Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL faceplate  (Read 3393 times)

Moomraker

• Just arrived
ADSL faceplate
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »

Hi all,

I currently have a 1.5 meg connection through Orange and i have a BT phone line. I am about 3k from our nearest exchange and no virgin available in our area (I just read this back and that made me chuckle so I will leave it in!). We are fans of Netflix and bbc iplayer in our household but get very poor performance with these so I am looking for ways of boosting our broadband connection.

I have seen an ADSL faceplate filter on amazon that seems to do a good job but it seems that my modem would need to be connected to the master socket in our house which isn't feasible for my current set up. We have 11 sockets in our house (4 in use) and I would have to use one of the top floor sockets for my modem.. Could I simply just fit one faceplate at the master socket and one at the modem socket or doesn't it work that way? What are my other options?

Thanks in advance for any advice..

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL faceplate
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:42:01 AM »

We have 11 sockets in our house (4 in use) and I would have to use one of the top floor sockets for my modem.. Could I simply just fit one faceplate at the master socket and one at the modem socket or doesn't it work that way? What are my other options?

An ADSL faceplate filter, a SSFP (service specific faceplate) or a VDSL faceplate filter, when fitted in the normal, simplest mode will interpose a low-pass filter between the incoming pair (carrying both telephony and xDSL signals) and all telephone sockets. As such, there will only be an xDSL signal available at the dedicated socket on the filter itself.

It is possible to install such a filter at the NTE5/A (the master socket) and then wire it up (either by installing a separate new cable or using a spare pair, if available, within the existing cable) to send the xDSL signal to one particular socket at which the modem will be connected.

The very first thing you can immediately do, to try to maximise your current situation, is to start at the lower front faceplate of the NTE5/A and ensure that there are only two wires connected -- to IDC2 & IDC5 -- then systematically do likewise for each extension socket. By performing that simple task, you are essentially removing the bell-wire.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:44:09 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »

In an ideal world, you'd fit one of those filtered faceplates on your master socket, and plug the modem in there.  The faceplate provides an ADSL socket, and the ability to filter the ADSL signal out for every other phone socket. That way, the ADSL signal isn't going all around the house and picking up noise.

From what you've said, that isn't possible as you want/need the modem upstairs.

That said, as  Burakkucat says, make sure the ring wire is disconnected at each socket, that can make a distinct improvement.

I'd also temporarily try removing the lower front panel from your master socket, and plugging the modem in there.  Note the stats from the modem (synch speed, attenuation, S/N margin etc) in it's current setup, and when temporarily plugged into the master socket with everything else disconnected.

That way, you'll get an idea of the magnitude of improvement from replacing the front plate and possibly doing a bit of rewiring.

It may be that the improvement is huge, and thus should spur you on to do the work  :D  Or it may be such a slight improvement that you decide it's not worth the hassle.

(I'm assuming here that your master socket resembles one of these http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

in which case, follow the instructions on the top of that page to see what potential improvements might be made)

Ian

Jonnyteg

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »

As stated if you have extensions etc bell wire setup fitting a ssfp will resolve but dont assume this as the nte5 may not be your 'main' point so by fitting the ssfp which replaced the nte 2000 will do nothing.   

People assume the nte5 is the main socket which it should be but the wiring has to be setup for this.

When you have corrected your issue check your snr value as it may require reset.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »

We have 11 sockets in our house (4 in use)
I can almost GUARANTEE that will be wired in a way that is fine for telephones but totally hopeless for broadband.  :o

Please describe (start with a summary, we can ask for more details) of how it is all "tied together"; starting with the entry of the external phone cable (commonly called a "drop wire").

and I would have to use one of the top floor sockets for my modem..
That is an assumption that is almost certainly incorrect. There are myriad ways around it.
But get the wiring sorted out first.  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »

I'll also put £100 on it that HP's 'guarantee' is correct.  :)

anything