Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This may be a STUPID question, but..  (Read 15518 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: This may be a STUPID question, but..
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »

Not wishing to rain on anyones parade, but Windows Live Mail will happily import Outlook Express messages (folders etc.).  8)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »

It may well import etc, but it just does not have the same feel and texture as good old OE.

'IF' memory serves me correct, when I did try it and as I have several email addresses then trying to use windows live mail meant I had to create duplicate folders for each address which then started getting ridiculous.
The number of folders I already have in OE is already ridiculous enough but if I were to duplicate everything for each address then I would never get any where.

But obviously a good point and reminder for anyone who wants to go down that road.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »

There are actually several versions of Live Mail, with different "look and feel".
The "latest" version which you'll get by default on Windows 7 is a bit too different to OE for many tastes, but the more "traditional" XP version is closer in style.
I use outlook 2007 for my main email accounts but also use WLM, all on W7. I've chosen to use the older "XP" version which is dated 2009 and ignore offered updates.  ;)

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »

Personally i wouldn't use a client and instead rely on a secure password vault and an online account - as far as i can see if i leave all my emails on googles / microsofts mail servers and there is a problem with the e-mail - then it isn't hitting my computer, read your mail online and don't download attachments, unless you know what it is and you have been expecting it.

And in my opinion - Use fsmail or GMX
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 08:14:40 AM »

I must admit that the last place I trust any of my data is any kind of cloud storage. I like my data in my control and backed up under my local control. In years of using PCs (since the very first IBM PC) I have only ever had one virus problem on a Windows PC and that was an attachment I got from someone I thought I could trust!!! I have been using the Penguin now for quite a long time and feel that it is very unlikely to ever see a virus, on top of that my mail servers I get my mail from have a very good anti-virus and anti-spam system in place.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »

Additionally with web based email if you are hacked your entire contact list addresses/phones/emails etc becomes "available" to be spammed...or worse.
With an off line MSOutlook like mail client then your contact list is more secure.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »

From looking at the various settings dialogue boxes, I'd say that Windows Live Mail is just a makeover of OE - they seem very very similar inside.  You can configure the layout of the panes to resemble the classic OE view as well, with position of folder, preview and email list windows, if that helps?

Also, if you want to check you've got the latest version of Live Mail, go here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/essentials-home and click the blue button to download.

It'll offer to install a suite of Windows Live programs that you've not yet got on the PC, but you can untick the ones you don't want.  It'll also update existing programs within the suite that you've already got.

The download works for XP/Vista/7, but it'll select the appropriate version accordingly - you won't get such a recent version of Live Mail on XP as you do on Windows 7.  (Win 7 Live Mail recently had a bug fix update a week or two back)

When you run that program, you might want to untick the extra things it'll offer to download, if you don't want Photo viewer, family safety filter etc. 

Ian

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »

>>> OE is/was a nightmare in terms of keeping backups

Too late for you now but I used to use a really nice little prog called OE Backup that took care of everything very nicely.

Kitz,
First of all thanks for the link, that's something I have been wanting for a long time, because although normally I just drag over a copy over the relevant OE folder to save as a backup (as well as using on the odd occasional Import/Export setting) but that has never backed up my settings, so then I have always had to start again with creating rules etc, which was always a pain.

You say you used to use, in which case can I ask why you no longer use it, is it because it is not compatible with either your current email program or OS?

Finally,
Just in case it's not just me, but I did have a bit of a problem with the download which I tried about 3 times, then after the first part of the install where you need to BE CAREFUL and un-tick the add-on toolbar if you don't want it, the option was then to install later, which is what I then chose and this time it showed me where it had downloaded the actual program to, so I then ran the program from there and it then installed without any problems.
Like I say, it could have just been me (nothing unusual there says he).

So-far I have only played with it the once but it looks fairly good and I hope it remembers my previous settings of where to save etc, as that was the only bug-bear with it's default settings and it doesn't help with my system not being very standard because apart from the OS everything else runs off a NAS box which is set as being 'My Documents' but I want the backup file/s on the actual PC, I know if the HDD goes down I lose it, but that's something I'm aware and prepared to accept, not too mention the same files are networked onto 3 other PC's so I would not lose very much, probably only the actual settings.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »

Just a quick word of support for OE Backup. I have used it happily for about 18 months now on my XP system on which it works well.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »

You say you used to use, in which case can I ask why you no longer use it, is it because it is not compatible with either your current email program or OS?

Unfortunately its not compatible with my current email program.   
Im using Win7 so cant use Outlook Express.    I used OE Backup for many many though on my XP system with OE.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »

Thanks Kitz.

I find it a pretty good little program and can just set it to backup and forget about it, 'sort of'
The only thing I don't like is that it always overwrites the old backup instead of creating a new one with a consequential number, but hey, we can't always have everything we want, but as it was still in the trial mode I had set the backup for, well eventually weekly but will be changing it now for monthly, at least then if there is a problem I should notice it before the old backup is overwrite, although it will not be the only backup that I would have saved anyway.

I've not tried it on the Windows Mail yet.
Pages: 1 [2]