Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL2 with rain  (Read 5320 times)

facsi

VDSL2 with rain
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:21:44 AM »

Is it normal (common) to connections drop when start raining on a vdsl2 connection?

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: VDSL2 with rain
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:28:12 AM »

Is it normal (common) to connections drop when start raining on a vdsl2 connection?

Mine doesn't drop, even under the heaviest rain spells, so I presume if yours does then it's a fault. Wait for other replies though.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:46:05 AM »

Absolutely not.  :no: 

That is a definite fault condition and one that will be rather difficult to locate.  :-X  I'm sure that Black Sheep would enjoy the challenge -- if only he was allowed the time to do so and then if you are located in his normal working area of Lancashire & Cumbria.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

facsi

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Black sheep cannot help physically as im far, far away in brazil :p. My cables are all new. Maybe normal for my line conditions? Im at 2297ft from the dslam.
Edit;
Could be also, bad modem or bad port on dslam. A neighbor more away for dslam reports that his line wont drop.
Fixed ft distance
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:43:12 AM by facsi »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Black sheep cannot help physically as im far, far away in brazil :p.

Perhaps Brazil could be his next holiday destination?  ;)

My cables are all new. Maybe normal for my line conditions? Im at 213ft from the dslam.
Edit;
Could be also, bad modem or bad port on dslam. A neighbor more away for dslam reports that his line wont drop.

If all of your wiring is new and all the joints have been checked, then how can we possibly correlate the dropping of a VDSL2 connection with rainfall? The only suggestion that I can make is that perhaps the problem is temperature related . . . A drop in temperature when rain falls?  ???

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »

im far, far away in brazil :p.
What on earth are you doing there?  Come back at once!

I wasn't even aware that it rained in Brazil, but as B*cat has already said, the fact that the connection drops when it rains is evidence of a fault. Probably caused by a short at a splicing point.     What is the ISP?

cheers, a

facsi

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »

Sorry, I wrote the incorrect distance. I fixed it. It's 2297 ft.
I think it is a rain problem because the connection only drops when start raining.
After reconnection and if its still raining, the connection rarely drops again. I live near beach. But all cabling is new - even on streets (1yr old). The temperatures here are always in between 21-32ºC (70-90ºF).

The ISP is GVT

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »

Do you see any water from or near where the twisted pair of wires enter into your to House ?
also when it starts to rain you will find the humidity rises sharply which could form condensation.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:04:20 PM by NewtronStar »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »

My thoughts would be a bit of corrosion. New plant so I assume its an underground feed. One of my prime things to look for would be the condition of the ug cable comming up the side of the house. In case one of the wires has had a small cut on where the black insulation had cut to strip back.

But bearing in mind such a fault could lie anywhere. Although that would have been my first suspision before arriving on site its by no means the overwhelming possibility.

I've seen sites where the hole drilled for the lead in slopes downwards toward the back of the nte and with no sealant. You arrive to openthings up to find some green corrosion which as soon as it becomes damp causes all sorts. This can also happen anywhere in the internal wiring. Pets urine and toddlers are a good source of this. Just the increase in indoor humidity would be enough sometimes. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 12:13:32 AM »

Perhaps you would like to take a day trip down to Brazil to check things out for the OP, Ezzer?

After all, you are a lot closer than any of us here in the UK!  :P

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »

The wife is already picking places to retire ie costa rica.

Does anyone remember a film called Hot Millions. Starring Peter Ustinov. The scene Where the American exec's are found to be bringing instant coffee to Rio. And the humliation under the customs officals, one played so well by Cesar Romero.  :lol: One of my favorite movie scenes

facsi

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:46 AM »

no cabling is underground. Since the problem is not common, im asking the isp to try another modem first. If nothing changes, ill ask for a copper pair/vdsl port change.