Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: FTTC Attenuation  (Read 30982 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC Attenuation
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 06:54:22 AM »

Thanks I have been able to get the graph in sync again, I go to scripts then Graphpd and select 14 d again, it then adds a new folder in ongoing_stats

I am happy with the results but as you say I am not getting a true picture of my stats because I turn off PC (150 watts) * 24/7 no thank you thats 6 energy saving light bulbs left on all week.

But I can see already with RsUncorr & Hec errors as we had thunder storms from 6.30pm to-day untill 9pm

Just for fun & as an experiment, why don't you try graphing the data that you actually have rather than data that you don't have yet?

i.e. Try graphing 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 6 hours, 12 hours, 18 hours etc. & then post some of those for us to have a look at.
It might just give a better/truer understanding of the timing an nature of any of "events".

You clearly don't have 14 days of data yet.

Yes, each time graphs are plotted a new folder will be created (as long as a gap of at least 1 minute is allowed between each time you run graphpd.BAT)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »

Who wrote the Scripts and Apps for the HG612 logger, I am sure donations would be much appreciated by the programmer as this is worth a £10 or so.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »

I did as asked and have a Graph still there are two spikes in FEC errors and uncorrectable errors due to two T Storms one at 18.30 yesterday and to-day at 17.30 but looking at attainable Download rate there is a pattern evolving seems to be at 22:00 .

I am starting to wonder if that attainable Rate is due to me turning on my Dimmer switch as the HG612 is 3 feet from it and at 22:00 it starts to get dark in this room, I am only guessing.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:19:34 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »

. . . due to me turning on my Dimmer switch as the HG612 is 3 feet from it and at 22:00 it starts to get dark in this room, I am only guessing.

Ah, now that is significant. Dimmer switches can be pure evil to xDSL signals, as they tend to "splatter" noise across the RF spectrum. I would go as far to say that they are the work of the devil and anyone who has one fitted should be prepared to accept xDSL issues as a result!

The next steps in your diagnosis will be: (1) set up some alternative mode of room lighting (2) try turning the lights on full, don't attempt to dim them. A couple of days trying out each of the above may yield interesting results.

Just between the two of us . . . Those graphing scripts are the result of some excellent work by a certain bird-of-prey, who has no feathers "up top".  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »

Is the programmer that has no feathers on top accept paypal donation or should I just donate to kitz !

Cheers Burakkucat I used My Yupiteru 7300EU radio scanner and notice alot of interference when I used the dimmer light switch (REIN) at 612khz what a mess.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:38:25 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »

Donate to bald eagle..  all the HG612 stuff is his hard work and nothing to do with me....

... although I think a couple of other forum members from here such as a certain black cat and asbo did have some input too?

----

edited edit.

Yep, just seen BE's latest post...  B*cat and asbokid did have their mitts in there too :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:42:52 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »

One other thing to be mindful of is that whenever the scripts recommence logging e.g. when the PC is switched back on again, they "catch" up with the modem's stats that are clocking up all the time the modem is switched on, regardless of the PC and or router being switched on or off.

This can sometimes appear as a sudden burst of errors that wouldn't show as a burst if the scripts had been logging throughout.

One way to deal with that would be to delete the offending "catching up" row in modem_stats.log each time the scripts recommence their data logging.

The other alternative would be to leave the scripts logging 24/7 so that any changes will be shown more gradually as the data is that way updated every minute.

I'm not a great fan of dimmer switches either.
Even when switched on full, a humming/buzzing sound can quite often be heard that probably causes some interference on xDSL signals, especially at the higher/weaker frequencies involved in VDSL2 provision.

Just between the two of us... If a certain black feline (who doesn't even have a VDSL2 connection of his own to play with) hadn't stuck his paw in many months ago, these Windows scripts wouldn't even exist at all, especially if that kid with an asbo against his name hadn't found the unlocking key for us in the first place.

EDIT:

Make the donation toward your electricity bill, so that you could run the scripts 24/7 for a full week (8 days would be better)
  ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:45:25 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:53 PM »

LOL ok 150 watts * 24 hrs = 3.6 kilowatts * 7 (7 days) = 25.2 kilowatts =£3.90 at 0.156p per unit
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:54:42 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 12:42:18 AM »

I used My Yupiteru 7300EU radio scanner and notice alot of interference when I used the dimmer light switch (REIN) at 612khz what a mess.

I use an ICOM IC-R5:)  Have you tried listening around 300 - 306 kHz? The LCD screen of my laptop and the laptop's PSU are both rather noisy.  :(

If a certain black feline (who doesn't even have a VDSL2 connection of his own to play with) hadn't stuck his paw in many months ago, <snip>

All member of the species Felis Domesticus are born inquisitive -- it is a fact of nature.

LOL ok 150 watts * 24 hrs = 3.6 kilowatts * 7 (7 days) = 25.2 kilowatts =£3.90 at 0.156p per unit
. . . leaving you with enough left over for some "throat embrocation".  ;)   :drink:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 01:05:21 AM »

Boy I am having problems with accessing the Internet seems to be better had to reset HH3 and HG612 but I think is was a BT DNS problem had this in the morning as well.

The Yupiteru picks up the LCD wide screen moniter as loud and clear but its range is around a foot

I have Three Felis Domesticus which is a big chunk out of are weekly grocery bill  :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:21:56 AM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »

Boy I am having problems with accessing the Internet seems to be better had to reset HH3 and HG612 but I think is was a BT DNS problem had this in the morning as well.

Ah,

I wonder if that could also explain some strange results from another connection (BT Infinity) that is being monitored 24/7.

SNRM etc. looks good, but RSCorr errors suddenly shot through the roof last night & continued this morning:-

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »

It seems ok to-day but last night just after 00:31 all IE pages stopped working but all dsl lights were on I should not have bothered turning off router and modem because it made no difference only now I have lost 1 meg sync.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »

Those 7 million errors from when you recommenced logging & the scripts played catch up with the modem's stats at around noon today are masking any of the "normal" error counts.

Perhaps you could delete the "offending" row from your modem_stats.log to make it look sensible & useful again.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »

ok Bald_eagle1 will look through the modem.stats.log and see if I can find the line with a million errors it will take me while as I am still very new to this logger  :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »

29/06/2012 00:30
29/06/2012 00:31
29/06/2012 00:32
29/06/2012 00:33

29/06/2012 12:00
29/06/2012 12:01
29/06/2012 12:02
29/06/2012 12:03

It should look a bit like the above, where the time suddenly changes by a few hours or so.

The first row of the times starting to clock up every minute again should be the one to delete.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

anything