Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL DLM - How it works?  (Read 4645 times)

yorkie98

• Just arrived
VDSL DLM - How it works?
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »

Hi,
I had my fibre installed on thursday, all went very well and (without being able to see my sync speeds) I was getting up to nearly 70Mb down and about 14Mb up. As you can imagine, I was very pleased with this..
Next day, I decided to unlock my (thankfully Huawei) modem, which was easy and succesful. I also took out the supplied TalkTalk router and replaced it with a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT.
Once done, all was well, I checked my sync speed and was happy to see the max attainable is about 76 down and about 26000 up, actual sync was about 75000 down and 20000 up. All going well and looking good.
Only thing now is, my speedtests were nailed down to consistently 20Mb down, upload still performing same as before. Today I seem to be hitting 22-23 so a slight increase on yesterday.
Does it seems reasonable to assume that the turning off of the router for about 10 mins has caused the DLM to take what seems to be a very drastic action and restrict my throughput speed? I thought that the DLM was related only to the sync speed. Sync is still approx 75000/20000.
Is it likely that the speed will be increased incrementally back to the full speed and if so, how long is this likely to take?

TIA.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: VDSL DLM - How it works?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »

Does it seems reasonable to assume that the turning off of the router for about 10 mins has caused the DLM to take what seems to be a very drastic action and restrict my throughput speed? I thought that the DLM was related only to the sync speed. Sync is still approx 75000/20000.

DLM is not affected at all by router disconnections, unless a "faulty" router somehow causes modem disconnections.

However, PPPoE sessions initiated via the router can slow down due to contention and/or routing problems.
Thus a high modem sync speed can still see low router througput speeds.

Some ISPs and/or BT seem to be struggling to get the right balance on 80/20 services, where previously excellent connections that were able to max out the 40/10 service have massively fluctuating throughput speeds, despite remaining in sync at up to 80Mb.

Is it likely that the speed will be increased incrementally back to the full speed and if so, how long is this likely to take?

It may be worth disconnecting/reconnecting the router to force a new PPPoE session as you may just be connected to a currently heavily comgested gateway.
I believe BT have recently experienced serious routing issues & announced a MBORC, mainly due to some sort of issue at Faraday.
This may be related to your issue?

I would certainly report this matter to your ISP for further investigation if there is no improvement over the next day or so.

yorkie98

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »

Thanks, I tried rebooting all, still the same. I figured the best thing was to go back to square one so I put the original router back and the speeds are back up to where they should be, but using my own router, it wont go above 20. Very odd, will have to investigate further into the Linksys.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

Its not unusual at all, the Linksys WRT54GS is an old router by todays standards.

According to Smallnetbuilder its somewhere around 34Mbit max routing speed, but how its configured can make a difference.  Also in my experience when using OpenWRT or DD-WRT, the routing speed tends to be lower than stock firmware.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:43:56 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors