Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 8 Release Preview to be released today  (Read 19962 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Windows 8 Release Preview to be released today
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

The Release Preview for Windows 8 is expected to arrive today, after a Microsoft blog post leaked the date.

The new blog - on the subject of Windows 8 hardware - is still live, but the post promising downloads for the Release Preview would be available today has disappeared, though a screenshot was captured by Neowin.

The release had been expected to arrive this month, with the final version believed to be due in October.

The post, written by corporate vice president for development Chuck Chan, briefly outlined the tools for driver development - the Windows Driver Kit, Windows Hardware Certification Kit and Visual Studio - and promised "new features and improved existing ones" in the Release Preview.

"In addition to providing a modern tool set, we've also been hard at work improving power management and refining the way you provide a great user experience for devices with Metro style device apps," Chan wrote.

A leaked Chinese edition reportedly reveals new apps and the arrival of the updated boot screen, but not the new desktop UI, which isn't set to be fully revealed until the final version.

It's not the first Microsoft blog post about Windows 8 to be pulled; the company yanked one about multiple monitor support before reposting it days later without any changes.

Read more: Windows 8 Release Preview expected to arrive today | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/374941/windows-8-release-preview-expected-to-arrive-today#ixzz1wSNgzb9h
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: Windows 8 Release Preview to be released today
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »

Installed Win8 32bit version as VirtualBox guest. It works! Already downloaded the first 3 updates too.
The version of IE (10?) doesn't render some of my maps properly - the text in the milestones is misplaced - http://tinyurl.com/d4449ue

Cheers,
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »

I've had the 64-bit version installed since yesterday on an oldish (built for XP) HP Pavilion system.
Very disappointed; they've stuck with the mandatory Metro interface, not made it optional for desktops.  :'(

It's quick and slick and has a lot of really good improvements "under the hood" but the UI is dreadful with mouse/keyboard, just as it was on the Consumer Preview.

As The Register says:
Microsoft has taken the bold or foolish or obstinate (pick your favourite) decision to press ahead with its original design.

Microsoft will get this right eventually, even if it is not until Windows 9, and in the meantime Windows 7 is set for a long life. The company may not care much about that, since it is more concerned about competing with Apple's iPad.

I skipped Vista, looks like I'll skip 8 as well.  >:D

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »

Iam having troubles with it , 64-Bit ISO burned at 8x speed using UltraISO - i want to do a frsh install from boot, i just get black screen with "windows" in center then no disk activity at all.. just sits idle for ages... iam downloading it again and will burn at 4x speed (and I wont delete the bloody ISO this time either hehe)

edit: just read your post about metro...shame that, we wont be buying it then - i BET they change their minds and make it optional via an update when sales are poor

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »

It's a right mess really.
The functionality of Windows is so huge the Metro interface isn't appropriate and can't cope with it all, so for many things it just launches the appropriate top-level window and drops you into the old windows GUI anyway.
BUT, and this is the dumb thing, they've "crippled" that old GUI so that you HAVE to go back to Metro to kick things off again if you want something new.
I can see business users simply saying "up with this I will not put!" as it will actually reduce productivity for many.

On the other hand there's "talk" of a slightly-modified "business edition" which I'll bet will only be for those with large-scale corporate licensing  :-X . SME's who buy machines individually will not be happy.  >:(

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »

How could they get rid of the start button!!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »

I've got so peed off with the lack of an easy way to turn it off that I've created my own desktop shortcut.
Just create a shortcut with this as the target: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K shutdown /p /f   :graduate:
(for experts: /p = shutdown immediately /f = don't ask about open apps, just shut them)
If you're wanting to be less brutal replace /p /f with /s.....   :lol:

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:38:25 AM »

any1 know how to set up dual boot with win 7 thats on different drive?

I have bios set too boot SSDdrive  first which has win7 on, win8 is on a 2nd partition on the HDD drive - too boot 8 I have to access boot menu and choose the HDD from list

I tried EasyBCD from within windows 7 , i added window 8 (pointing to HDD) with a 3 second timeout with w7 as default, when i reboot and choose windows8 I get error about winload.exe or something like - CANNOT VERIFY DIGITAL SIGNATURE OF THIS FILE -> winload.exe

anyone?

EDIT: SUSSED IT - simply set the HDD as primary drive and done the BCD edit in windows 8 and works a charm, now the HDD is invoked for windows 8 boot file and then launches windows 7 off the SSD if i dont choose w8 from list in 3 secs :)

cheers
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:11:39 AM by snadge »

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »

How could they get rid of the start button!!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

Good !!!!  Proper Windows (Windows 3.11 for Workgroups) never had a start button in the first place  :P
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »

How could they get rid of the BIOS!!!! It's part of the history of Windows!!!! AHHH!!!

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »

Why add features and then take them away. For example, "Aero". I remember when Vista came out. Microsoft were so pleased with Aero and how good it was and how good it looked. Two versions later, "goodbye Aero!".

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »

Why add features and then take them away. For example, "Aero". I remember when Vista came out. Microsoft were so pleased with Aero and how good it was and how good it looked. Two versions later, "goodbye Aero!".
Very true.

I like the Aero effect and as Windows 8 looks like a backwards step graphics wise, I'll give it a miss !
Mike

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »

I actually like windows 8... even with the tiles.. (loser i know) - its quick and snappy - still has glass windows (which was aero) its just less snazzy - all text is much larger too - seen the CMD PROMPT? its like cmd prompt for the blind - i know they are optimizing it for tablets but they should allow us to switch it to a normal version - i think they will via an update once they see sales are poor because of this...

Im having to re-install the Belkin USB wifi driver at every boot :( -

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »

seen the CMD PROMPT?
Seems perfectly normal on my system.  ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »

Im having to re-install the Belkin USB wifi driver at every boot :( -

:doh:  D'oh!

What did you expect? It is a M$oft product.

Something is obviously "NotRight"!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2