Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834v3  (Read 8340 times)

mrvtec

• Just arrived
Netgear DG834v3
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:37:03 AM »

hey there was wondering if there are any guide for checking the MAX line speed the modem can get on the line and tweak snr margin

and its running the t7 chipset not broadcom

thanks
 :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Netgear DG834v3
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:20:18 AM »

Hi there,

You didn't say whether you're actually using ADSL now, but if you are you can get an estimate of what's possible by entering your connection figures at http://www2.farina1.com/ADSL/default.aspx . If not, you can enter your telephone number and postcode at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php to get a lot of useful information.

I'm afraid that there isn't a tweaking tool available for the DG834 as far as I know.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:43:16 AM »

Roseway's correct. You cannot adjust the target SNR margin on a DG834v3. You'd need a DG834GT for that, or something like a speedtouch or BT voyager 2100 other such modem that the DMT tool supports :)
Chris

mrvtec

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:34 AM »

hi there again

my Exchange has currently Mirgrated to ADSL2+ and profiles have been enbaled also here are my line stats, im still using dg834 v3 but when i use the ADSL2+ mode in the router the speed dosnt change same speed as g.dmt im also using 4.01.37 and what i wanted to ask is there a way i can check through telnet to see wat modulation its been connected as and maybe force it to use Adsl2+

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4870 kbps 165 kbps
Line Attenuation 45 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 7 db 37 db

thanks

Quinnbeast

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:32:39 AM »

Migrated to ADSL2+? I assume you mean that your exchange has either had the initial upgrade to 21CN by BT, or your ISP is now an LLU operator in your area. ADSL2 is a service provided over one of the above networks (and currently only available via LLU).

Which ISP are you with? Which of their packages are you using?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »

Hi adsl2+ differs from adsl1 by doubling the amount of frequency bins available for allocation.  (1.1 MHz to 2.2MHz). 
This means that if you are close enough to the exchange then you may well be able to take advantage of the higher speeds which are available at the higher frequencies.

It shouldnt be assumed that because the frequencies have been doubled, then adsl2+ will double your speed.. and limitations are very similar whether its adsl1 or adsl2+.  ADSL 2+ will make the higher frequencies available only if your line can physically support the higher speeds.
Your line length (as indicated by the attenuation of 45dB) is approaching the stage where adsl 2+ may not make that much difference.

Looking at your stats youve provided though - it looks like you may have a problem with your internal wiring.  Even on adsl1 I'd expect slightly higher speeds...  are you connected at the master socket?

Also the 165kbps upstream is very weird - yet you have plenty of spare upstream SRNM.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mrvtec

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:34:32 PM »

im using a plan which is MAX down and 128k up and im running a external splitter that splits the line outside my house to adsl which goes all the way to my router which is seprate from the phoneline

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:30:25 AM »

>> im using a plan which is MAX down and 128k up

Ahh..  thanks for that - for the benefit of others (such as Ezzer who is a BT adsl engineer) mrvtec isn't in the UK.
Hence why we were at first a bit confused about the profile.

Its several years since Ive used a Netgear dg834g v3 and I cant remember if there is anything in the interface which actually shows you the modulation used.

Someone whos actually using one now would be better able to comment..  but I should imagine the best way of checking is going into debug mode then using the command

cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats

This gives you quite a bit of info about your line that isnt available in the web interface, but TBH Im not sure if the modulation type is included in there or not... worth giving it a shot.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 11:21:59 PM »

A good old vanilla DG834 (v1) shows this: 
Code: [Select]
Hybrid Selected:        1       Trellis:                1
Regards,
Mick