Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router IP address  (Read 6432 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Router IP address
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »

Hi guys, I wonder if I can please pick your brains. I am thinking of changing my current router and have a conceptual block.

I currently have a DG834v2 (not wireless TI AR7 chipset) as my router and am using a DG834Gv2 as a wireless access point. My DSLAM's chipset is Alcatel / ALCB.

I am thinking of substituting my DG834v2 with a ST585v6 which uses a broadcom chipset but still keeping the DG834Gv2 as a WAP (ie I do want to use the ST585's wireless facility at all. My current wireless network is working just great and I see no reason to complicate my life). The reason for this change is that having read post about the possible TI AR7 / ALCB chipset conflict, I am hoping that this may cure the stuttering I get on my internet connection.

I am interested in the Speedtouch ST585v6 and to this end have a an IP address question.

The Netgear has IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.1-254. The Thomson has IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.1-254.

From my understanding the ST585's IP range cannot be changed as the gateway's IP address is 192.168.1.1. So in order to make the DG834Gv2 work, would I have to change it's IP address range? Can this be done with the DG834Gv2?

I hope I have explained myself clearly.

Apologies for this silly question but this is like a 'splinter in my mind' and I would rather be clear on this point before forking out money on the Speedtouch.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Router IP address
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »

As far as I know you can change the ST585 IP address and DHCP range quite easily. Go to its web interface and select Home Network --> Interfaces --> Local Network, then click on 'Configure'. On this screen you can edit the IP address and the DHCP pool ranges. In your case you would change the IP address to 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP pool to 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254.

This is based on the ST576 which I use, and I believe that all ST routers use a very similar web interface.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:10:24 PM »

>> My DSLAM's chipset is Alcatel / ALCB.
>> with a ST585v6 which uses a broadcom chipset

Firstly may I ask is there any reason why youre not going for a router with a TMMB or ALCB chipset if youre trying to achieve router/ dslam compatability?

Most routers do have somewhere where the default IP range can be changed. Ive done it on several different routers to acheive the same thing you are trying to do.

I'm not sure if the same is true on the 585's, but at first glance on the ST 576's it looked like you couldnt change the IP address.
My ST is currently out "on loan" so I cant check right now Im afraid - but I did manage to change it but IIRC from memory, it  "spoofed" the new IP address.

trying to explain it - easiest way ...

I could still access the router interface from 192.168.1.254 (the default IP addy)
and what I changed it to (192.168.7.100) so that it worked with another router which was acting as a wireless access point using the 192.168.7.x range.

You should have no problems changing the Netgear's default range.
Ive done this myself here with a dg834g v2 changing it from the 192.168.1.x range to the 192.168.7.x range.
Cant tell you offhand where it was in the interface though because that router was "on loan".
Hopefully someone with a netgear can have a quick look and point you to where it is in the interface if need be.

Dont forget you will need to turn DHCP off on at least one of the routers, (or both the routers and assign IP addresses manually on the PCs) for what you are trying to do to work.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:28:39 AM »

Many thanks for your replies.

As far as I know you can change the ST585 IP address and DHCP range quite easily. Go to its web interface and select Home Network --> Interfaces --> Local Network, then click on 'Configure'. On this screen you can edit the IP address and the DHCP pool ranges. In your case you would change the IP address to 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP pool to 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254.

This is based on the ST576 which I use, and I believe that all ST routers use a very similar web interface.

Many thanks for that info roseway, as well as the intructions you have given as to how to effect that change .

Firstly may I ask is there any reason why youre not going for a router with a TMMB or ALCB chipset if youre trying to achieve router/ dslam compatability?

To be honest I have read quite a few post about the ST585v6 and it seems to perform well with many users reporting no issues with Alcatel DSLAM chipsets. In the first instance, I wanted to try a router without the TI AR7 (which I have) and which has been the topic of much discussion.

You should have no problems changing the Netgear's default range.

Well worse case scenario if the ST585 is different to the ST575 in that the IP address range cannot be changed then I can tinker with the DG834Gv2.

Dont forget you will need to turn DHCP off on at least one of the routers, (or both the routers and assign IP addresses manually on the PCs) for what you are trying to do to work.

Noted. DHCP in my DG834Gv2 which is acting purely as a WAP is turned off.

I will let you know how I get on once I get my hands on an ST585v6

Many thanks for the info guys.

Cheers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 10:12:12 AM »

>> To be honest I have read quite a few post about the ST585v6 and it seems to perform well

Thanks for answering that - was just curious that if you were going for dslam compatability why you didnt go for one of the ST routers with a TMMB/ALCB chipset :)

Good luck with the router - let us know how it goes.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »

I will let you know how I get on. Knowing very little about this subject apart from what I have read, it appears that matching the router's chipset with that of the dslam's is not necessarily a recipy for success.

Read a post by a user today who's internet connection was giving him problems and he had TI chipset at the dslam and in his router. Apparently, switching to the st585 much improved his connection. This is not an isolated such post.

Cheers

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »

Be have switched to supplying ST585v6's as their BeBoxes (they used to provide the 780WL but I believe it had problems overheating, trying too hard to be a 'jack of all trades').

I don't have any criticism with the box itself, it seems to perform well enough. It isn't as straightforward as the Netgear to manage though. Stability wise it's great.

So I don't have any reason not to recommend it. I've not had it long enough to comment about it long-term, but it did hold my line for nearly 2 weeks without a resync, and I only rebooted because I suspected Be were having problems, but wanted to eliminate stuff at my end.
Chris