Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lan Direct to HG612  (Read 15956 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Lan Direct to HG612
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

For a BT Infinity service, the user credentials required to login in to the service are those as stored in the BT HH --

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password XXXXXXXX

There's the standard residential login details above ^, unless you're a BT Business account, like myself.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »

The strings stored in the HH3 will it be the same User Name & Password I used to disable BT Fone on the HH3.0A ?

In all honesty, I don't know.  ???  Probably not.  :-\  Please see my earlier posting and Ixel's response to it, above.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »

It says password not configured on the HH3.0 ?

I am such a Newbie  :baby:

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 02:38:17 AM »

It says password not configured on the HH3.0 ?

I am such a Newbie  :baby:

The residential password can be anything really, a space character, a word, a letter. So long as the username is right and there's something in the password field then it should work.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »

Just a quick comment. Ensure that you are not confusing the password required to gain access to the BT HH3.0A via its 192.168.1.254 IP address (which, by default, is on the pull-out tab) and the password that may -- or may not -- be set for the Broadband service authentication.

I have checked with my neighbour, who has a BT Infinity Broadband service and the credentials stored in his BT HH3.0A are exactly as I showed earlier. He has never needed to change them in the HH, the default settings just worked.

When I visited with my laptop computer and connected it directly to the LAN1 port of his Hauwei HG612, I just needed to configure my laptop to establish a PPPoE connection with a username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and a password of XXXXXXXX.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »

Thanks

the username for BT as standard I understand but surly you need a password given to you from BT by some form IE a letter from BT with you password

I don't get it yes the HH has the standard username but the residential password can be anything as Ixel has posted (I just type Random characters into password and it will work  ;) so how does the HH3 authenticate if the password be anything seems odd

My old TT ISP gave me a Username and a Password via a letter that I could type into the Modem settings !

No BC I am 100% sure I am not confusinging the routers Gateway Username & password as to access to the Internet using a ISP username & Password :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:00:21 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »

No BC I am 100% sure I am not confusinging the routers Gateway Username & password as to access to the Internet using a ISP username & Password :)

Good.  :)  I just wanted to make sure.

I can see what you are asking but I'm not too sure how to answer your query. Let me try something like this --

You rent the metallic path that exists from the NTP (the NTE5/A, in most cases) to the DSLAM (in the FTTC) from Openreach. That pair is exclusive to you. Unless someone goes down a hole or up a pole and undoes a joint and connects their equipment to your line, the only person using that VDSL2 link is yourself. So why does there need to be a login/password duality to authenticate the user of the service using that metallic pair?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »

Exactly. The only reason they have unique logins (business users as opposed to residential users) is because of things such as elevated traffic priority (if such a thing really exists, or whether it's just market type tactics). Only those who have been physically connected to the DSLAM with their assigned port enabled can use the service anyway. I suspect BT would scrap the need to login if it wasn't for the fact of business users being given a unique login.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 12:58:29 AM »

My old TT ISP gave me a Username and a Password via a letter that I could type into the Modem settings !

Ironically, those with a proper (unbundled) TalkTalk LLU account, can enter "N E FINK" for both the PAP/CHAP username and password  (remember the spaces though).   Half joking there! TalkTalk LLU does genuinely work without end-user authentication. Both PAP/CHAP authentication at the PPP layer is disabled as is authentication by DHCP.

TalkTalk, since it owns and manages its own DSLAMs, must keep subscriber line records. These records will reference the subscriber pair that terminate on each port of a linecard. Therefore authentication is in hardware.   So no username/password needs to be entered when configuring a modem for TalkTalk LLU.  It also means that modems "locked" to BT will still work with TalkTalk LLU ;)  Oops!  Not sure if that is by TalkTalk's design or not!

It is confusing, NewtronStar.  Since BT(infinity) does not, for FTTC, require authentication at the PPP layer, it raises a question: 

How do other FTTC providers who use the same Openreach mini-DSLAMs authenticate their users?   Dunno about the ECI MSAN but with the Huawei (MA5616) MSAN, authentication can be performed in two ways.  Either by the MSAN itself, or by a remote authentication server, run by the ISP.

cheers, a

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 03:36:41 AM »

. . . "N E FINK" . . .

Well, I've just learnt something new. I thought the correct spelling was "N E PHINC"!  :angel:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

Thanks all BC ,Ixel & asbokid

Fanstastic Info & insight into the workings of authentication !

I am gonna try the put all this info to could use  ;) and connect directly to HG612
the last time I did this I made changes to HG612 settings and had to reset the modem
:-[ cause I did not write down the original settings first, which then caused a lower sync
(Never re-sync Hg612 after 5pm)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 12:25:12 PM »

No problem :). I'll be getting a Fritzbox 7390 tomorrow :P, can't wait to try it out and see if I can increase my SNRM target to reduce CRC errors. Annoyingly my SNR this morning (about 8:45am and then again at around 9:15am) has had a sudden dive again (from 6.4dB~ to around 4dB, and upload from 9.5dB to 6.1dB :(). I expect an engineer has disturbed my line in the PCP again.

One thing I like about TBB and this forum, everyone is friendly :thumbs:. I just had a bad encounter with a member on the BT Infinity forum recently, won't be going there again. Mind you, his (no name given) replies to any thread I've opened have never been helpful, including to others. I think he just enjoys upsetting people or creating unnecessary arguments :P.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:48:04 PM by Ixel »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

Ixel  ;)  I completely agree with you in regards to BT Forums they are more sarcastic than helpfull.
Thats why I come here for Help  8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »

Just purrfect:friends:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »

Just purrfect:friends:

BC how can I stop my cats from bringing me live birds into the House in the wee small hours  >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3