Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Utilise one network cable to connect two devices  (Read 4708 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
Utilise one network cable to connect two devices
« on: October 10, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »

Although this is more general network related, Ive posted it in this section as its main purpose for me is to get the FTTC modem stats.

At 100mb speeds, am I right in thinking that only two of the pairs are used, leaving two more free? My current situation is that my FTTC modem is located at the master socket, but the router is located upstairs in a completely separate room - with only one Cat6 cable between the two. Running a second cable is out of the question until its time to decorate according to the missus.

So, as that cable is only utilising two pairs, could I connect both LAN1 and LAN2 ports on the HG612 by creating a custom adaptor, and sending both signals along my stretch of cat6 (then using an identical adaptor at the other end to split the, apart again to plug into the router)?

I see some cheap splitters on eBay, but these look as though they're wired in parallel, and state only one device can be used at once (although this implies it's used to connect two devices to one socket which I'm not after). I'm not sure if these can be modified to work as I need, or if it would be cheaper to buy two keystone jacks (one for each end of my run) and wire each upto two rj45 plugs (making sure the pairs I use from the plugs are the correct ones).

It's only intended as a temporary measure until I can run another cable, but in theory wil this work?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Utilise one network cable to connect two devices
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »

Yes.  :graduate:

Or just put a cheap LAN switch on the far end; much easier.  ;)

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »

Lack of space and power sockets unfortunately - which is why I have the current setup. And until the other half deems that the room needs redecorating, I'm not allowed to do anything  >:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »

You should put your foot down with a firm hand. ;D
  Eric

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »

You should put your foot down with a firm hand. ;D

Ever tried to argue with a woman when it comes to decorating  :lol:

It's most definitely NOT my place :P

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »

As I have a few jacks lying around, I'll try to make a few of my own adaptors first.

Just checking that from each LAN port, I need to use pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 (so the green and orange pairs)?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »

Pretty sure that's what pins I used on my home-made 4-core LAN cables, and looking at a commercial 4-core patch-lead I have to hand that is the same.
Here's one reference: http://pinouts.ru/Net/Ethernet10BaseT_pinout.shtml

anything