Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Banded profiles  (Read 8914 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Banded profiles
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »

Naughty B*Cat.  :lol:

I'll be honest, BE, I've never seen any literature concerning why they're 'Locked down'. I've seen recent documentation though, stating the EU can replace the actual modem for their own kit with the caveat that if a fault should arise, OR would request that the original modem be connected for testing purposes.
This would mean all stats were visible, would it not ?? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious ?? Not having FTTC of my own, I don't get chance to 'fiddle around'.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »

LOL ..... plus, Interleaving does exist on FTTC, at least that's what my BT remote access tools tell me anyway  ;D.

So does my BT supplied modem, now its secrets have been unlocked.

Has anyone, anywhere, provided a valid and/or official reason as to why the BT supplied FTTC/VDSL2 modems were intentionally locked anyway?

Surely BT must be immensely proud of their fibre/copper technology & would really wish to celebrate the fact that end users can also see (factually) how brilliant their connections really are. ???

Probably to stop customers like us stating the obvious, e.g. the line can achieve more than the cap. Apparently all the ISP can see is what speed you're currently synced at, not what you can also achieve amazingly (so they only go by the estimated line speed given by the database).

I've sent an email to the CEO's address, I don't expect or require any further follow up though, just a consideration on their part into allocating time to handling important customer problems rather than a simple survey response from me and then repeating basically what I was told previously, plus the operator claiming there's no interleaving on FTTC.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

I actually like the BT supplied Huawei HG612 modem. It seems to do a very good job.
It's just a shame it isn't supplied already unlocked.
It even says it supports "Advanced Management via HTTP, TR-069" on its original packaging box.

Quote from: Black Sheep

I'll be honest, BE, I've never seen any literature concerning why they're 'Locked down'. I've seen recent documentation though, stating the EU can replace the actual modem for their own kit with the caveat that if a fault should arise, OR would request that the original modem be connected for testing purposes.

That's very interesting & kinda contradicts what ISPs are still saying.
Is that "official" documentation, available for public circulation?

For now the ECI modem, although unlockable, isn't as user-friendly in divulging BT's jucy secrets.

Other VDSL2 modems (often with a router combined) seem to be reasonably O.K., but are still (in the main) rather expensive.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »

Naughty B*Cat.  :lol:

Que?  ???

Pesky, maybe  :blush:  but naughty?  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »

With regard to BE 'enlightening us' (crossing 'bored' out). Pesky ?? Naughty ?? Both ??  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »

BE ......... have just found the actual communication, and the wording states that whilst the EU is able to replace the modem for their own equipment, it will not be supported by Openreach or the CP. My apologies for the wrong info, I should know better than to trust my crap memory by now !!! ;D 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

I actually like the BT supplied Huawei HG612 modem. It seems to do a very good job.
It's just a shame it isn't supplied already unlocked.
It even says it supports "Advanced Management via HTTP, TR-069" on its original packaging box.

Quote from: Black Sheep

That's very interesting & kinda contradicts what ISPs are still saying.
Is that "official" documentation, available for public circulation?

For now the ECI modem, although unlockable, isn't as user-friendly in divulging BT's jucy secrets.

Other VDSL2 modems (often with a router combined) seem to be reasonably O.K., but are still (in the main) rather expensive.

Agreed, much better now its a seperate modem, I can reboot my router as much as I please without affecting the dsl sync, meaning DLM etc. also doesnt get affected.  Also agree it would have been nice to come pre unlocked or at least able to view the stats without needing to flash a firmware (which of course reboots the device possibly affecting DLM).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »

or at least able to view the stats without needing to flash a firmware (which of course reboots the device possibly affecting DLM).

I would strongly advise anyone flashing new firmware onto a device, such as a modem or a modem/router, to disconnect such device from the xDSL service and all other items except the computer that is instigating the 'flash' (providing the firmware for upload), in the interests of stability.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything