Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Upgrade BT Infinity from 40/10 to 80/20  (Read 10705 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Re: Upgrade BT Infinity from 40/10 to 80/20
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »

Kitz you make the point better than I.

I am not having a go at BT for the technology - or any other ISP for that matter. When I consider what I was getting just 8 months ago on ADSL the BT FTTC service is a fantastic improvement and I'm glad to receive it.

The beef I have is that BT needs to add to more caveats to their speed forecasts but I don't think they will for marketing reasons. I'm sure all of us on this forum well understand the technical network/management constraints but (in my case) achieving only 44% of an US speed estimate would not be acceptable if I were a new paying customer.  One could argue that DS is a lot more important than US but with the advent of cloud storage services etc, the US speeds are going to become increasingly more important in future.

Just to reiterate. I'm very happy with what I receive from BT but in my opinion they need to think a bit more about their speed estimator. I'm in business as a Chartered Accountant and if I only delivered 44% of my estimated tax service estimates then my clients would skin me alive. I know I can be a fast talker, but there are limits..........
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:23:21 PM by bbnovice »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »

Kitz you make the point better than I.

I am not having a go at BT for the technology - or any other ISP for that matter. When I consider what I was getting just 8 months ago on ADSL the BT FTTC service is a fantastic improvement and I'm glad to receive it.

The beef I have is that BT needs to add to more caveats to their speed forecasts but I don't think they will for marketing reasons. I'm sure all of us on this forum well understand the technical network/management constraints but (in my case) achieving only 44% of an US speed estimate would not be acceptable if I were a new paying customer.  One could argue that DS is a lot more important than US but with the advent of cloud storage services etc, the US speeds are going to become increasingly more important in future.

Just to reiterate. I'm very happy with what I receive from BT but in my opinion they need to think a bit more about their speed estimator. I'm in business as a Chartered Accountant and if I only delivered 44% of my estimated tax service estimates then my clients would skin me alive. I know I can be a fast talker, but there are limits..........

Ha ha  ...  ;D You also make a fair point. I have to say though, in my experience the 'Guesstimator' is usually nearer the mark than you have personally experienced. Hopefully, time may bring your service nearer to the quoted speeds ??  :fingers:

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »

Hi BS - something you may be able to advise me about ref the US speed.

I had a lot of trouble in the past with ADSL2 (Virgin was the ISP) which in the end was resolved by some trickery by Openreach in the network and a normalisation of my internal wiring. They installed a new NTE in the house, together with a faceplate on the NTE stamped "ADSL V10"

When I migrated to Infinity the OR engineer did not install a new VDSL specific faceplate, so I'm still using the old ADSL V10 plate. On the 40/10 FTTC service this did not seem to cause any issues. 

Is that something I need to revisit?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

Hi BS - something you may be able to advise me about ref the US speed.

I had a lot of trouble in the past with ADSL2 (Virgin was the ISP) which in the end was resolved by some trickery by Openreach in the network and a normalisation of my internal wiring. They installed a new NTE in the house, together with a faceplate on the NTE stamped "ADSL V10"

When I migrated to Infinity the OR engineer did not install a new VDSL specific faceplate, so I'm still using the old ADSL V10 plate. On the 40/10 FTTC service this did not seem to cause any issues. 

Is that something I need to revisit?

Lazy bar-steward !! I have no idea why some engineers don't install the VDSL intermediate plate, choosing to leave the ADSL frontplate (NTE2000) in-situ ?? It takes minutes to install, however as you are aware, either filter will work.   

Unfortunately, I haven't any evidence to say one way or the other, which is the better filter ?? What I can say, is that both items can and do go faulty, surprisingly quickly in some cases !! The NTE2000 is now a non-stocked item, with the VDSL IP being the filter of choice for both ADSL and VDSL services.

As an aside, there has been a trial over parts of the country around FTTC sef-install, whereby the EU uses the original micro-filter to plug there Huawei/ECI modem into. I dont have any further info regarding the outcome (speeds etc), but the trial has come to an end, and we are being tasked with fitting the proper VDSL IP at these trial sites.
Just my guess, but it seems on the face of it that 'self-install' via the dongle filters doesn't give the EU as agood an experience as having an engineering visit ??

I only mention this as it would appear having the correct filter/set up pays dividends, so maybe the VDSL IP does have a slight advantage over the NTE2000 ??

Maybe B*Cat or ASBO or one of the other 'Reverse engineering' experts, can shed some light on it ??  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 02:18:38 AM »

Huh?  ???  Was my name mentioned?

I own both an NTE2000 (currently fitted and in use) and a VDSL IP. The former was manufactured by Pressac whilst the latter is an LPT Technology product. Electronically they are identical. The only difference is in the physical presentation.

The VDSL IP, being an interstitial plate, has been designed with EU self-install in mind. That slot in the lower surface is not to allow spiders, earwigs and woodlice easy access to the insides nor to allow canis familiaris fluid to dampen the electronics but to enable the most numpty of EUs to self-install the device. Consider what needs to be done to fit an NTE2000 where there is telephony extension wiring in existence. Now compare it to the ease of fitting an interstitial plate device. The electronic differences between either of the SSFPs and a dangly microfilter is minimal, assuming a satisfactory construction of the latter. They are but different presentations of a low-pass filter.  ;)

I suspect the reason why Openreach Technician installations are still the preferred route is due to the poor standard of EU wiring and lack of understanding.

Personally, I am waiting for EU self-installation to become the norm before I consider a FTTC VDSL2 service.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »

Thanks for the explanation bkat. I will now rest easy!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »

I will now rest easy!

Purrfect!  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »

@ Kitz,

But there are Pussies and Eagles here who can assist in unlocking the modem, or more safely, substituting an unlocked modem perhaps e.g. obtained from EBay.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]