Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: help using switches on telnet  (Read 21332 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
help using switches on telnet
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »

Iam fiddling with DMT Tool telnet, I have read somewhere that the i24k switch helps with stability/errors (whether or not thats true I dont know) - as its not an option in my Netgear GT (DGteam) then Iam trying to enable it va telnet on DMT Tool but I dont know how too?

iam trying

adslctl start --i24k on

is this correct?

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: help using switches on telnet
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »

That would be the correct command (if it's supported in that version of the firmware). But information on the i24k switch seems to be rather hard to come by, so I don't know if it will do anything.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »

thanks again Roseway.. :)

I know when I enabled sesdrop...thats exactly what happened hehe (Session dropped) and it resynced

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »

Iam fiddling with DMT Tool telnet, I have read somewhere that the i24k switch helps with stability/errors (whether or not thats true I dont know) - as its not an option in my Netgear GT (DGteam) then Iam trying to enable it va telnet on DMT Tool but I dont know how too?

iam trying

adslctl start --i24k on

is this correct?

thanks

No one has discovered the source code for adslctl to confirm for sure.  However, the source code for Broadcom's ADSL driver is available. This reveals that the i24k switch is used to increase the interleaving memory from the default of 16kbyte to 24kbyte.  The idea is that more interleaving memory will cause the errored bits from impulse noise to be spread out more thinly.  Increased interleaving improves the chances that the Reed Solomon decoder will be able to correct more errored bits.  The RS decoder can only correct 'n' bits in error per data block.  And 'n' is determined here by the number of redundant bits that are allocated in a data block to error correction.  Greater interleaving spreads those errored bits across more data blocks, and the RS decoder can in theory correct more bits.

cheers, a

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »

ah haa - thanks for that asbokid, i read something about that on broadcoms phyre paper, so it would be good to use especially when using 3db SNRM :)

edit: does it stay between reboots/resyncs..?

edit2: when i enable it, it forces a resync at the default SNRM (it must have been that and not sesdrop that caused the dropout before) , is there a switch to check if its enabled? - what is sesdrop?

thanks for letn me pick your brain asbokid :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:21:45 PM by snadge »

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »

ah haa - thanks for that asbokid, i read something about that on broadcoms phyre paper, so it would be good to use especially when using 3db SNRM :)

edit: does it stay between reboots/resyncs..?

edit2: when i enable it, it forces a resync at the default SNRM (it must have been that and not sesdrop that caused the dropout before) , is there a switch to check if its enabled? - what is sesdrop?

thanks for letn me pick your brain asbokid :)

Hi, snadge.

Is this the Broadcom white paper (on IPTV)?  [1]

Sorry, don't know the answers to either question :-(  Although it makes sense that modifying the interleaving buffer size and depth would force a re-sync.

The --i24k switch for a 24kbyte interleaving memory buffer is probably a proprietary Broadcom extension to xDSL, so it would need a compatible (Broadcom) DSLAM to function.

sesdrop..  Speculating here but maybe it's the number of Severely Errored Seconds before the sync is dropped?

The source code for Broadcom's xDSL kernel driver is here.. [2]   Absent the source code for xdslcmd, that's about the best place for answers..

A few months ago, kitz contributor, JustAnother a.k.a. OmegaPhil a.k.a. OmegaWeapon did a very useful study of all the weird and wonderful switches to the [xdslcmd | adslctl l adslcfg] tool. [3]

cheers, a

[1] http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/wp/XDSL-WP101-R.pdf
[2] http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/broadcom-drivers-source-code/
[3] http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10289.msg
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:57:01 PM by asbokid »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »

hey thanks for those asbokid :)

I dunno about browsing through source code tho...im not that clever hehe, will take a look at the links anyhoo - yeah it was the IPTV paper I was reading and I read something about 16k/24k interleaving but I just skipped through it whilst trying to learn about PhYre

thanks again for the help :)

P.S. I aint heard from sky rep for a few days... perhaps he is off, I am busy printing out a complaint letter too sky to send off tomorrow.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:22:32 AM »

hey thanks for those asbokid :)

I dunno about browsing through source code tho...im not that clever hehe, will take a look at the links anyhoo - yeah it was the IPTV paper I was reading and I read something about 16k/24k interleaving but I just skipped through it whilst trying to learn about PhYre

thanks again for the help :)

P.S. I aint heard from sky rep for a few days... perhaps he is off, I am busy printing out a complaint letter too sky to send off tomorrow.

nothing very clever about it! i just grep the source code with sensible search strings..   wish i had some useful suggestions but i don't (other than be patient and wait for FTTC to reach your area!)

cheers, a

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »

@ asbokid - sesdrop = Enabling this option, it will be possible to reduce/eliminate transmission controls and error corrections on data packets, trying to reduce latency in particular on "Interleaved" path ADSL line. It's recommended not to use this option, because many unwanted reliability issues may occur, but if you have excellent line values, you can try to see its effects.
Selecting: default, the router will use ISP predefined setting, normally disabled.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »

adslctl start --i24k on

is this correct?

It should be "adslctl configure --i24k on". That's what I use anyway :) .

Edit: "adslctl start --i24k on" should work as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:14:11 PM by arobertson545 »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

adslctl start --i24k on

is this correct?

It should be "adslctl configure --i24k on". That's what I use anyway :) .

Edit: "adslctl start --i24k on" should work as well.

yeah I found both done same thing...  ive also found sesdrop and i24k are 2 different switches..they could still be used together or something? wish there was more info on this , AND , wish i could enabled it whilst enabling SNRM tweak / phyre and sesdrop

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »

wish i could enabled it whilst enabling SNRM tweak / phyre and sesdrop

You/one can. Just enter adslctl configure --snr WHATEVERVALUE --i24k on --phyReXmt on --sesdrop on.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

wish i could enabled it whilst enabling SNRM tweak / phyre and sesdrop

You/one can. Just enter adslctl configure --snr WHATEVERVALUE --i24k on --phyReXmt on --sesdrop on.

what are the values to get percentages on SNR..?  7db is my default.. say I want 50% or 35%

thanks

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »

@ asbokid - sesdrop = Enabling this option, it will be possible to reduce/eliminate transmission controls and error corrections on data packets, trying to reduce latency in particular on "Interleaved" path ADSL line. It's recommended not to use this option, because many unwanted reliability issues may occur, but if you have excellent line values, you can try to see its effects.
Selecting: default, the router will use ISP predefined setting, normally disabled.

Aha!  Good find, Snadge! Though not sure I'm brave enough to try it!

As for the reconnect script in the DGTeam software, is it expecting the name of a proper shell script rather than just a single shell command? A shell script means multiple commands could be run.

cheers, a

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »

I think so asbo because single line executions dont work?

do you know what to enter for SNR values as mentioned above?  if i want 35% of the TSNRM what do I enter as the value?
Pages: [1] 2 3