Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is take-up lower than hoped?  (Read 13584 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Is take-up lower than hoped?
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »

Fibre cabs around my way have been active for a while now. This week I noticed that they now bear ads for Infinity.
I wonder if the take-up has been less than hoped.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Is take-up lower than hoped?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »

Depends if your local exchange is LLU'd some people my be happy with ADSL2 as for me I had no choice but to go Infinity as old my exchange is 100% BT wholesale and never was going to be LLU'd, So from 6Mbps to 27Mbps is a big Jump for me.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »

Well if fibre ever comes here currently I would not be buying it.
I get around 11.5Mbps on BT's ADSL2+ wholesale service via Plusnet.
Quite why I, as sole occupant, would want any more currently escapes me.
Most websites apart from the speedtester ones and the MS updates servers seem incapable of supplying data at 11.5Mbps anyway....so what I would do do with 80Mbps I really don't know (100 yards from PCP cabinet)

Plusnet charge the same for ADSLmax and ADSL2+, but have a steep monthly premium for an unthrottled (pro addon) fibre service over their standard ADSL rates.
So I'd not be interested even if it was available.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »

You may not need the Speed yet C6em , but the way people are using the net that 11Mbps you have in 2 years time it will be like dialup days it's just they way it going, I guess the Guy who invented the Internet never would have forseen a download rate of 1Mbps never mind 100Mbps
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:31:18 PM by NewtronStar »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »

These are our options for LLU
AOL LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
Tiscali LLU

But how many are only BTw resellers, or one would want as the ISP?

As to my patch, I would guess it is folk with kids and a mortgage, and pensioners in the main, so  likely their funds are spoken for. Would the older group really want the speed?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »

I dont know if I'd take up FTTC.   Id probably want it because I like geeky things...  but it would depend on whether I value the additional speed and the cost would be worth it.  I currently already get about 20Mbps down and 2.6 up which more than meets my needs for what I do.
Now that theres only me... (and not the probability of 2 PCs & 2 lappies simultaneously accessing the interwebs like there used to be), then 20Mbps does me fine.

A huge amount of my bandwidth is from streaming to the ATV, since Im on an unlimited package I just dont bother about it, and have no way of monitoring how much the ATV eats...  but I bet its a lot though, as I seldom watch TV in real time preferring to stream when I want.  My streaming habit and monthly bandwidth would probably be more of a concern that throughput speed.

It also depends which cab Im connected to (could be 1 of 2) or even the exchange itself (no idea - did anyone get a list for all exchanges and not just the Dec CSV?), I can look out of the window and see the exchange..  and the nearest cab is a bit further away... Im unsure just how much speed improvement I really would get.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »

Well Kitz all I can offer is a link to BT wholesale input your telephone number and read what is available to you this will tell you ADSL details and if Fibre is available to you with a estimated max speed.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »

Thanks Newtron, but unfortunately it doesnt even tell me date or any more than this :( 
Despite me knowing  its scheduled as 9b (either Dec '12 or 2013 depending on which source you read) :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »

How where you able to get a WebSite to tell you when the Fibre is going to go live and with details of the type of as I have found out That BT and Most ISP are not able to give reliable dates when fibre is live or not ?

Ok its who you know not what you know  ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:38:14 PM by NewtronStar »

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »

NewtronStar makes the very valid point that one might not want/need it now but in a few years................

Trouble is, it becomes a race for ever more complex web pages.
When we all on dial up pages were simple.
Now that speeds have improved in general - the web designers merely add in more complexity and we are back where started from in terms of page speed.
I'll find that once fibre becomes generally available 100% in the UK and the pages have become yet even more complex, then I'll have to get it anyway as my connection will have become so slow that trying to load a 10Mb whatever or worse web page in will have become impossible.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »

Thats it C6em in my early days Bulletin Boards it was Text only 1986 - 1992 at 2kbps took a minute or so to load a page but it worked and downloading 64K took 32 minutes  ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:56:25 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »

>> Ok its who you know not what you know

The info is in the public domain from BT Openreach - they released the info as being in the next batch to go to FTTC.  Same list is up on other ISP sites such as zen.
Its just not up on that BTw checker yet and they probably wont do until they have a definite date, rather than the more vague "Dec 2012 or 2013" :(
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 01:12:03 AM »

Wish I had seen this site Months ago cheers Kitz

This site also gives BT Maintenance possible outages times & dates
http://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/

Good stuff.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »

Fibre cabs around my way have been active for a while now. This week I noticed that they now bear ads for Infinity.
I wonder if the take-up has been less than hoped.

Just a quıck response, as sat ın 40 degree temps., sıppıng a cold beer as I type. ;) I haven,t got the fıgures to hand, but our ınternal communıcatıon systems (of whıch we get way tooooo many), stıpulated a few months ago that take-up of Infınıty/2 was a lot better than expected and that they had reached 'x' mıllıon connectıons ahead of predıctıons.

What I fınd as I go round fıttıng FTTC, ıs that the EU wıll only have found out about ıts avaılabılıty from a neıghbour/frıend. Whether the powers that be have been made aware of thıs and decıded to 'up' the advertısıng campaıgn, I can only guess. What I can tell you wıth no uncertaınty, ıs our CEO (Lıv) ıs pushıng FFTC/FTTP as 'our' flagshıp product and thıs ıs where most of the companıes efforts are beıng streamed (pardon the pun).

As a few have mooted, and as I have saıd on numerous occasıons, ıt really comes down to personal benefıt as to whether Infınıty ıs for you or not. I can tell you ın rural areas the take up ıs faırly rapıd for obvıous reasons. Urban spots near to the Exchange are somewhat slower.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »

I can anecdotally say that, where I live, following all the activity installing the Fibre cabinets (which still continues) I also see plenty of Openreach vans and engineers sitting on stools in front of the fibre cabs, I assume adding another customer.  The cab will be closed up again later on, but within a few days, I'll see another engineer working there, so I assume it's adding customers and not simply installing/commissioning the cab.

Plenty of activity = plenty of customers, I assume!

Ian

Pages: [1] 2 3

anything