Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC - Do electrical thunderstorm affect FTTC connections?  (Read 5270 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
FTTC - Do electrical thunderstorm affect FTTC connections?
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »

No prizes for a correct answer, but can anyone detect when a severe electrical storm started brewing today, when it peaked & when it finsihed & the sun came out again?

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC - Do electrical thunderstorm affect FTTC connections?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »

I had a similar occurance a while back. Graphs and VDSL2 (FTTC) are great at finding thunderstorm activity.

P.S. Your RSCorr seems to display a more reasonable value, mine seems to spike up into the millions and sometimes goes beyond the maximum possible number for the graph to show. Can't wait to use your newer style graphs one day if you release them :P.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »

P.S. Your RSCorr seems to display a more reasonable value, mine seems to spike up into the millions and sometimes goes beyond the maximum possible number for the graph to show. Can't wait to use your newer style graphs one day if you release them :P.

RSCorr (& all other errors) aren't usually too bad since my connection was finally repaired at the end of May.

It was much worse at one time (see attached example).

I am currently trialling a different method of harvesting the stats.
If that all works out O.K. I will be shortly releasing an interim version that will be compatible with my updated graphing batch file scripts & previous modem_stats.logs

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »

My RSCorr looks similar to your one (the example of it being bad), yet I notice no connection problems. For me, I can only assume it's false data being output by the modem? Unless of course this bears relation to the fact that DLM seems to be keeping me on interleaving depth range of 1100 to 1900 DS.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »

I think the interleaving depth is the clue.

Mine was at around 1600 - 1700 when things were at their worst.

It now usually hovers around 430 to 500 maximum.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »

I see. Well, to save from 'hijacking' this thread further (at least I feel I have anyway lol) I might open a new thread shortly and post my line stats over the past 24 hours, past week and past month. Trouble is I can't see how I can report this to BT as I'm not meant to even have access to this data, so unless a problem occurs I may have to live with this. At the moment the interleaving depth is somewhere around 1100 (without checking for the exact figure and just studying the graph).

Darren

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »

Haha snap, it wasn't the worst storm either, no lightening just lots of rain and a bit of thunder. It was only over head for about 15-20mins and headed of in the direction of the exchange, E-Side is 3687 M. You wouldn't guess that from the errors though, I guess a short E-Side is desirable aswell as a short D-Side.

Jonnyteg

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »

Very interesting data and a bit of unknown territory my guess would be a increase of natural ac voltage induced into d side copper.  one case proves little without repeated data from a thunderstorm.  This may not be fixable i will test this with my own connection when the thunder arrives.

Thanks as i was unaware of this before.  ;) 

Darren

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

my guess would be a increase of natural ac voltage induced into d side copper...This may not be fixable i will test this with my own connection when the thunder arrives.
Interesting, I'd be currious to know how you would fix this..

I used to love a good thunderstorm, now I'm not so keen ;)

Jonnyteg

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »

my guess would be a increase of natural ac voltage induced into d side copper...This may not be fixable i will test this with my own connection when the thunder arrives.
Interesting, I'd be currious to know how you would fix this..

I used to love a good thunderstorm, now I'm not so keen ;)

I doubt it would be fixable 100% as a possible adaptation of a RF3 would reduce the effect as its not exactly REIN and is out of openreach's control.

Darren

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »

I see, thanks. Had to google RF3 never heard of it before  :-[ Maybe I'll get one and give it a go too.  :graduate:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »

Darren -- You might like to look here and the link therein.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »

I used to love a good thunderstorm
I still do and was in the middle of a massive one on Saturday night (not in UK).  >:D

It boiled away over most of mainland Greece all last weekend and we had at peak about 2 hours of whole-sky fireworks with non-stop lightning in all directions and thunder to match. Rain only in short (extremely heavy) bursts so you could stand outside and watch it all most of the time.

The relevant point is that on several occasions a cloud-to-cloud bolt nearby was instantly detectable on my skin with a huge change in static electricity; what it was doing to broadband I've no idea but the mains power was up and down like the proverbials.

Darren

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »

burakkucat, many thanks I will give that a read.

HPsauce, that sounds really exciting, wouldn't love to experience a big storm like that. Possible somewhere away from my line.

anything