emails to subscribers when fed with a picture, or triggered in some way.

Ideally it'd be automated, so that you can email a request to join, and a request to leave, and this would be dealt with without too much of my intervention.

Because my little web server/webcam server is running on a wheezy old laptop in the shed, running Windows XP, I'm tied to something that's going to run on that, really, and not be too resource hungry.

I've had a bit of a look around, but really not sure where to start with this side of things.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be suitable?

Ian

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Simple Mailing List software (Windows!) suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:19:28 PM »

Could you use the 'Forward To' option, so for arguments sake when the notification sends you a email your client automatically forwards it to the people on the email clients forward to list.

I do this from my Hotmail account when I receive a email which is then automatically sent to my Gmail account because that way I can pick it up using my MailWasher program that does not recognise Hotmail emails (or I have not configured it properly)

anything