Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Really Low IP Profile  (Read 9772 times)

ben1066

Really Low IP Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »

Hey,
My internet has gradually been getting worse for a while now and my modem keeps losing sync. BT checker says I should be getting 55/15 however Im getting about 24/5 and my IP profile is 24/20. I'm attaching the data from my eDMT utility.

EDIT:
Just looking at my old posts where I was developing eDMT, it seems my downstream transmit power has dropped massively, http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10635.msg215142.html#msg215142
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:16:29 PM by ben1066 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Really Low IP Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

If memory serves, I believe you have experienced "issues" on your connection right from the off, haven't you?

What looks strange (apart from eDMT reporting downstream data in band D0, D1, D2 rather than more familiar D1, D2, D3) is that despite the low sync & atainable speeds, you do still seem to be achieving SOME bit-loading in the highest frequency band.

The higher DS band is usually discoverd, but completely unused on such low sync speed connections.

Do you perhaps have a HG612 to try on your connection, to obtain an alternative data set & compare stats with your ECI modem?

Do you have any records of ongoing changes, error counts, noise levels etc?

Your SNR graph, although plotted more horizontally, data-wise looks quite similar to mine at the lower frequencies (see attached).

Worryingly, your SNRM levels suggest you are currently achieving the max that your connection can physically handle.
Have your attenuation values also altered over a period of time?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:53:54 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

ben1066

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »

My attenuation seems fairly stable across time, it's just that the SNRM has dropped over time. I'm not too sure what I should do about this, I don't really want to have to fork out for an Openreach visit since the speed is still "acceptable" in BT's eyes. I haven't got access to a HG612 to test my connection unfortunately. I cannot get reliable data for error counts as the web interface seems to have some issue, and after a period of time it just gives erroneous counts. eDMT reporting different bands is likely me just mislabling the UI. As I mentioned before though, the main change has been in transmit power, and as far as I can tell, that isn't something I can change, making me thing it's an Openreach issue.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:29:29 PM by ben1066 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

I THINK you may have changed the units for DS transmit power?

For FTTC connections DS power tends to be around 12dBm or so & US around 6dBm or so.

I'm sure I read taht the more it increases (DLM controlled), the more the connection seems to be working hard to maintain stability and/or SNRM levels, so perhaps you would see 1 or 2 dBm increase in power levels in the evening when connections become "noisier".

Values of 100dBm or more for power seem way too high.

ben1066

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

Ah yes in that case I just fixed the UI.

ben1066

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »

Sorry for the bump, but what should I do about this. Considering I'm told I will get above 50Mb, this isn't really acceptable. I was getting 40Mb when I first had it installed!

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

What do you have as evidence of a deterioration over a period of time?

e.g. Daily IP Profile speeds, SNRM levels, Attenuation levels, SNR levels, error counts etc. etc.

If needs be, the data could be manually entered into text files space delimited & graphs generated as a visual aid.

I log my changing IP Profiles in a 2 coulmn text file like this:-

19/06/12 26910
20/06/12 27710
21/06/12 27750
22/06/12 27750
23/06/12 27330
24/06/12 27330
25/06/12 27490
25/06/12 28010
26/06/12 28010

From that format the attached graph can be generated. It seemed to help in my case.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:30:31 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:06:33 AM »

Im really sorry, Ive had a quick look at your graphs but I cant seem to see anything obvious. 
Im afraid Ive no experience of FTTC as we arent lucky enough yet to have it anywhere near here, which I why I seldom have much input in this section.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ben1066

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »

I haven't kept data no, though I do know that a month or two ago it was at about 35Mb.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »

I'm stuck for ideas/suggestions.

Without any before & after data it's really hard to prove a deterioration.

Even if you started logging right now, your connection has already deteriorated & possibly wouln't get much worse, so that might not help much either.

You mentioned that your modem keeps losing sync.
Are you able to complain about that, with some note of how often it happens?
The ECI modems, or yours anyway, may have something like the early HG612 models overheating issue causing regular resyncs?

It may be worth obtaining a HG612 via Ebay, just so you can log your ongoing stats over a longer continuous period that MIGHT highlight patterns of noise, disconnections, error counts etc.

Of course you would then face the hurdle of BT OR claimimg that use of an incompatible & unlocked modem has caused the issue in the first place & that any data has been obtained "unofficially" so cannot be considered as accurate.

ben1066

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »

Ended up phoning BT and Openreach just left. Found out some interesting stuff about my line.
1. It's copper all the way to the cab :D
2. It was the initial install bringing everything down, 2 master sockets -> 2 capacitors amongst other active circuitry
3. The BT estimate is still bloody optimistic, I'm getting 44 rather than 55, but hey, it's more than 12 :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »

Ah, a botched install.  ::)

Pleased to read that things have now been fixed.

If your DS throughput is never higher that 44 Mbps, it might be (financially) worthwhile going onto the 40/10 Mbps package.

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ben1066

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »

No cheaper on BT, they only offer 80/20 if you want unlimited data and it also gives you a higher priotization if I remember rightly. Im not sure it's entirely fixed, gotta wait for DLM to figure my line again but currently Im not getting 6db SNR according to my tool.

The way they moved the master socket confused me though, they used the existing internal wiring to make an extension the master and then it double backs to the extension from the master, which used to be the master...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:04:49 PM by ben1066 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

The way they moved the master socket confused me though, they used the existing internal wiring to make an extension the master and then it double backs to the extension from the master, which used to be the master...

Understood.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ben1066

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »

At least that's what they said they did. It seems however that my speed is dropping again D: I'm not entirely sure the downstairs socket IS filtered since when it cut out last is suspiciously close to when I made a phone call.... I'm gonna take off the panel and see what they did, shall report back.
EDIT: While the phone was later in use, 7 minutes after it cut out the first time, it lost sync again...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:39:39 PM by ben1066 »
Pages: [1] 2

anything