Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fedora 8  (Read 5349 times)

jazz

• Reg Member
Fedora 8
« on: November 30, 2007, 03:08:54 PM »

Sorry that this question is based on my complete ignorance but I need to start somewhere!  I have always used Windows but quite fancy trying Linux to see what it is like.  I have been given two copies of a Fedora 8 Live CD.  The first copy includes Gnome Desktop and the second includes KDE Desktop.

How do I make use of these?  I do not want to do anything to "upset" the setup of my computer while I try Linux and certainly do not have the technical know how to put it all right if I do mess it up!!

I was under the impression that if I used  a live CD I could load it in the CD reader on startup and the system would go there first and set up as if Linux so that I could see what it was like.  I thought that anything from the live CD would only exist on the CD or in RAM and that when I turned the computer off it would all go back as it was in  Windows next time I started it up.  However, I cannot open the CD drive until the computer is switched on - and as soon as it is switched on it starts up Windows before I can do anything else.  I am obviously doing it all wrong - maybe "someone up there" -  :angel: - is trying to protect me from my own folly and warning me not to mess things up.

Any advice for the technically challenged?? :-[

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Fedora 8
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:20:22 PM »

Have you changed the boot options in the bios so it looks for an OS on the cd drive first?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »

Hi, just set the computer BIOS to boot from the CD drive as your first bootable device.
With the Linux Live CD now placed in the CD/DVD drive, restart the computer and Linux will run from the CD. It will not be quick as the installed version as everything will be run from the CD via memory but it will give you some idea of what it is like.

The computer BIOS screens are normally accessed by pressing the Delete (or whatever is shown) key when prompted at the start of the POST display.
Post back if you get stuck.

exo

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 03:33:04 PM »

I was going to say much the same but others got there first. Have fun, and feel free to ask questions. :)
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:45:08 AM »

Thanks a lot folks - I'll give it a go! 8)

anything