Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: adsl noise issues and vdsl  (Read 10798 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: adsl noise issues and vdsl
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »

I think I understand what black sheep is saying the E side copper still used by voice service so still has potential to pick up noise, but without dsl power been sent down it and as such not using the adsl frequencies (until after new cabinet where copper is used to house).

Is a puzzle but main thing is I currrently dont seem to have noise issues at the moment, the original sync is still up and running and hopefully will hold over night and tommorow as well.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »

I wonder . . .

When you have been mentioning 'noise' in this thread are you referring to audible noise, as detected by your ear(s) when using the telephone? Or are you referring to unwanted, spurious disturbances to the xDSL signal?

???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »

the latter, I couldnt really hear the noise on the phone.

The engineer came back 10 mins ago this morning to check if everything is ok with his boss since I am the first customer on the cabinet, and apparently I was connected before fully ready :D

I asked them about the interference and according to them there is a known source in the city centre near the exchange of noise ingress and the copper cable that carries the voice is filtered at the cabinet now so any interference E side doesnt affect VDSL.  ADSL services still affected but not VDSL.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »

Gentlefolk,

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the supplier-side VDSL filtering is now done in the FTTC rather than in the exchange. That's what the cream coloured plug-in units are doing in front of the IDC connector blocks.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/110211821/Commissioning-Cabinet-20-s-FTTC-6065

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »

the latter, I couldnt really hear the noise on the phone.

The engineer came back 10 mins ago this morning to check if everything is ok with his boss since I am the first customer on the cabinet, and apparently I was connected before fully ready :D

I asked them about the interference and according to them there is a known source in the city centre near the exchange of noise ingress and the copper cable that carries the voice is filtered at the cabinet now so any interference E side doesnt affect VDSL.  ADSL services still affected but not VDSL.

Cross-purposes it would appear.

To make it clear, if there is a fault on the E-side cable, such as a HR causing a loud crackling noise on the phone, or a Battery/Earth contact, partial short circuit, blah-de-blah, this will still be introduced to the VDSL part of the circuit, causing disruption.
The interference you are talking about (REIN/RFI etc) would not be introduced to the VDSL part of the circuit, as it would be filtered out.

My apologies for assuming the interference was 'audible noise'.  :blush: :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »

yeah as far as I know HR etc. has all been tested fine.  I remain very happy with my new connection. :)

no apologies needed I listen to your wise input as you do after all work for BT.

Main thing is I hope my experience serves as hope for others with REIN/RFI etc.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »

Yeah, it's a good 'knowledge share' for peeps, Chrysalis.

I would like to add though (for others perhaps reading this), that REIN interference is for the very most part, found in or near to, the EU's premises, ie- on the D-side network. So, please be aware that by opting to move to VDSL from ADSL will not necessarily cure an existing REIN-type issue ?! In fact, it's highly unlikely.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the supplier-side VDSL filtering is now done in the FTTC rather than in the exchange. That's what the cream coloured plug-in units are doing in front of the IDC connector blocks.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/110211821/Commissioning-Cabinet-20-s-FTTC-6065

Specifically they are 'low pass, high block' filters, to use simple terminology.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »

My apologies for assuming the interference was 'audible noise'.  :blush: :)

b*cat had a suspicion that there was a misunderstanding earlier in this thread and is happy to have helped in clarifying the facts.  :angel:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »

yeah alot of people kept telling me my RFI/REIN must have been near me as was typically the case as you said black sheep, I was never convinced but since BT never wouldnt check away from my house it remained a unknown except when BT told me yesterday but thats the first time they have ever told me of noise near the exchange, this seems to have confirmed it must have been E side.  So I guess I am a rare case of it been E side.

My friend near the exchange still has the interference and he cant get FTTC as well due to been a line direct of the exchange.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything